emerge depclean - system crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j0seph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: emerge depclean - system crash Reply with quote

Greetings!
I've got a quite serious problem with my system. I did 'emerge depclean' after updating system. It's removed 'acl'. Now I'm able emerge anything, not even to reemerge the 'acl' package with -e parameter. The output is something with dependencies to libacl.so.1. Could someone help me with this?
I have another gentoo machine. So I have an idea to copy the package just over to the another one. But I'm not sure if it will work.
Any suggestion is welcomed

Thanks.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea, a couple of days ago a guy was having problems with a b0rked gcc installation, and a developer suggested building the packages on his other box. I guess the only problem with that would be if the boxes have dissimilar processors (like your building packages on a 686 for a 386). Anyway, the guy managed to fix his system, his to boxes were both G3's, so there was no mismatch problem. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you too. Here is a link to the post.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1976837#1976837

I to have had a lot of problems with emerge --depclean, somehow it overwrote my /etc/passwd file once. I ended up having to rebuild the sytem. I guess when it says to check the packages to be unmerged for sanity, it really means it. I guess just run emerge --pretend --depclean next time to check before running the real thing.
j0seph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how lucky I am! It really worked. I just copied over the binaries and libraries using livecd. Then I chroot-ed and re-emerged those packages over and now everything works. I thought that it was not going to be compatibile as I used files from my i586 comp to i686 comp. There probably isn't much diffence.
From this time on, I'm going to use --pretend switch first at each emerge! Thanks for your effort, Sith_Happens.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. You shouldn't have compatibility issues if you compile binaries on a 586 for a 686, only if you do it the other way around. Glad that your system works again and best of luck. :D
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=139908
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: