View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: What are the most cutting-edge apps Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area, but I've seen simlar questions here:

What do you think are the most cutting edge apps. I'm not asking about what is the best DE or has the greatest eye candy or will make your Aunt Martha give up Microslop forever, I a want to know what apps out there seem to be a completely new thing, that do something that is usefull that hasn't been done or at least hasn't been done this way before. Has anyone encountered anything like this?
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Plan 9 count?
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say udev, hal, dbus, gstreamer and the new xorg development model. And HURD, of course. :) Seriously, thought, there are a few technologies emerging (no pun intended) that seems to be the way to go. Not really ready for prime time yet, but they'll soon be standard, allowing them to grow up faster and in a unified way.
patm1987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metisse of course. but that's a bit complicated to set up. e17. e17 apps (such an engage <--- best one).

hmm, kfmclient is an awsome file manager, although I use nautilus (spining in 3d, mu wa ha ha)

project looking glass although that doesn't have good X11 application support (anything with gtk gets messed up in some way, and qt doesn't work at all there). Croquet (although it sufferes similar errors, you can run native apps using some remote application thingy that I should shoot myself for not remembering the name of. v something)

qingy is a great launcher (a great way to start your day or desktop)

hmm... can't wait for the next screenshots thread, I have a killer one with 3 movies, translucent and rotated in 3d, on top of each other, with one corner peeled back to look behind it.

but I'm gonna stop at the kool looking eyecandy, cause that's all I care about (and it's very different from windows). Other apps I use are just my preferred applications, and this thread isn't about this (I think, I could b wrong, not my thread)
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I'm looking for the best *-app, (though I'd be open to hearing about a revolutionary new type of *-app) but for something that is completely different, something fairly new. A VisiCalc, a LotusAgenda, an Emacs or Eliza.

Something to testify to the full creativity that open software can unleash.

Anyone? Bueler? Anyone?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: