View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: FIXED: gnome settings daemon+some applets broken Reply with quote

I'm getting this after loggin in:

Code:

There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon. Somet things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The settings Deamon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Child Process did not give an error message, unkown failure occurred

Gnome will still try to restart the setting daemion next time you log in.

This topic seems related but the solutions there aren't helping in my case https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=272837&highlight=gnome+daemon

It started after hitting ctrl-alt-backspace to remove nvidia drivers which messed up the graphics(blurry) for some reason. I edited xorg.conf back to original, removed modules, etc. and got the graphics back to normal and after restarting X I've been getting this. currently the icons in the gnome menus are normal but the ones on the desktop aren't the correct ones.

.xsession-errors contains this:
Code:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "karsa"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
SESSION_MANAGER=local/kone:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7090
Unable to open desktop file moe-00a4fa2488.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'file:///home/karsa/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/moe-00a4fa2488.desktop': File not found
Unable to open desktop file gegl-00a5c7f5ee.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'file:///home/karsa/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/gegl-00a5c7f5ee.desktop': File not found
Unable to open desktop file frobate-00dd1f4772.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'file:///home/karsa/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/frobate-00dd1f4772.desktop': File not found
Unable to open desktop file blah-000156a437.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'file:///home/karsa/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/blah-000156a437.desktop': File not found
Unable to open desktop file greasy-001d23c1d9.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'file:///home/karsa/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/greasy-001d23c1d9.desktop': File not found
Unable to open desktop file larry-00891e2895.desktop for panel launcher: Error reading file 'file:///home/karsa/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/larry-00891e2895.desktop': File not found
No running windows found
Gnome session manager detected - session management disabled

I tried re-emerging gnome-applets and gconf but it didn't help. I tried revdep-rebuild too and it fails at some point which I'll post here once I've rerun it if it happens again.

Last edited by inha on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
inha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed: problem was caused by some sort of a combination of broken gnome-media and gst-plugins. just in case anyone else gets this again do a revdep-rebuild and if it fails try emerging the packages it fixes either one at a time or all at once in different order than how it tries it at first. it tried to rebuild gnome-media before gst-plugins and that messed my stuff up.

I still have no idea how ctrl-alt-backspacing can cause a mess like this though...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: