Install gentoo with reiser3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaksi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Install gentoo with reiser3 Reply with quote

Hi!

I want to upgrade my partitions to reiser4 and I think the easist way is to re-install from scratch. Is there an easy way to get a list of what packages I have emerge so when I have made a clean installl I can just type emerge --list-- and all my packages will be re-emerged?

Also, is there a good totorial/howto on howto install gentoo woth reiser4?
Genn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, to get a list of everything on the system you can do 'emerge -Dpet world', however it won't be in a format you can easily use to remerge programs. What would probably be a better alternative would be to do 'regenworld' and then save the world file. That way you could do
'cat world_file | xargs emerge'. That should remerge everything.

Another method to doing this would require some space, but it works well. I used this method more or less. You can copy over the contents of '/' (minus proc, dev, mnt, sys) to another hard drive. You can then reformat your harddrive and copy everything back over. This method should only be used if you are currently running reiser3. If you want to try this method I can give you some more info.

To install Gentoo with reiser4 you have to use a patched kernel source by either using a prepateched kernel source (I use vivid-sources right now, love has it and I think ck does too, I'm not sure about the rest) or by patching the kernel yourself--the namesys patch compiles cleanly against gentoo-dev-sources, or so I've read. You then need to configure the kernel to support reiser4 (should be under filesystem, if it isn't disable 4k stacks). Compile reiser4progs and then format the drives to reiser4. Last all you need to do is be sure to put 'reiser4' in the filesystem column in your fstab. And that should do it. I do think there have been some problems using reiser4 on the boot partition, but I'm not sure. I'm still using ext3 for that partition.

I'm sorry this is a little rushed; I have somewhere to be shortly. Hopefully it's understandable. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: