View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: redefined variables in xorg host.def Reply with quote

In building the latest xorg 6.8.0-r4 I notice all these messages in the output:

Code:
config/cf/host.def:144: warning: "HasMMXSupport" redefined
config/cf/host.def:136: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
config/cf/host.def:145: warning: "MesaUseMMX" redefined
config/cf/host.def:137: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
config/cf/host.def:146: warning: "Has3DNowSupport" redefined
config/cf/host.def:138: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
config/cf/host.def:147: warning: "MesaUse3DNow" redefined
config/cf/host.def:139: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

And, in fact, host.def does contain a lot of contradictory lines:
Code:
/* binutils-2.9 */                                                                   
#define LinuxBinUtilsMajorVersion 29                                                 
#define HasMMXSupport YES                                                             
#define MesaUseMMX YES                                                               
#define Has3DNowSupport YES                                                           
#define MesaUse3DNow YES                                                             
#define HasKatmaiSupport NO                                                           
#define MesaUseKatmai NO                                                             
#define HasSSESupport NO                                                             
#define MesaUseSSE NO                                                                 
#define HasMMXSupport NO                                                             
#define MesaUseMMX NO                                                                 
#define Has3DNowSupport NO                                                           
#define MesaUse3DNow NO
#define HasKatmaiSupport NO                                                           
#define MesaUseKatmai NO                                                             
#define HasSSESupport NO
#define MesaUseSSE NO                 

The questions that naturally come to mind are:
1) Why are these variables being redefined? Does it have something to do with binutils?
2) Is it going to have a bad effect on X or X's performance?
3) Should I worry about this at all? Should I file a bug report?

TIA.
xandris
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this exact same problem. I had to remove the offending lines (and another on in ...linux.def, was it?) in order to finish the ebuild. I don't know what happened, but what USE flags are you using for xorg and gcc? Anything hardened? Which profile are you using? Maybe there's a connection.
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did: I commented out the contradictory lines and then built it with no problems. I'm sure I'm not using any weird USE flags or special hardening or anything like that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: