Grub issue with controller card.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Grub issue with controller card. Reply with quote

I recently put in a new CMD 648 controller card (very well supported in linux) and plugged just one hard drive to it with a win2k install on it. On the motherboards IDE channels I have primary channel with two drives (both used by gentoo), secondary channel has a dvd rom/cdrw and a cdrom. From my understanding grub only takes in account hard disks and overlooks optical drives. Here is my grub.conf
Quote:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Kernel-2.4.19-gentoo-r10
root(hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda2

title=Backup bzImage
root(hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage.old root=/dev/hda2

title=Windows 2000
root(hd2,0)
chainloader +1

I tried a few variations, such as
Quote:

title=Windows 2000
rootnoverify(hd2,0)
chainloader +1

but that didnt' work. I tried putting a space between rootnoverify and (hd2,0) but that was no good either. /dev/hde (win2k drive) has the following partition scheme:
Quote:
Disk /dev/hde: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hde1 * 1 1305 10482381 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hde2 1306 4864 28587667+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hde5 1306 4864 28587636 7 HPFS/NTFS

Can someone tell me what am i doing wrong? By the way I get the error saying chainloader +1 is not valid, or if I am using rootnoverify, it just hangs.
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried going to to grub command line and tabbing to see which partitions that grub recognizes? I don't know that that will solve your problem, but it should let you "see" what grub is seeing too...
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i went into the command line mode and did not see any options to see what partitions it recognizes. Can you be more clear and precise please?
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the grub command prompt, if you type in help you will get a full list of commands. You can then type something like >root (hd and then hit the tab key - it will give you the available drives. Choose one, put in a comma and then hit tab again and it will show you a list of the partitions.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes! beautiful bash completion. Ok I did as you told me and I do have my partitions right...it is indeed hd2,0 !! Except instead of root(hd2,0) it wanted root (hd2,0) (notice the space). So I went ahead and made that change to my grub.conf. Then rebooted and tried to boot win2k and got the following error:

Quote:

Filesystem type unknown,
partition type 0x7

Its a NTFS partition, ...is that a problem? More over the chainloader line is in the grub.conf...so shouldn't it just hand over controll to win2k boot manager?
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what I can do to fix my problem. I am not sure if I need to takeover the MBR on the harddrive win2k is on...I think I already tried to do this by doing setup (hd2,0) because when I put win2k drive on primary channel as the master it does not boot and gives me some grub error.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinking that maybe I screwed up the win2k drive I decided to give it a reinstall. After reinstalling I tried again but with no luck. I don't know what else do I need to do to tell grub to boot that drive. This is what I have for win2k in grub.conf

Code:
title=Windows 2000
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Problem Fixed Reply with quote

YES! I finally managed to fix the problem...but not without some compromises that Im not sure were needed. To be sure that it was not an issue with the controller card, I took it out of the picture. I plugged in my win2k drive as a Primary Slave on the mobo IDE controller (The one that was plugged in there was merely a 8 gig drive with my MP3s). Then I emerged grubconfig tool. This tool reminds me very much of the slackware lilo tool. Anyways this tool didnt' work very well because it created a very strange config file. I just read through it carefully and modified it according to my needs and next thing I know I had the puppy working. Here is my grub config.

Code:

# Start GRUB global section
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Gentoo Linux (on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage.old vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# OTHER bootable partition config begins
  title Windows 2000 (on /dev/hdb1)
  map (hd0) (hd1)
  map (hd1) (hd0)
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

I think the magic was all in the map options. I don't know why grubconfig didn't work well for me, but I highly recommend using it and carefuly looking through the grub.conf it generates. I am not sure if this all will still work once I plugin my controller card...frankly I dont care. The controller cards can hold the mp3 drive and other stuff. If anyone has similar grub issues...id be happy to help.
foxcub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did it work once you plugged in the controller card? I have a similar issue. I plugged in a harddrive as a primary drive (/dev/hda), and installed Windows 2000 Pro on it, then I switched it to the onboard ATA-100 controller (so in Linux the drive became /dev/hde). Plugged in another drive (with grub on it) as the primary drive. Grub sees the second drive (the one with Windows) as hd1. I've tried a bunch of different configuration options (including this map stuff), and it works at first, the Windows 2000 "splash screen" (the graphical one with the running line) comes up, but then in a few seconds it crashes talking about INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (or something like that). I have a suspicion of why that might happen, but that really is just a guess, and to be honest I have no idea what I'm talking about: I'm getting an impression (from the stuff I read online), that grub's map reverses the harddrives by playing with the BIOS interrupts; if this is the case, then it's possible that as Windows is trying to start, it detects the ATA-100 controller, tries to load some sort of a driver for it, and tries to access it through it, at which point, of course, there is an immediate discrepancy between which device is which, and it bails out.

If anyone has any ideas suggestions, etc as to how I can deal with this problem/fix it, and whether my above guesses can even relate to truth, please, let me know.

Thanks.
foxcub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore my previous comment. I simply forgot to install the driver for the ATA-100 controller - so everything was actually opposite to what I thought it was. My bad, and sorry for polluting forums.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: