View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Gnome Start Menu Reply with quote

I'm totally new to GNOME and was wondering if there was a menu editor. I see I can add and remove individual "launchers" to the start menu but how do I add, edit or remove a "folder" in the start menu? For example when I click the start menu I get a list of options like "Games" and "System Tools" which each contain a list of apps or "launchers". How do I, for example, remove the "Games" folder? TIA.

Last edited by papal_authority on Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
frankjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the file browser, type application:/// in the Location entry. In spatial, use Control-L to open up the Location dialog box. Or you can access it by going to "Start Here" on the desktop and going to "Applications." You can then edit your menus there.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks frankjr. It didn't work at first but with your info and a quick Google I discovered applications:/// (i.e. plural) was the key.
d_m
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at this--had never done it before but was also interested. After poking around in the Configuration Editor for awhile I lost patience, and figured the information had to be in a dotfile somewhere, or a subdirectory thereof.

I ran the following command to try to find likely candidates, and waited:

Code:
grep -rl Games ~ 2>/dev/null

Still running... will continue post when it finishes.

Doesn't look good--I get no results. Not sure where this is stored, but I worry that it is some sort of hardcoded default that can be added to but not overridden. I"m going to explore the gnome site and do some more searching. Maybe creating a new entry and then removing it will shed some light on the issue.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking for? I've created a program to create and generate menus and know gnome better than any documentation I've found. If you are interested in my program see my sig.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_m wrote:
I took a look at this--had never done it before but was also interested. After poking around in the Configuration Editor for awhile I lost patience, and figured the information had to be in a dotfile somewhere, or a subdirectory thereof.

I have have to SIGHUP the panel to get it re-read my edits. It's a real PITA. I had the same thought as you, let's hack the files manually. I tracked down some of the desktop entries to /usr/share/applications/. I can't figure out how GNOME decides what goes in which folder though :?
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is based off of two files (I may be confused with KDE). Anyhow look in /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders Specifically, applications-all-users.vfolder-info. And also in ~/..gnome2/vfolders which tak e alook at applications.vfolder-info. Basically gnome uses the Categories definitions in the .desktop file to generate the menu. I personally dislike .desktop files. Gnome and KDE misuse them. The best use is in Xfce4. Their menu system is pure genious.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with files scattered everywhere? Brutal. There should just be a single menu file in the user's .gnome folder IMHO. Maybe I'll give that denu thing a try...
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: