View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Changing KDE/Qt theme from Gnome Reply with quote

I use Gnome exclusively so I don't have KDE installed, only the bare necessities like Qt and kdelibs so I can run K3b and a couple of other KDE apps I can't live without.

My problem is I can't stand the Keramik theme the KDE apps use by default, but since I don't have the KDE Control Center installed, I can't figure out how to change the theme (installing KDE Control Center depends on a full of KDE installation, and I refuse to do that). Specifically, I'm hoping to be able to use the qindustrial theme for Qt that ships with SuSE, but right now anything other than Keramik is sufficient.

Anyone have any ideas?
mrpdaemon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try qtconfig.
caravela
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have control center installed and i just instaled kdelib, kdebase and kdeartwork for the themes ..., in you case you just need to install kdebase.
or you can ask someone to send you .kde folders configured for you.
hybrid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also help developping metatheme :
http://metatheme.advel.cz/
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpdaemon wrote:
Try qtconfig.

I switched themes using qtconfig and restarted Gnome and K3b, but I still get Keramik. :cry:

caravela wrote:
i have control center installed and i just instaled kdelib, kdebase and kdeartwork for the themes ..., in you case you just need to install kdebase.

I'll save that option for a last resort. :wink:

hybrid wrote:
you can also help developping metatheme :
http://metatheme.advel.cz/

This looks like an interesting project but it's not yet ready for primetime. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Any other suggestions?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either kcontrol or kcmshell --list to list and kcmshell <foo> to view single dialogs.
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Either kcontrol or kcmshell --list to list and kcmshell <foo> to view single dialogs.

Thanks, but I have neither kcontrol nor kcmshell. I only have the kdelibs package installed.
psyeye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflux wrote:
Thanks, but I have neither kcontrol nor kcmshell. I only have the kdelibs package installed.

You need kcontrol (or kcmshell) to change the appearance of kde-apps. qtconfig only sets themes for qt-only apps (like lyx for example).

Code:
emerge kdebase
to get kcontrol / kcmshell. I see no other solution for you... :(

psyeye
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gave in and installed kdebase. I then grabbed ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.2/suse/i586/qindustrial-0.0.2-5.1.i586.rpm and manually installed the 4 files from the rpm into Gentoo's KDE directory (SuSE uses /opt/kde 8O ).

Then I ran kcontrol, selected the QIndustrial style and the Industrial color scheme, and now K3b looks much better. Industrial under Qt doesn't look as clean as GTK+. Hopefully it will improve.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflux wrote:
and manually installed the 4 files from the rpm into Gentoo's KDE directory (SuSE uses /opt/kde 8O ).

(almost) only kdebase/* stuff goes into $kdedir. Everything else gets installed into /usr. You shouldn't touch your system this way. Use /usr/local instead. That prevents getting in conflict with Portage by accident. You can read in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard about it.
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
(almost) only kdebase/* stuff goes into $kdedir. Everything else gets installed into /usr.

Sorry, the first statement makes no sense. Almost and only are mutually exclusive concepts. What precisely are you trying to say? ;)

The second statement is redundant in light of the first because $KDEDIRS on Gentoo is by default /usr, and thus you seem to be saying that kdebase stuff goes into /usr and everything else goes into /usr. Again, what are you trying to say?

Quote:
You shouldn't touch your system this way. Use /usr/local instead. That prevents getting in conflict with Portage by accident. You can read in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard about it.

Yes I know about FHS and /usr/local, but this is a theme, and all other KDE themes are stored in /usr, so that's where I'm putting my theme too. I highly doubt Portage is going to choke over 4 theme files, especially since I won't be installing any other KDE themes (ebuild or otherwise).
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflux wrote:
Sorry, the first statement makes no sense. Almost and only are mutually exclusive concepts. What precisely are you trying to say? ;)

There are some issues with plugin stuff etc. e.g. amarok can't beinstalled in /usr.

bitflux wrote:
The second statement is redundant in light of the first because $KDEDIRS on Gentoo is by default /usr, and thus you seem to be saying that kdebase stuff goes into /usr and everything else goes into /usr. Again, what are you trying to say?

I refer to $kdedir as defined in /etc/env.d/, not $kdedirs.

bitflux wrote:
Yes I know about FHS and /usr/local, but this is a theme, and all other KDE themes are stored in /usr, so that's where I'm putting my theme too. I highly doubt Portage is going to choke over 4 theme files, especially since I won't be installing any other KDE themes (ebuild or otherwise).

It was meant as a general comment. In fact Portage is rather careful. A stale lib or header can cause problems which are hard to track down, though.
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I refer to $kdedir as defined in /etc/env.d/, not $kdedirs.

Exactly what file in /etc/env.d has $kdedir defined? I have a file /etc/env.d/99kde-env which defines:

Code:
KDEDIRS=/usr

But as you can see that's not $kdedir. And when I issue the "set" command in a console, I don't see kdedir listed as being defined, but I do see KDEDIRS.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grep KDEDIR /etc/env.d/*kde* should print something like this:
/etc/env.d/58kdedir-3.3.2:KDEDIR=/usr/kde/3.3
/etc/env.d/99kde-env:KDEDIRS=/usr

bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
grep KDEDIR /etc/env.d/*kde* should print something like this:
/etc/env.d/58kdedir-3.3.2:KDEDIR=/usr/kde/3.3

/etc/env.d/99kde-env:KDEDIRS=/usr

Ah, so now it's $KDEDIR and not $kdedir. On *nix those are two completely different variables. :wink:

Two more questions:

1. The output of grep KDEDIR /etc/env.d/*kde* doesn't print the filenames along with the matching lines as in your example, it only prints the matching lines. Where did you get those filenames?

2. I don't have any files named *kdedir* in /etc/env.d. Again, I only have kdebase and kdelibs installed. There is no $KDEDIR (or $kdedir for that matter) defined on my system, as evidenced by the output of the set command. So if kdebase stuff goes into $KDEDIR as we've now established you were trying to say, then how did it get installed into the proper directory when there was no $KDEDIR defined? :?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflux wrote:
Ah, so now it's $KDEDIR and not $kdedir. On *nix those are two completely different variables. :wink:

You just admitted to be as fussy as your box. :P

bitflux wrote:
1. The output of grep KDEDIR /etc/env.d/*kde* doesn't print the filenames along with the matching lines as in your example, it only prints the matching lines. Where did you get those filenames?

It does, when the argument resolves to more than a single file. You can force it via the -H option.

bitflux wrote:
2. I don't have any files named *kdedir* in /etc/env.d. Again, I only have kdebase and kdelibs installed. There is no $KDEDIR (or $kdedir for that matter) defined on my system, as evidenced by the output of the set command. So if kdebase stuff goes into $KDEDIR as we've now established you were trying to say, then how did it get installed into the proper directory when there was no $KDEDIR defined? :?

The arts and kdelibs ebuilds add this env entry. No idea, why it got removed on your box (the advice to do so is floating in this board, but it is a bad one). $KDEDIR is superseeded by $KDEDIRS, it's just there for compatibility. Quite a few ebuilds still refer to it - not counting unknown old and broken auto* stuff, so the entry should exist. The installation of kdebase/* depend on neither one of these variables.
bitflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
The arts and kdelibs ebuilds add this env entry. No idea, why it got removed on your box (the advice to do so is floating in this board, but it is a bad one).

If that's the case and a file defining KDEDIR was present in my /etc/env.d, it may have been removed the other day when I installed arts to satisfy a dependency for a package I was emerging then removed it once the emerge was complete.
Lensman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also change the theme for KDE apps by editing the file ~./kde/share/config/kdeglobals and set the widget style. This is what my kdeglobals looks like:
Code:
[$Version]
update_info=kded.upd:kde3.0

[General]
fixed=Terminus 9 Pitch,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
font=Bitstream Vera Sans,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
foreground=0,0,0
menuFont=Bitstream Vera Sans,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
widgetStyle=comix

[Icons]
Theme=nuvola
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: