View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpenguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Major X error, machine crash [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Newly built 2004.3 install with 2.6.10-gentoo-r5, Xorg-6.8.0-r3, nvidie-kernel 1.0.6229-r1.

After much fun and excitement bootstrapping and compiling my system, and a little trouble getting X merged (the 'libtool' error), I finally had x configured, ready for it's innaugural launch on my desktop.

Fire it up once, it comes back with the 'no valid screens found' error. I say to myself: 'Self, this might well be an issue with that nvidia driver...I'll set it to use the open-source nv driver, and then it'll work like a charm.

Incredibly pleased that I was such a great troubleshooter, I made the necessary change and once again prepared for the excitment and wonder of a working window manager.

This time, I was rudely greeted with a flicker, a black screen, and a hard-locked system. No switching to different tty terms, no 'Ctrl-C' to kill the process, not even the ever-popular three finger salute. Pushing the power button didn't seem to work either, but my mighty intellect deduced that a quick press of the reset button might just set things in motion again, so I pressed it, and it worked.

So now, I'm back to the starting point...an installed, but not very functional X environment.

Any help/thoughts/ideas that would contribute to remedying this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by djpenguin on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
djpenguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who cares, I tried multiple iterations of slightly older versions of Xorg and nvidia-kernel, and finally came to the conclusion that udev was the culprit.

Unmerged it, set devfsd to mount at boot, and voila, it works like magic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: