Things all work!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Things all work! Reply with quote

Gentoo is my main linux Distro, but every distro including gentoo I've used has had these issues with really got to me but I worked my way around it.

I'm finally able to say all my hardware works at once under development-sources 2.6.10 FINALLY :D

Lets see.
1. USB storage device support: Sony camera and ipod always worked. My cheap generic thumb drive worked depending on kernel release. Last time it worked on 2.6.7 and with 2.6.9 it refused to work with HAL enabled, it would take down the entire subsystem for usb. It works fine in 2.6.10

2. I'm still running test, but looking at the kernel change log its probably solved and my inital tests suggest the same thing. The problem I had which was a BIG one, was that every time I wrote to my SATA drive attached to a PCI promoise sata card, and there was network transfer, the network would die (or as the log says do up and down every few seconds). Not acceptable. My solution at the time was get a new nic. the b44 apparently is reporting link is down incorrectly but it only happened to be when doing the above. This looks good with kernel 2.6.10

3. gensplash works :) it always did but its nice that it continues to work

I'm running udev and nptl as well
I'm pleased!
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these patches work?
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2005/Jan/1442.html
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to apply them, very busy these days.
Its an interesting concept, cheers for the link
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed them at home (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r13, you also need the zaphod patch). If you start compiling stuff there are some glitches for a short while (xmms skipping), but after some time the algo seems to find it's optimum and everything runs smooth again.. I did no real benchmarking though, just love the concept..

One thing I noticed (but unsure if it's caused by the patches or by the kernel upgrade itself) is that my system hardlocks when I pull out my usb stick. I've looked into this a bit and it's probably caused by the rmmod usb_storage that hotplug executes when you unplug the stick.. I guess I will look into it more this weekend (hope they update the patches to kernel 2.6.10 :))
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I plug in the system HAL/gnome mounts it for me. When I fnish I unmount it and pull it out. and things are okay.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: