Muine hangs - requires upgrade to gcc 3.4?? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Muine hangs - requires upgrade to gcc 3.4?? [solved] Reply with quote

I've been using Muine for a while and was very happy with it. I didn't use it for maybe a week during which I continued upgrading my system normally and when I tried running it again, it would run but would hang after a couple seconds: no error message, no cpu usage.

Since then, I've tried reinstalling muine, mono and other dependencies. I've tried creating a new user to rule out a configuration problem. I've looked at the packages I've upgraded since mid-december (there are a lot!) to find a possible culprit. I've looked at forums for a solution, but still nothing... The only potential issue that I've found is that I have glibc installed with nptl enabled (nls is the only other use flag enabled for glibc) and mono complains about nptl saying that gcc 3.4 should be used to compile mono in order to use nptl. I've looked at portage logs before and I was having this warning for a while and muine was running fine.

I've tried everything I could think of and the only thing left is upgrading to gcc 3.4 but I really don't want to do that just yet. Does anyone have any other ideas on things to try?

Thanks,

catkfr

Last edited by catkfr on Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eskarel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't hang, but it does sort of get 100% cpu usage for a number of minutes, I was mucking around with various versions of enlightnenment, and upgraded and such a few things. I think it actually happened some time around the middle of january.

I have to get around to doing an emerge -e world again, I started one, but my pc froze so it didn't get to finish.
Eskarel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try opening gconf-editor, go to apps/muine and check if "first run" or something like that is checked. I found that it was checking through my file on every load, which was using up a lot of cpu resources. This seems to have fixed the problem.
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my post. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no cpu usage: muine really just hangs there. For example, once I launch it, if I resize the window, muine doesn't react to it (no redraw), the buttons are also inactive...
catkfr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I looked back into this and found the problem looking deeper into bug reports. It turns out the problem was due to a bug in gtk+. This bug happened from what I read, when using gtk-sharp, and gtk+ compiled with march=pentium4. So I tried recompiling gtk+ changing my CFLAG from march=pentium4 to mcpu=pentium4 and I can now reuse muine. Finally!!!

By the way, does anyone know how to set package specific CFLAGS?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: