Using distcc with PC's without Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamour
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Using distcc with PC's without Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm pretty interested in turning a friend of mine's Windows-based server/router to a Gentoo-based one. The problem is that the machine is relatively old, sporting a Pentium III 700MHz. I wish to do a stage1 install on it.

Now, there are two pretty powerful machines on his local network, and those are the ones I hope to be able to hook up to the server through distcc to greatly speed things up.

Here's the thing... One of them is on SUSE, and the other doesn't have any Linux installation at all. So here's the million dollar question: is there any way to use distcc with those two boxes anyway? For example, is there a way to run distcc/distccd from the Gentoo LiveCD?
pHeel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am a nood still so take what I give you as a point to start looking .

I have used cygwin to do distcc but I needed a friend to stop by and set it up as I didnt understand exactly what to do. I know it allowed me to use my windows box to distcc for my bootstap on an old PII to use as a router.

Here is the link to Gentoo Distcc Documentation - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

And Google is your friend!!! I accomplished what your after with a little help from a friend. We used 2 windows boxxes and 3 linux boxxes to be a distcc farm for my old PII. But you will need to have more help than I can offer . There is a ton of distcc post just search it up and read. Its been to long since I set it up to remeber everthing but the info is here.

GL to you I will dig thru my links and see if I can find the info we used.
Cadorna
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the machine that has no linux, boot it up with knoppix and run distcc, for the one that has Suse, just compile distcc there
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for distcc you just need the same version of whatever compiler youre using on each computer (usually gcc).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: