View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
`VL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Fonts mess Reply with quote

Have Problems with all fonts in system...strange problems...i don`t understand why..

Here is description:

1. All was ok =)
2. Nvidia drivers produced error in getting edid from monitor, so xorg failed to load,saying hsync out of range
3. i found problem and forced NoDDC in xorg.conf, so x started again
4. my fonts are all messed:

a) Fonts in GTK applications became smaller (2 points)
b) Fonts in KDE apps also became smaller (2 points)

I have not changed anything in x config,in fonts folders or so..

So,i decided to open gnome contorl center and kde cc and increase font`s sizes for apps at 2 points.(ttf fonts in this apps)

Results: in KDE: apps now looks good(change is permanent)
GNOME: when i just clicked 'Fonts' icon, all fonts in gtk apps became normal (but only until reboot).

One more effect with Gnome CC: my xterm with bitmap font(courier) started , IGNORING .Xdefaults (with bgcolor of gtk theme) and ignoring command-line option '-fn courier...' .

What the hell? So, questions:

1) Why Gnome CC intersects with .Xdefaults and xterm ?? Why?
2) What COULD happen that all my fonts became 2 points smappler?
3) Why when i clicking fonts icon in Gnome CC, my fonts became bigger? I didn`t change size! I Just selected icon...

4) How to add fonts (ttf and others) to modern xorg? Copy files to appropriate dir, then: run mkfontdir? ttfmkdir? other? does anything else required? Also edit /etc/fonts/.... ?

please, feel free to call me stupid and idiot, but I DON`T UNDERSTAND!! =)
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 and 3, Im not sure about as I dont use gnome, but the other two I can answer:
Your font size can decrease or increase depending on what Xorg thinks your screen dpi is.
Seeing as you disabled edid from your monitor, this likely means that Xorg isnt getting the correct value for dpi now, and is setting it to something different.
There is a setting in the xorg.conf file that allows you to specify the dpi yourself, so I would find out what that is, and then set it to something usual like 96 or so.

As to adding new fonts:
If youre using the portage font packages, like corefonts, aquafont etc...
then they will be automatically installed to the correct dir, /usr/share/fonts.
However, you still need to tell Xorg, and optionally Fontconfig, about the new font locations.
The easiest way to do this is to use the X Font Server service, as it will automatically run mkfontdir etc.. for you.
You need to add the directories containing your new fonts to the "catelogue" section of the xfs config file, which (I think) is located in /etc/X11/xfs/config or similar.
Once youve done that, xfs will re-read the new directories when it restarts, and create the new font dir files.
To tell Fontconfig about the new fonts, you must edit the user config file in /etc/fonts. Again, I dont remember the name as Im on winXP at the moment :( .
An easier way to do this though, is to just re-emerge fontconfig, as it reads font dirs when its initially installed, and creates its config file with them in it.
Code:
emerge --oneshot fontconfig
should do this for you.
`VL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, you are right!

i manually set MonitorSize in xorg conf, and my fonts became beautifull, as they were =))

now about Gnome Control Center: it seems as it remembered dpi settings, and forced them to gtk apps. now when i run it in fonts section, all ok, i see no changes.

so i think this part is clear - i had same font problems before, even on other distributions and hardware - now i understand, that they were caused by wrong dpi settings.

But i`m still wonder, why after running GnomeCC my xterm starts with another color and font, not listed in my .Xdefaults ?!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: