Wine/winex performance thread.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Wine/winex performance thread. Reply with quote

I've recently set up my gentoo box to run CS/Warcraft3 so that it's no longer necessary to boot into windows. I have wine, winex, and winex-cvs all running warcraft 3, but it seems that the best performance comes from regular wine in opengl mode. I also noticed that bad performance can be fixed on some machines if you nice the process.

However, the performance is still much lower than windows--i'm running a 2.6ghz system with a ti4200 and sometimes during big battles i notice that the framerate is probably ~25 or so when i scroll. The performance is quite a bit better in windows. Post any tips you know of to increase wine performance.

A quick sidenote: i'm running a GF4 and I get bizzare corruption, but it only happens in WC3, almost exclusively in the menus, and it's very rare (although it requires a reboot). It happens in both nix and windows, some drivers seem to be more resistant than others, and it doesn't matter whether or not i'm overclocking. Additionally, setting the agp transfer rate to specific values doesn't seem to help nor does overvoltaging the AGP slot. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Mallow005
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same glitch. Does the screen freeze and a bunch of different colored rectangles cover the screen while the sound still goes or starts repeating? Started happening either after I changed my motherboard or to my GF4, some odd things is that it used to happen all the time in Mafia, I thought it was bad RAM. I started switching sticks. I found that with one stick it was fine. But then after a couple weeks it started happening again! And then I put both sticks back in, and it was fine. It only happens sometimes and seems random.
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wine/winex performance thread. Reply with quote

LJ wrote:

However, the performance is still much lower than windows--i'm running a 2.6ghz system with a ti4200 and sometimes during big battles i notice that the framerate is probably ~25 or so when i scroll. The performance is quite a bit better in windows. Post any tips you know of to increase wine performance.

performance will always be lower than in windows with wine. because it is emulator. in rare cases some people could get counter-strike run faster in linux but i think they have misconfigured their windows cs.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I get the same glitch. Does the screen freeze and a bunch of different colored rectangles cover the screen while the sound still goes or starts repeating? Started happening either after I changed my motherboard or to my GF4, some odd things is that it used to happen all the time in Mafia, I thought it was bad RAM. I started switching sticks. I found that with one stick it was fine. But then after a couple weeks it started happening again! And then I put both sticks back in, and it was fine. It only happens sometimes and seems random.

Yes, I think it's a chipset issue, actually, although I assumed different drivers would make a difference. You're running an intel i845 board i assume?
Quote:

performance will always be lower than in windows with wine. because it is emulator.

Wine Is Not an Emulator and therefore does not incur the performance overhead an emulator would.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is emulating the hardware layer... Since when should a normal user have direct access to the refresh buffer or video card?
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wine/winex performance thread. Reply with quote

Quote:
performance will always be lower than in windows with wine. because it is emulator. in rare cases some people could get counter-strike run faster in linux but i think they have misconfigured their windows cs.

hehe WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator :)
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wine/winex performance thread. Reply with quote

Uranus wrote:

hehe WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator :)

still it translated windows program calls to way that linux can understand them and that process takes processing power.
yoplait
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hehe WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator

WINE is 2 things...

an emulator windows/linux,xfree (WINdows Emulator)

and a library in order to compile windows programs under linux (Wine Is Not an Emulator)

please document yourself before posting errors...
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoplait wrote:

jeeeezzzz what's with the attitude? re-read my post! did I acuse you of anything? did I correct you? I simply made a small (supposed to be entertaining) remark about wine
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked neither wine or winex used CLFAGS and winex even compiles with debugging turned on. So I compiled winex with something like "-O2 -march=i686 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer" and it was significantly faster.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last time I checked neither wine or winex used CLFAGS and winex even compiles with debugging turned on. So I compiled winex with something like "-O2 -march=i686 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer" and it was significantly faster.

can you get the source from the transmeta full release or does it only come precompiled?
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoplait wrote:
Quote:

WINE is 2 things...

and a library in order to compile windows programs under linux (Wine Is Not an Emulator)

WINE does not stand for "Windows Emulator" it really is a recursive acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"
Straight from the Wine FAQ (http://www.winehq.org/docs/wine-faq/t1.shtml#WHAT-IS-WINE-AND-WHAT-IS-IT-SUPPOSED-TO):
"2.2. Is Wine an emulator?

Fortunately, no. Wine provides low-level binary compatibility, but currently only for OSes running on Intel-compatible chips."

but more importantly, the performance of games running under WineX should be comparable to games running natively under Windows. The Pre-empt kernel patch has been known to cause problems with Wine, but other than that I don't know what to recommend for speeding things up. WineX still seems to be a hit or miss thing.

As for LJ's question, currently Transgaming only offer binary versions of WineX, but a CVS version is planned so that users may build most of WineX from CVS but still utilize copy protection and other non-free code which would still be in precompiled binary form.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sgaming only offer binary versions of WineX, but a CVS version is planned so that users may build most of WineX from CVS but still utilize copy protection and other non-free code which would still be in precompiled binary form.

That would make me happy. That and figuring out this i845/geforce4 compatability problem.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoplait wrote:
Quote:

WINE is 2 things...

Jeez buddy, first post and your already making friends :P

Wine Is NOT an Emulator. It is a compatablity layer. Think of it like a bedsheet that sits over linux, and the top side looks like windows.

Windows programs talk to the sheet, which looks as much like windows as possible, and the sheet makes those windows program calls into linux calls so linux programs can be run.

There is even a set of libraries that can be used to port windows source code into linux, and vice versa.

It's still not very much like an emulator...

Last edited by puddpunk on Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
can you get the source from the transmeta full release or does it only come precompiled?

Winex is available by CVS, instructions are listed here:
http://www.transgaming.com/sources.php
There are a few things missing, "copy protection related code" as they say on the webpage. The full version with all this included is only available as a binary, I've always used the cvs version without any problems though.

There's also a winex-cvs that's masked, I suppose you could do a -f to just fetch it and then compile it manually but I'd just use cvs.
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you'd like to use winex by cvs, it might be worth noting that the winex source tree is cvs tagged quite heavily, meaning you can pull different versions by using their tags if you dont want to just grab the whole development tree.

a useful tag is probably winex-2-2-1, to get the cvs source for the latest official winex release.

have a nice day.
mike.
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it might be of assistance to me in my AGP problem (which I am sure no one has heard of, but the thread is called "Quick AGP Question"). LJ and Mallow005, the problem that you were having is identical to what happens whenever I turn on AGP. Since AGP has to be off, I only get 2700fps in glxgears. Did you ever resolve the problem? Please say yes, I need to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.
mfinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use winex-cvs (portage) with the latest NVidia kernel/GLX (1.0-4191, not portage version) to run EverQuest and get the same (if not better) performance out of it. If it is slower at all, I can't notice it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: