speedfreq not responding
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BofuR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: speedfreq not responding Reply with quote

I've just installed speedfreq on my laptop.

I've run "rc-update add speedfreq boot" to make it autostart, and so far everything seems fine.
But when I try to use it, noting happens. The only thing that works is "speedfreq help" and "man speedfreq". When I try some of the commands (like speedfreq -s ect.), there is no response. I don't get any errormsg or anyting. Just a new blank commandline... ?

Just to check that it really is running I tried to use "/etc/init.d/speedfreq start", and then I get the msg (as expected) "WARNING: "speedfreq" has already been started.".
I've also tried to stop it (to perhaps try to restart it) with "/etc/init.d/speedfreq stop", but I then get the error "Could not kill pid '6382'".

A friend of mine said that he had heard that speedfreq don't work on kernels newer then 2.6.8 (mine is 2.6.9) - could anybody perhaps verify this?

PS: I'm very new to linux and gentoo, so please don't be to technical in your explanation :D

Join the adopt an unanswered post initiative.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the speedfreq daemon just seems to freak out and you have to kill it to be able to restart:
Code:
killall -KILL speedfreqd

Afterwards try to restart:
Code:
/etc/init.d/speedfreq restart

If it complains it can't stop speedfreq, zap it:
Code:
/etc/init.d/speedfreq zap
/etc/init.d/speedfreq start

speedfreq however works fine with recent kernels, I'm using it with 2.6.10 this moment.
BofuR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - helped me to get a little further.
But I encountered another problem:

Using "speedfreq help" i see that the available policies are powersave, performance, dynamic. Switching back and forth between powersave and performance works just fine, but when I try to switch to dynamic, I get the following error:
Code:

bofur linux # speedfreq -p dynamic
/usr/sbin/speedfreqd: can't open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/speedfreqd: can't open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed: No such file or directory

When this happens I also need to zap it again.

Of course I understand that there is some file missing, but I don't get why It's not there, and what I can do to fix it (refering back to my lack of experience with linux :) )
Listing the content of the specific directory shows this:
Code:

bofur linux # ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
cpuinfo_cur_freq               scaling_available_governors  scaling_max_freq
cpuinfo_max_freq               scaling_cur_freq             scaling_min_freq
cpuinfo_min_freq               scaling_driver
scaling_available_frequencies  scaling_governor

One last ting - I'm sure it's just a lame question:
As you excpected it did't work to kill speedfreq, I needed to zap it. But what does it actully mean to "zap" it? And why shouldn't it work to just kill it?

Once agin - thanks for the help so far :D

Join the adopt an unanswered post initiative.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're missing the userspace governor in your kernel configuration. Only when it's available and in use, scaling_setspeed is created.

BofuR wrote:

As you excpected it did't work to kill speedfreq, I needed to zap it. But what does it actully mean to "zap" it? And why shouldn't it work to just kill it?

The daemon seems to ignore a normal exit signal, so you've got to send a kill. "zap" resets the state of the init script to stopped. This is normally done by the /etc/init.d/speedfreq stop function itself, but it's not going to happen if the stop function exits with an error code (i.e. you get the red !!). As you killed speedfreq yourself it's actually stopped, thus "zap" is ok.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: