Can't emerge system?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingsblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Can't emerge system?! Reply with quote

Hi all you gentoo freaks

I really need your help.

1. I recently decided to install Gentoo, and are following guide from scratch booting from a universal liveCD.

Im going for stage1, and all are completed with no problem, until I come to the point where I am emerging my system.
This take ½ min and comes out with failure, which I cant remember since im not home.

-----------------------------------------------------
Code Listing 17: Building the System
# emerge system

2. Only thing I thought about twice was this command, which didnt act like I think it should. when I env-update, it didnt return the * caching line, but only said >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache!!??
----------------------------------------------------------
Code Listing 4: Chrooting into the new environment

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
* Caching service dependencies...
# source /etc/profile
-----------------------------------------------------------

3. Also I figured this command shouldnt be neccesary if I can use the scripts/bootstrap.sh in the previous step:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Code Listing 14: Removing linux-headers from your system

# emerge -C linux-headers
# emerge --oneshot --nodeps linux26-headers
# scripts/bootstrap.sh
--------------------------------------------------------

All help appriciated, as you might see im not really a hardcore gentoo user, but doing my best. :)

Best regards

Henrik I. Jensen

Last edited by Kingsblue on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:44 am; edited 3 times in total
dacha_san
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can't emerge system?! Reply with quote

Kingsblue wrote:
Hi all you gentoo freaks

I really need your help.

1. I recently decided to install Gentoo, and are following guide from scratch booting from a universal liveCD.

Im going for stage1, and all are completed with no problem, until I come to the point where I am emerging my system.
This take ½ min and comes out with failure, which I cant remember since im not home.

Code Listing 5: Updating the Portage tree
# emerge --sync

2. Only thing I thought about twice was this command, which didnt act like I think it should. when I chroot'ed into my new enviroment, I didnt notice any real difference. Also the env-update didnt return the * caching line, but said someone different, I cant really remember, not a failure but something else. Also, after this point im still standing in the liveCD promt, shouldnt this be something else, as Im in my new enviroment?!
Code Listing 4: Chrooting into the new environment

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
* Caching service dependencies...
# source /etc/profile

3. Also I figured this command shouldnt be neccesary if I can use the scripts/bootstrap.sh in the previous step:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Code Listing 14: Removing linux-headers from your system

# emerge -C linux-headers
# emerge --oneshot --nodeps linux26-headers
# scripts/bootstrap.sh
--------------------------------------------------------

All help appriciated, as you might see im not really a hardcore gentoo user, but doing my best. :)

Best regards

Henrik I. Jensen

First, do you have working network/internet connection. If not, you can only use stage3 to set up your Gentoo.
after U chroot into the new environment, you will stil have the prompt "livecd /#".
Kingsblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have connection, otherwice I wouldnt have come this far, I used mirrorlist ealiere with no prob, and I too got portage downloaded.

It's not net connection, I double checked.

BTW.: I corrected first code from portage to emerge system, did copypaste the wrong code, sry.
dacha_san
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingsblue wrote:
Yes, I do have connection, otherwice I wouldnt have come this far, I used mirrorlist ealiere with no prob, and I too got portage downloaded.

It's not net connection, I double checked.

BTW.: I corrected first code from portage to emerge system, did copypaste the wrong code, sry.

Hmm, could you post me your make.conf file, and try to go back to the step where you should confgiure your net connection.
Kingsblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im at work now, so cant write it out, but as I kept it clean I can almost remember it.

But its identical as the one set in the guide!

I dont know if im able to post it when I get home, links or lynx isnt on my gentoo yet, so im probably not able to get online with any browser.
kawsper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also tried this, it was because i just read the guide very fast.

Did you do this:

From gentoo handbook:
Copy DNS Info

One thing still remains to be done before we enter the new environment and that is copying over the DNS information in /etc/resolv.conf. You need to do this to ensure that networking still works even after entering the new environment. /etc/resolv.conf contains the nameservers for your network.

Code:
(The "-L" option is needed to make sure we don't copy a symbolic link)
# cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

It was my solution.
zjf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: compile errors Reply with quote

I have had similar problems (I have installed gentoo several times before, and have only occasionally seen these errors) I downloaded all the packages, but when I ran the emerge system to compile it, it was compiling bzip2, and threw several errors, all saying:

bzip2.c:557: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

now, I have found that this is caused by trying to compile programs written around older versions of gcc, but since I'm using gcc 3.3.4, these errors occasionally show up. I have never seen these errors on an install, and generally when I do see them, there were other ways to install the program that worked better. in this instance, I don't know what to do since it occured during the install process. any help would be appreciated
Kingsblue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I copied the DNS info to my working enviroment.

I did the optional mirrorselect, which might have been the prob.
I later read the make.conf.example which told me, that inserting mirrors can cause probs, if you do not manually insert the official gentoo mirror at last, which I didnt as the guide didnt say anything about this.

Now I rsync with europian mirrors, and not specific mirrors.

I did it all again from start, and are emerging system once again, which has been going on for an hour soon with no errors.

Weird as I did the exact same things as before, if its not the mirrorselect, which I skipped this time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: