Uh oh...error loading os, forced LBA returns disk read error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccerballtux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Uh oh...error loading os, forced LBA returns disk read error Reply with quote

Oh dear...I was in the process of installing Gentoo, then realized after doing hdparm that my 60 gig wd HDD is about 15MB/s faster at some sort of reading (the second output of hdparm -tT), and that I would want to put my root filesystems on that drive and use my other 160GB wd hdd as my storage for xp and /home.

My current xp installation is on my 160gb hdd, but that did seem slower (must be cause its a "special edition"), so I started the xp install, copying all files to the hdd, and then when it rebooted, I got "Error Loading Operating System." While searching for help, I read in another forum that this one guy's hdd was being detected as CHD and he was getting this error, and all he had to do was force LBA mode on it. I did that (under my bios...wasn't exactly forcing just changing from CHD to LBA) but now whenever I try to boot from it, I get "disk read error. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot." What should I do?

A few notes. This used to be my main hdd. I had XP on it as well as Mandrake 10.0 with the Mandrake boot thingy. When I put in and installed windows on my new 160g hard drive, I deleted the C directory and all the other files (including the system files since I've got those viewable in Explorer) and just kept that hdd as a backup for the cases where I want to reinstall, such as now.

Since this is the faster drive, I really want to put my Windows and Gentoo roots on this so that bootup will be faster....but I don't have any idea how to fix it.

Oh and one last thing....when installing, the gentoo x86 handbook said that hdparm -d 1 -A 1 -m 16 -u 1 -a 64 /dev/hda was a safe performance enhancer. I did that to both my /dev/hda as well as /dev/hdb (and accidentally /dev/hda1 too I think). Could this have screwed it up?

Anyone know what to do and feels kind enough to share? Thanks in advance.
soccerballtux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump....help......
soccerballtux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I managed to get windows xp up and running on it...I don't know what it was. I had tried copying the files over again, all to no avail. I then booted into my other xp installation, did a format of the drive I was having the problems in, and then tried installing xp again, and it worked. Go figure. So just keep trying I guess for any other people who have this problem.....computers are weird.....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: