View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noanthems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: true transparency, fluxbox, xorg? Reply with quote

is there a way to get true transparency (i'm running fluxbox over xorg, if that matters), such that my eterms (for example) reveal the windows behind them, and not just the background?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, fluxbox uses the render extension to give the effect of "psuedo transparency" (which is probably what you have now). I personally haven't heard of any composite extension functionality in fluxbox, which would be required to get the effects that you want. I however would love to hear otherwise, because I'm having problems with XFCE's built in compositor, which does exactly what your asking, but doesn't work with the new ATI drivers, at least for me (a link to my post):

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1994197#1994197

I started using fluxbox again with psuedo transparency, and I would love to get true transparency going. Also, if any fluxbox gurus look at this forum, I've got another problem in fluxbox I'd appreciate you taking a look at.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2001361#2001361
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is no fluxbox specific composite manger, but you can always emerge good ol' xcompmgr and set it up by hand.
noanthems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool,

i got it to work with xcompmgr. my only complaint now is that it turns the entire window transparent - including the titlebar and boarder. with pseudo-transparency, only the shell part of my eterms were pseudo-transparent. but, oh well...

what i'd like to do now is bind a key in such a way that a program turns the window my mouse is currently over transparent for as long as i hold that key. is there any way to do that?

i was looking at the source code of transset and was thinking that by changing Select_Window(dpy) in these lines:

/* grab mouse and return window that is next clicked */
target_win = Select_Window(dpy);

to a function that returns the id of the window that the mouse is currently over, it could be done... But i'm having a hard time finding out what the name of that function is (or, i suppose it might just not exist... =\ )...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: