View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: KDE doesn't save rehresh rate selection Reply with quote

ok, this should be filed under "not critical, but annoying"

you see, i use a KVM switch, and so when i use a refresh rate that is too high, you start notincing lines and such. the default seems to be 85Hz for something... unnecessarily high anyways IMO. so i go in the Control Center and change the setting in Display, and throttle it down to 70-72Hz in both displays (i am using a multihead setup).

however, whenever i exit KDE/X and then start it up again, the refresh rate is set again to 85! i can't figure out why it isn't saving the setting.

help? i suspect i can jimmy rig it by changing the VertRefresh settings in xorg.conf, but i'd rather fix this rather than just workaround it if possible.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE can only apply the refresh settings once you log into KDE; it doesn't modify your xorg.conf. Do you have the "Apply Settings on KDE Startup" box checked?

If that doesn't work, you'll need to do some fooling with your xorg.conf. By default, xorg uses the highest refresh rate for your given resolution, horizontal refresh, vertical refresh and pixel clock. If you want to specify a different refresh, you'll probably need to make your own modeline. To do that, use:

Code:
gtf <x resolution> <y resolution> <refresh rate>

That will print out a modeline. Copy that modeline into the Monitor section of your xorg.conf, taking note of the name of that modeline (the first thing after 'Modeline'). Then, in the Display subsection of your Screen section, list your custom mode on the Modes line (make it first, or only, because I think that's how XOrg chooses the default mode).

That should do it. Now XOrg will use that mode when it starts up always.
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? that checkbox out in plain site? lol.
that is probably my problem.

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: