Reinstall issue kinda...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiltedpoet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reinstall issue kinda... Reply with quote

Ok, I'm about to switch out my ageing pentium4 system for a new modo, memory, cpu etc. I'm thinking about going to an AMD 64 system. My hd's, vid, nic, etc. are going to remain the same. I wanted to know is there some way I can boot up with the live cd, chroot over then "regenerate" my exsiting install with out having to start over from scratch. I'm not sure what else would need to be done. I'm pretty sure somthing needs done with the make.conf but I don't know the settings and is there some kind of regen command? I remeber reading about somthing like that in the gentoolkit or somthing like that. Or would it just be easier to just install a fresh copy? I'm not afraid of a little work, in fact I welcome the chalenge.

-Hugh
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to build a 64 bit system to replace a 32bit, I would recommend just reinstalling. Technically it is not required, but the experience will just be easier in my opinion.

Short of that, you can recompile your entire system by simply changing CFLAGS etc to suit from make.conf and then doing an "emerge -e world". This will build every package you have installed.

If you decide to buld a new install, don't forget to back up your existing system completely, so you can go back and grab xorf.conf, your samba config file, and the million other little config settings you forget if you just dump the old system.

-Twist
kiltedpoet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Thanks. I imagen it would be the same if I did a Athlon XP too? Or will the i686 CFLAGS still work fine for that. I know that It's set for P4 right now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: