Do you need /boot partition mounted?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Do you need /boot partition mounted? Reply with quote

I have been running Gentoo for quite a while now, and it used to suggest in the Handbook to not have boot auto mounted (noauto in fstab), and that is what I do.

My systems run, so it must be ok, but when I mentioned in a forum on arstechnica.com here someone suggested that linux wouldn't run correctly without a /boot, and specificly mentioned that System.map needs to be available to the logger, and it should be in boot. So, I thought I would pose to Gentoo folks about what this may be about.

veggie2u
AllTom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally do not run my computers with boot mounted, although I haven't used Gentoo in a while. When I did use Gentoo full-time, I only ever mounted /boot when installing a new kernel. (Note most kernel installation instructions tell you to "mount /boot; cp kernel /boot/; umount /boot".)
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /boot partition is accessed during the boot-up process. But after that, it isn't needed anymore. Save for putting new kernel onto it or configuring GRUB.
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Maybe this should then be called, what is the System.map file used for?
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what System.map is for. I don't bother copying it to /boot anymore and everything still seems to work fine.
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found something here.
Quote:
To help us understand cryptic oops output, Linux uses a daemon called klogd, the kernel logging daemon. klogd intercepts kernel oopses and logs them with syslogd, changing some of the useless information like c010b860 with information that humans can use. In other words, klogd is a kernel message logger which can perform name-address resolution. Once klogd tranforms the kernel message, it uses whatever logger is in place to log system wide messages, usually syslogd.

To perform name-address resolution, klogd uses System.map. Now you know what an oops has to do with System.map.

This appears to be the most important use for it. It is also mentioned that if it isn't in the /boot mount point, it will look in /usr/src/linux and use the System.map file there. If you only use one kernel, then you will be fine with it there.

Anyway, if you are not interrested in kernel 'oops' messages being readable or not, it appears to make little difference.
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, almost every gentoo user will have a System.map available at /usr/src/linux as we all compile our own kernels.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally leave /boot unmounted, unless I need to change something in it. Leaving it mounted really won't cause any problems, but I think most people leave it unmounted for system imntegrety reasons (ie. no files can get screwed up in /boot if it's unmounted).
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my /boot remained unmounted until i installed hal and his buddies, which seem to think it should be mounted. i don't notice a difference either way, except a reduction in mysterious-kernel-disappearance syndrome.
Mayhem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used gentoo on ppc for a while. It said in the docs that you shouldn't use a seperate /boot partition on that arch. Anyone know why?
I only have x86 hardware atm so it's just curiosity.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem wrote:
I've used gentoo on ppc for a while. It said in the docs that you shouldn't use a seperate /boot partition on that arch. Anyone know why?
I only have x86 hardware atm so it's just curiosity.

I think in the case of PPC you can't use grub or lilo (correct me if I'm wrong). So I guess whatever bootloader you do use may not be able to handle a seperate boot partition. This is only a guess though.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you copy over your System.map, there still is a System.map available in /usr/src/linux.

There is no absolute truth to the advantage/disadvantage of having /boot mounted or not. Some say it's more secure (less chance on screwing your kernels), others say that screwing your / will make your system as unbootable as screwing with the kernel.

In my opinion, everything that isn't needed during regular system operation shouldn't be available. Mine is unmounted and, next to the kernel, also contains the configuration file (backup), partition table backup and some other small thingies that I rather have available on /boot (although they're also on a separate machine and backed up).

Others like to keep /boot mounted so they can immediately edit their bootconfig or put up a new kernel. It's all up to you to decide. The handbook doesn't recommend placing noauto, it states that some people like to have it not mounted automatically and informs you how to do the same.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: