SCSI device /dev/sda missing [Resolved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwillmert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: SCSI device /dev/sda missing [Resolved] Reply with quote

I am attempting to install gentoo on a simple server box with a couple SCSI hard drives in it. They might be in a RAID configuration, but I don't know for sure--I didn't put the box together. I have set up gentoo on several other machines previously, but this is my first time using SCSI drives with any system.

I was trying to load up the 2004.3 minimum live CD, but discovered on the forums here that it contains a bad SCSI driver which causes it to hang on detection. So I downloaded the experimental 2005 release and the live CD boots fine with "doscsi", however, /dev/sda does not show up. I don't know much about how linux sets up devices, but this information from dmesg looks important :wink:

Quote:
Kernel command line: initrd=gentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc acpi=ht looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs udev nodevfs cdroot vga=791 dokeymap splash=silent,theme:livecd-2004.3 BOOT_IMAGE=gentoo doscsi
scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
(scsi0:A:0): 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 1
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)

Can anyone offer insight on what to try next? I appreciate the help!

Last edited by kwillmert on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It finds the adaptor and driver and finds a SCSI cd-rom (the one you're booting with).

Either you'll need to modprobe the correct modules for the adapter where the SCSI disks are attached to, or the disks aren't attached correctly (no termination or whatever).
kwillmert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm told this exact system previously housed a redhat system that was just wiped--no hardware changes, so I would have to say it's hooked up properly. In another thread I saw it suggested to check lspci. Here's the relevant info from that:
Quote:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (AGP disabled) (rev 03)
0000:00:04.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
0000:00:04.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
0000:00:04.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
0000:00:07.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152 (rev 02)
0000:00:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7880U (rev 01)
0000:01:03.0 Unknown mass storage controller: American Megatrends Inc. MegaRAID 428 Ultra RAID Controller (rev 03)

So apparently I do have RAID going on here. I have loaded all relevant modules I can find with modprobe for Adaptec SCSI and Mega RAID. What do I need to do after that though? Should the device just appear? Do I need to rescan the hardware with something to get a device? As I said, I'm not very familiar with this area of linux.
kwillmert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: [Resolved] Reply with quote

I resolved this issue myself. I tried these liveCD versions:
2005.1 experimental

The one that ended up working for me was 2004.1. I loaded it up using the boot options, 'gentoo doscsi doaic7xxx'. It then detected everything just fine and I was able to use fdisk to create the sda1..3 partitions.

The only problem I had with this was that this version failed to detect my network card after I issued those boot options. All I had to do to fix that was load the proper module for it (eepro100).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: