View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkilgore@hotpop.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: cannot compile qt Reply with quote

This is on a dual athlon xp system with
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
and
USE="3dnow alsa avi berkdb cdr crypt cups dga directFB doc dvd
encode -esd evo fbcon gd gif gnome gphoto2 gtk2 gtkhtml
-i18n imlib innodb java jikes jpeg kde libwww -maildir mbox
mmx motif mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses -nls oggvorbis
opengl oss -pam pdflib perl plotutils png qt quicktime readline
ruby samba sdl slang slp socks5 spell ssl svga -tcpd tetex tiff
truetype X xft xml xml2 xmms xv zlib"

(but the CFLAGS does not seem to affect flags when compiling glibc,
and I have tried with and without optimizations and with and without
the debug flag wherever I can).

I have had this problem for a month or two now. uic seg faults every
time I try to compile qt:

cd designer && make -f Makefile
make[4]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer/designer'
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/plugins listboxeditor.ui -o listboxeditor.h
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/plugins editfunctions.ui -o editfunctions.h
make[4]: *** [listboxeditor.h] Segmentation fault
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: *** [editfunctions.h] Segmentation fault
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer/designer'
make[3]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer'
make[2]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools'
make[1]: *** [sub-tools] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0'
make: *** [init] Error 2

If I run uic in gdb, it seg faults in src/codecs/qtextcodec.cpp, in the
source for QTextCodec::codecForLocale(), at the line:

char *charset = nl_langinfo (CODESET);

If I put a printf statement right before it to print out CODESET:

printf("CODESET is %d\n", CODESET);

I get a segmentation fault in _IO_vfprintf in glibc 2.3.1 at a very
strange place. It seg faults while executing the line:

int save_errno = errno;

If I try to run mplayer right now, I get a segmentation fault in exactly
the same place in _IO_vfprintf in glibc 2.3.1.

PLEASE HELP, someone! I am really tired of having no qt or KDE,
and no mplayer is a huge problem.

My only guess here is that the stack is getting corrupted? Of course
glibc won't let me compile it without any optimization, so the line
reported as where the seg fault is actually happening might be
completely bogus (I think?). It's definitely a messy problem, and I
don't think I have the experience I'd need with any of gdb, glibc, or
var-arg stuff to figure this one out any time soon.
:cry:
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of GCC? Moving to DE.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, moderator, you've had three posts of the same msg, did that to me in another fourm - is there a prob with the S/W??

Anyway, the seg fault, mmmm Athlon eh? Not clocked is it? Memory not clocked as well/either is it?

There many,many problems associated with intensive tasks such as compilations, when using unstable HW - which is what you'll have if anything is clocked. I wont go into a ramble about why as you may not have anything clocked, but if you do, put it back to normal in BIOS and try again.

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't know exactly where the problem is. I am cleaning the extra messages.

dazzle68 wrote:
Say, moderator, you've had three posts of the same msg, did that to me in another fourm - is there a prob with the S/W??

Anyway, the seg fault, mmmm Athlon eh? Not clocked is it? Memory not clocked as well/either is it?

There many,many problems associated with intensive tasks such as compilations, when using unstable HW - which is what you'll have if anything is clocked. I wont go into a ramble about why as you may not have anything clocked, but if you do, put it back to normal in BIOS and try again.

rkilgore@hotpop.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:

No, not overclocked. In fact underclocked, because I did have stability problems running 3D games at the clock speed the cpus and memory are supposed to be able to do.

But I've compiled an entire operating system with -j3 more than once without any other segmentation faults during builds. Only when running uic and mplayer. That considered, does it still seem likely for this to be hardware-related to anyone?

As for the version of gcc:
Code:

rkilgore phoenix: gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2.1
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
rkilgore@hotpop.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:

Ok, I just ran memtest86 on my machine for a couple of hours (all test runs passed) and then slowed my clock speed even further and booted back into Gentoo. Same result. I really think this is a software issue. Could someone possibly send me a uic binary (from the qt package) so that I could try to run it on my machine? If it works, maybe I can fiddle with my USE options to get one that's the same and be done with this mess! In case you can't tell from my username, send to rkilgore@hotpop.com.

thanks
rkilgore@hotpop.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkilgore@hotpop.com wrote:
dazzle68 wrote:

No, not overclocked. In fact underclocked, because I did have stability problems running 3D games at the clock speed the cpus and memory are supposed to be able to do.

But I've compiled an entire operating system with -j3 more than once without any other segmentation faults during builds. Only when running uic and mplayer. That considered, does it still seem likely for this to be hardware-related to anyone?

I got extremely lucky to notice by chance that uic runs fine from the console, and then was able to discover that setting the environment variable __GL_SINGLE_THREADED (for the nvidia driver) seems to cause the segmentation faults somehow. Hopefully I don't need this variable set anymore.
bulletsweetp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Very same problem on PPC Reply with quote

I have the EXACT same problem. I'm on a rev1 TiBook, ppc 7400, ATI Rage 128, no env variables affect the segfault like in above post.

I've been looking all over and I can find very few references to this problem (3 exactly), but no apparent solution, and yet it seems to be quite old... The first ref is from year 2000.

WTF? I've been into the build dir, played around with all the flags, nothing seems to keep uic from segfaulting, even segfaults when I just call it on its own, no args.

*** I EVEN copied the version from the livecd into the qt/bin dir, but of course it's a different version and wants dynamic libs to be already installed, sigh.

This has got to have been seen elsewhere, once again wtf, this has held me up from installing for THREE DAYS!

Grrr. Thanks for any help on this.
drewbono
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: more trouble Reply with quote

I'm installing 1.4_rc6 and rc8 on my iBook 500 Mghz, but keep coming up with the same error when I do an emerge qt. Everything else seems to be working ok--I noticed the error when tried to emerge kde, then emerge xfree also failed. I formatted the drive and tried it again using the stage 3 version of rc8 with the same error. What gives? I've tried different USE settings with no success. Here's the error:

mv -f libqui.so.1.0.0 libqui.so libqui.so.1 libqui.so.1.0 ../../../lib/
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer/uilib'
cd designer && make -f Makefile
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer/designer'
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/plugins listboxeditor.ui -o listboxeditor.h
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/plugins editfunctions.ui -o editfunctions.h
make[3]: *** [listboxeditor.h] Segmentation fault
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: *** [editfunctions.h] Segmentation fault
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer/designer'
make[2]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools/designer'
make[1]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r3/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/tools'
make: *** [sub-tools] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.1.0-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 114, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

My USE flags are USE="acpi mysql rage128 samba spell usb wmf -gnome -gtk -mozilla -python".

My CFLAGS are the default: CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=750", but I've also tried it with the -02 flag set instead, as well as with the rc6 default flags for generic PPC. I can't figure this one out. Is anyone else having trouble?
spitzwegerich
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have exactly the same problem. emerge qt crashes with the same error message
hardware: ibook 800 mhz

settings:
Code:
USE="aalib alsa apm doc emacs encode gd gif gnome gphoto2 gpm gtk imap imlib jack java jpeg kde lcms mcal motif mozilla mpeg mule ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pdflib perl plotutils png python qt quicktime readline samba slang spell tetex tiff truetype usb wmf X xmms xv zlib ppc -ssl"

CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -mcpu=750 -fsigned-char"

it is very very annoying. i dont know what to do. if anyone knows a solution / workaround please post.

~michael
spitzwegerich
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a bug report on this topic. so maybe it isn't possible to compile qt-3.1.0-r3 on ppc machines.

compiling the masked as unstable qt-3.1.2 worked. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: