2004.3 LiveCD hangs on AutoConfigure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: 2004.3 LiveCD hangs on AutoConfigure Reply with quote

Here are my system specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
512 MB RAM
Gigabyte 7n400 pro2 (nForce 2 chipset)
realtek 8139too nic
gigabyte geforce 5700 w/128 MB RAM
IBM 20GB HDD
Seagate Baracuda 40 GB HDD (for windows)
Asus TV/FM Tuner/Capture Card
NEC 3500A DVD+-RW
Plextor 121032A (CDRW)

When I pop either the universal or mininal install cd in the drive, it hangs on the autoconfigure--I let it run 2+ hours and it never moved on.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows of an exact release date for 2005.0, I would like to know (since if its in the next week or so, I may just wait for that)

Thanks.
Black Imp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2004.3 LiveCD hangs on AutoConfigure Reply with quote

darksarin wrote:
Here are my system specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
512 MB RAM
Gigabyte 7n400 pro2 (nForce 2 chipset)
realtek 8139too nic
gigabyte geforce 5700 w/128 MB RAM
IBM 20GB HDD
Seagate Baracuda 40 GB HDD (for windows)
Asus TV/FM Tuner/Capture Card
NEC 3500A DVD+-RW
Plextor 121032A (CDRW)

When I pop either the universal or mininal install cd in the drive, it hangs on the autoconfigure--I let it run 2+ hours and it never moved on.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows of an exact release date for 2005.0, I would like to know (since if its in the next week or so, I may just wait for that)

Thanks.

do u have any usb mouse or keyboard? if so, select from your motherboard bios 'managed by BIOS' instead od ' by OS'. or something like that.
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check that the image file isnt corrupted
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: corrupted file && usb mouse Reply with quote

I have a usb mouse, and I will try that in a bit--can't right this second, but will get back to that.

The image file is fine (MD5 checks out), so that's a dead end. I had considered it as a possibility myself, but hadn't checked until now.

Will post results of other test later.
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I checked the USB mouse controlled by OS/BIOS, and there was no such option in the BIOS for this board. Unless you have some other suggestions, I am just going to wait for the 2005.0 version.

Thanks again, though.
Black Imp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

darksarin wrote:
I checked the USB mouse controlled by OS/BIOS, and there was no such option in the BIOS for this board. Unless you have some other suggestions, I am just going to wait for the 2005.0 version.

Thanks again, though.

is your mobo revision 1.0 or 2.0?

i've just had a look at the 1.0 revision manual:

Integrated Peripherals menu:

USB mouse support: Enable

try that and let us know :)
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: that was easy---done! Reply with quote

unfortunately, it makes no difference, as that is how I had it set initially. Now, I did have floppy cable connected, but the drive was unpowered, so I wonder if that may have impacted this, or if the non-functioning usb ports that I had connected were causing problems?

Either way, I have bigger fish to fry. I tried Vidalinux (since it is similar to Linux) and managed to hose the MBR/partition table for winblows XP in the process. This dual boot was fine, except it became single boot with JUST vidalinux.

As a side note, VidaLinux is not that great--I had a terrible time with portage working properly.

They need a lot of help.

But back to my OQ, if you have any other ideas, I would appreciate it.
Black Imp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: that was easy---done! Reply with quote

darksarin wrote:
unfortunately, it makes no difference, as that is how I had it set initially. Now, I did have floppy cable connected, but the drive was unpowered, so I wonder if that may have impacted this, or if the non-functioning usb ports that I had connected were causing problems?

non functioning? meaning it doesn't work or it's desabled?
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try booting with the nodetect option, this will ignore the automated hardware detection and continue. You will probably have to load the appropriate kernel modules afterwards, but that's something to think about when this indeed resolves the issue and others pop up :)
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: that was easy---done! Reply with quote

Black Imp wrote:
darksarin wrote:

non functioning? meaning it doesn't work or it's desabled?

I had the front ports working, then my son jerked the usb key out of the socket and ruined the socket (but not the key, thank goodness). As a result, those porst where not functioning, and may have had some crossed wires in them. I hadn't unplugged them, so that may have caused the problem, I'm not sure.

Quote:

Try booting with the nodetect option, this will ignore the automated hardware detection and continue. You will probably have to load the appropriate kernel modules afterwards, but that's something to think about when this indeed resolves the issue and others pop up Smile

I was not aware of the nodetect option--I'll try it. If I understand things correctly, the only kernel option I would really need to enable is my network card, and (if using a SATA drive) SATA drivers. Can you think of anything else that would be necessary for this?
Black Imp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me suggest you then to unplug your spoiled usb frame before renouncing to use linux autodetecting
Biscuit head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the same mobo as you, and i had the same problem, i went though the process of turning things off in the BIOS and it turned out to be the onboard sound card. Yes i do use a USB keyboard and mouse, but i havn't had my usb socket ruined out.

So now i could boot with it autodetect. Then noticed that the nic still was not working. It turns out IRQ16 was being disabled, which is the onboard nic is asigned to, and i looking in the BIOS to change it, but i couldn't change it.

So i ended up using the knoppix live cd to install gentoo, but i ran into one problem when trying to install lilo (error about /dev file system), so i used the gentoo live cd to install the bootloader, and all it working well now.

So what im saying, is use the knoppix livecd :D
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

The really odd thing is that I have installed gentoo previously using this mobo, and I did not run into any problems, even with onboard sound. That's what's got me frustrated, not that I am having trouble.

The autoconfigure should work fine, and other distros aren't having any trouble at all, so I don't understand the problem.

I tried again, just the other day without the hosed usb frame, and it did the same darn thing--just hung on autoconfig. Maybe I'll try it without that, and just load the kernel modules for my nic (which works just fine).

Oh well.
Black Imp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

darksarin wrote:
The really odd thing is that I have installed gentoo previously using this mobo, and I did not run into any problems, even with onboard sound. That's what's got me frustrated, not that I am having trouble.

The autoconfigure should work fine, and other distros aren't having any trouble at all, so I don't understand the problem.

I tried again, just the other day without the hosed usb frame, and it did the same darn thing--just hung on autoconfig. Maybe I'll try it without that, and just load the kernel modules for my nic (which works just fine).

Oh well.

i'm sorry. in my personal opinion, as long as it is possible it's always better to keep autoconfigure on while installing OS with a live cd. it could turn out useful for understanding problems causes when the installed system doesn't work.

did you modify somehow your bios between the two installations? maybe you have flashed it up or clear it ? - sorry for the trivial question, maybe you have forgotten something you did -

By the way, does it work now disabling onboard audio card ?
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: unfortunately, no Reply with quote

I disabled that, and it still fails to function. I am not very happy with this situation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: