k3b crashes mockingly (only for one user) [solved :oops:]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightfrost
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: k3b crashes mockingly (only for one user) [solved :oops:] Reply with quote

for some reason k3b started to crash today:

Code:
$ k3b
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
k3b: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name or about data passed to the constructor!
KCrash: Application 'k3b' crashing...
Qt: Locales not supported on X server

This happens when ever I choose e.g. burn iso-image in the menu. Pretty much any choice leads to a crash. There's no real error message either, which I find weird. Also, k3b works for other users.

Any ideas? I've been trying to remove the ~/-files of k3b, but I can't find them. :?

Edit:
The mockery continues... I logged out and in again and it worked. I still have no idea of what happened (and still wouldn't mind if anyone would enlighten me).
COMKEEN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
This happens when ever I choose e.g. burn iso-image in the menu.

Quote:
Also, k3b works for other users.

I had exactly the same problem. This was because I was logged in as two different users at the same time. Let's say, I was logged in as user1 and user2 and that I logged in as user1 before user2. The disc drives then got chowned to user1 and chmodded to read/write only to user1. Check this with

Code:

$ ls -lah /dev/hd{c,d}
brw-------    1 user1   cdrom     22,   0  1. Jun 09:39 /dev/hdc
brw-------    1 user1   cdrom     22,  64  1. Jun 09:39 /dev/hdd

That means that the devices are not accessible when you log in as user2 (you can prove that in the Preferences dialog of k3b: The Device section should be empty) and - I think so - that's the reason why k3b crashes.

To solve this problem, su to root and chown to the correct user. Well, this would mean that you can't access the device as user1 anymore. Better is to chmod the group bits like this:

Code:

$ cd /dev/
$ chmod 660 hdc
$ chmod 660 hdd
$ ls -lah hd{c,d}
brw-rw----    1 user1   cdrom     22,   0  1. Jun 09:39 /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 user1   cdrom     22,  64  1. Jun 09:39 /dev/hdd

Note that the devices still belong to user1, but since both user1 and user2 are in the cdrom group, they can access the disc drives (there should now be entries in the Device section of k3b's Preferences dialog for user2).

If you are not logged in as two users at the same time, but one after another, it's also worth a try to check the owner of the devices. In the past I recognized, that some devices keep the settings of the former user (or the very first user which logged in) and therefore you have to (re-)set them by hand.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: