View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzaappp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: ECLIPSE for AMD64? Reply with quote

I finished installing an AMD64 and I'm very impressed with its performance under gentoo.

I encountered Eclipse about 6 months ago and have come to appreciate it. I was hoping to find a version of it for the amd64, but I'm not sure where to come by one. I did a search in forums and found a few listings of people not having a lot of success getting it installed. But it sounds like some of them have, too. My question: How do I get it installed in Gentoo? Is there a HOWTO? Naturally I'm looking for a 64-bit version, not 32-bit. And I only do C++ development, not java.

Many thanks!

-z
GJtje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the binary from their website, that works just fine. :o
emerging it failed on missing swt sources, but maybe that's fixed already. The 3.1M releases don't seem very stable though (like crashing when you scroll your mouse, or new projects windows opening blank) so if you need to get some work done better stick to 3.0. ;)
radagast
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using 3.0
all i remember about the installation is that i thought it was going to run into trouble, but i didn't.

hopeful, but not very helpful...
SudakaTux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: are you using java Reply with quote

radagast, how did yo get it to work, which java did you dounload?
kernel 2.6.12-r4
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: are you using java Reply with quote

SudakaTux wrote:
radagast, how did yo get it to work, which java did you dounload?

I am not radagast, obviously, but I have a 64bit Eclipse working on my machine.. three things to note:

1. You MUST use the 3.1 version in portage not the 3.1-r1.. there is a MAJOR bug for AMD64 in the r1 version.. watch for progress here:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100360

2. I got the 3.1 to compile with both the sun 1.5 and blackdown 1.4... but I am not sure about its dependancies.. all of those I compiled with blackdown.. so best stick with that.

3. Running Eclipse on AMD64 with ANY java will crash as soon as it tries to use the hotspot (I think it is called) .. you HAVE to start eclipse by using this:
Quote:
usr/lib64/eclipse-3.1/eclipse-gtk -vmargs -Xmx512M -Xint
Although the memory option is optional, I highly suggest giving eclipse that much.. this works and it stably runs.. but it is SLOW! disabling the hotspot makes all options seem to run real slow.. I have a 32bit version in a CHROOT and it zips along.. the 64bit version (at least for me) takes 100% cpu to do some stupid things, like filling out the commit log screen while committing to CVS.. YMMV

Hope my experiences help
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I also got some experiences with Eclipse on AMD64.
The suggested solution is a little bit nasty since the hotspot compiler is completely disabled by -Xint there...
There are two other approaches to "solve" the problem:
1) run eclipse 64 on ibm-java. This one uses a different compiler....
2) create a textfile in your eclipse directory called
Code:
.hotspot_compiler
with the following content:
Code:
exclude org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/parser/Scanner optimized CurrentTokenSource3
exclude org/eclipse/jdt/internal/core/util/CommentRecorderScanner recordComment

This excludes the only the offending parts from compiling while the rest works as normal.
With this file I got eclipse 99% stable, only rare crashes but restartable...

I hope this helps...

P.S. Btw the second solution was provided by a sun engineer on the eclipse forum
vyzivus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt, many thanks for your post! Until now, I was using eclipse with -Xint and it was a suffering. Now it works perfectly with E3.1 with Sun's jdk5.0
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using amd64, you gotta know your way around portage. Unmasking, portage overlays and all that. Eclipse is in portage right? If its not for amd64, just edit the ebuild to include that, digest it, then emerge it.
radagast
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've rebuilt my system since then, and that project hasn't resurfaced so i haven't tried eclipse again...

but my backup tells me that i was using
blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01
and eclipse 3.0 from their website not portage.

looks like a few people are well ahead of me.
SudakaTux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Still cant make it work Reply with quote

I still cant make it run ive now downloaded eclipse 3.2 from its web page and ia get the same error, i can see the splash screen but then i get an error
this is the content of the log file generated by eclipse, i have jsdk1.5 from sun microsystems wich is teh recomended by eclipse, any ideas, i am learning java in collage and i need this working, i am out of ideas thanks.

ava.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /opt/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/84/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3201.so: /opt/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/84/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3201.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
kernel 2.6.12-r4
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, and it might not fix it.. but I have SWT installed separatly, which dumps it in my /usr/lib (lib64) and that solves a LOT of these unsatisfied link errors.. it looks like your error is that it is not finding SWT itself.. but I am not so smart about these things. If you try (which it cannot hurt to at least try) make sure to env-update and source /etc/profile then try to run eclipse from the command line and see if you still get that error

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=swt
aamonten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problem to install eclipse 3.1.r1 on my notebook. I just used ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and using sun-jdk 1.5_04
SudakaTux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Eclipse on AMd64 Reply with quote

thank you a lot for your post, it helped me understand a bit more about portage, y succsesfully emerge your same eclipse version, however it didn't resolve the problem, i still get the same error. As a tempory solution i emerged netbean another java ide is not the one we use in class but its a java ide anyway.please let me know if you think of somthing in order to solve my problem thanks.
kernel 2.6.12-r4
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse on AMd64 Reply with quote

SudakaTux wrote:
please let me know if you think of somthing in order to solve my problem thanks.

Bug 100360 has been fixed and the solution is now in portage.. so emerge sync and try it again. The version stayed the same (3.1-r1) even though they fixed the ebuild for AMD64. I also thought it might help to show you my settings so that you can compare your machine as this re-released ebuild built fine on my machine (AMD64 2800+ with 1GB of RAM)

Quote:
java-config -L
[sun-jdk-1.5.0.04] "Sun JDK 1.5.0.04" (/etc/env.d/java/20sun-jdk-1.5.0.04) *
[ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2] "IBM JDK 1.4.2" (/etc/env.d/java/20ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2)
[blackdown-jre-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JRE 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jre-1.4.2.02)
[blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02)

Quote:
emerge -av swt eclipse-sdk

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] dev-java/swt-3.1-r1 -accessibility -cairo +firefox +gnome +mozilla 0 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-util/eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1 +atk +firefox +gnome +jikes +mozilla -nodoc -nosrc 0 kB

Sidenote: In my opinion, don't skimp here.. make sure to use the full blown mozilla in this.. so make sure you have mozilla and firefox installed before attempting this. Others might differ on this opinion, but it works for me and I do not want to mess with what is not broken :P

Quote:
emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51.22-r2 (default-linux/amd64/2005.0, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r1, 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13
distcc 2.18.3 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.5, 2.4.1-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.5
sys-devel/binutils: 2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.18-r1
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=athlon64"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib64/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=athlon64"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig candy distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp:///ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/ http://ftp-mirror.internap.com/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/temp/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="amd64 X aac aalib adns alsa apache2 arts artswrappersuid atk avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts browserplugin bzip2 cdr crypt cups curl dvd dvdread eds encode esd ffmpeg firefox flac foomaticdb fortran gd gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml imagemagick imlib java jikes jpeg junit kde libwww lzw lzw-tiff mad maildir mbox mikmod mozcalendar mozilla mozsvg mp3 mpeg mysql mythtv nas ncurses nfsv4 nls nptl nvidia offensive ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png ppds python qt readline real ruby samba sasl sdl server slang speex spell ssl subtitles subversion svg tcltk tcpd theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb userlocales vorbis xine xinerama xml2 xmms xpm xprint xv xvid xvmc zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS

So.. to summarize. I am using Java 1.5.04 from sun. I emerge swt and eclipse-sdk with the above USE flags and I have semi-sane settings for emerge.

I hope this helps.. Don't give up, it should compile just fine on your computer :D
SudakaTux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: I think i know my problem now Reply with quote

ok man thanks a lot for your post, i think i know my problem, i installed java-1.5 from sun web page to, and added this :
#Java Path
JAVA_HOME=/usr/share/java/jdk1.5.0_04
export JAVA_HOME

PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
export PATH
to my /etc/profile did env-update && source /etc/profile however whe y do java-config -L y get this :

[ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2] "IBM JDK 1.4.2" (/etc/env.d/java/20ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2)
[blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02] "Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.02" (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02)

and suns java is not listed, (because i didnt emerge it right?) so i think i have to emerge sun-jdk-1.5.0.04 however y cant
emerge =sun-jdk-1.5.0.04
masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword

didnt no what to try so:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="package.mask, ~amd64" emerge =sun-jdk-1.5.0.04
- dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.04 (masked by: package.mask)

does this got anything to do with me getting this error?
by the way, ill post the same thing you did, maybe it gives you an idea of what might be the problem.

sofia bin # emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51.22-r2 (default-linux/amd64/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13
dev-lang/python: 2.3.5
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.11
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.5
sys-devel/binutils: 2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.18-r1
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -pipe -O2"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -pipe -O2"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.samerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="amd64 X alsa avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cdr crypt cups dvd eds encode esd fam foomaticdb fortran gif gpm gstreamer gtk2 imagemagick imlib ipv6 java jpeg junit kde lzw lzw-tiff mad mp3 mpeg ncurses nls opengl pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcltk tcpd tiff truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb userlocales xml2 xmms xpm xv zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Thanks a lot for your help Ill keep trying and ill let you know if i solved it
kernel 2.6.12-r4
SudakaTux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

i feel realy stupid wrighting this post, but i solved it, my (latest problem) was that it was taking some library .so from a previous eclipse installation, so y errased .eclipse from my home re runned eclipse and i got eclipse working. Thanks a lot guys, now i can enjoy eclipse :)
kernel 2.6.12-r4
omschaub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SudakaTux, I am really glad you got Eclipse working... but I suggest that you put a little effort into getting java and eclipse working through portage (emerge) so that you can have the update and dependency support that it offers. Let me walk you through getting sun java sdk on your machine.

First off, you will need two files on your machine: /etc/portage/package.keywords and /etc/portage/package.unmask

if they are not there, simply (as root) touch them
Quote:
mkdir /etc/portage
touch /etc/portage/package.keywords
touch /etc/portage/package.unmask

To the package.unmask file add this line:
Quote:
>=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.04

to the package.keywords file add this line:
Quote:
dev-java/sun-jdk

Then simply try to emerge it:
Quote:
emerge -av sun-jdk

Now.. sun has a 'funny' license and they like you to go to their site and click on the fact that you accept their license.. so let me say this: emerge will fail the first time! but read the error, it says that there is a fetch restriction and that you need to visit http://sun.blah.blah and download the file that it says. After downloading it, as root, move the file into /usr/portage/distfiles and then re-emerge it. Now it has the right file and everything has been unmasked and it should go fine. I do not know why this is still masked as so many AMD64 people have it working great on their machines. Hope this clears up how to unmask a file and emerge it.

If this works, you should proceed to do the following:
Quote:
java-config -S sun-jdk-1.5.0.04
env-update
source /etc/profile

This will keep you from having to use your JAVA_HOME= all the time as this sets the environment variables correctly.. so if you have any open shells you will need to execute: source /etc/profile in them before running any java commands.. then in any terminal verify that it is correct by:
Quote:
java -version
and see what version it tells you it is using

Then place this in your package.keyworks file
Quote:
dev-java/eclipse-sdk

and then emerge eclipse
Quote:
emerge -av eclipse-sdk

This will give you eclispe 3.1-r1 from portage

If you see a 'USE' flag that you need, for example 'mozilla' simply add that tag to your /etc/make.conf file under USE= or if you only want it to be used for that one emerge do this:
Quote:
USE=mozilla emerge -av eclipse-sdk

Enjoy! and try this out ... you will be using Gentoo to its fullest with these simple commands :P
Ibn al-Hazardous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt wrote:

Code:
.hotspot_compiler
Code:
exclude org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/parser/Scanner optimized CurrentTokenSource3

This excludes the only the offending parts from compiling while the rest works as normal.

Which eclipse directory do you mean? /usr/lib64/eclipse or /home/username/.eclipse ?

I tried the former, but to no avail - and then the latter, and it seems stabler for now.
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've done to get eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1 working is this:

# use blackdown-jdk to compile eclipse dependencies, some fail to compile with sun-jdk-1.5*
emerge dev-java/blackdown-jdk
emerge dev-util/eclipse-sdk
# use sun-jdk to run eclipse, the blackdown hotspot compiler segfaults a lot...
emerge dev-java/sun-jdk
java-config -S sun-jdk-1.5*

I haven't had any need for the hotspot fix posted above so far.
Ibn al-Hazardous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar wrote:
What I've done to get eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1 working is this:

# use blackdown-jdk to compile eclipse dependencies, some fail to compile with sun-jdk-1.5*
emerge dev-java/blackdown-jdk
emerge dev-util/eclipse-sdk
# use sun-jdk to run eclipse, the blackdown hotspot compiler segfaults a lot...
emerge dev-java/sun-jdk
java-config -S sun-jdk-1.5*

I haven't had any need for the hotspot fix posted above so far.

Heh, I had blackdown choke on eclipse too - so I emerged ibm and compiled with that. So far, it seems putting the file mentioned above in /home/user/.eclipse works pretty well. If it starts acting up again however, I'll take your advice and install sun-jdk.
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibn al-Hazardous wrote:
drizzt wrote:

Code:
.hotspot_compiler
Code:

Which eclipse directory do you mean? /usr/lib64/eclipse or /home/username/.eclipse ?

I tried the former, but to no avail - and then the latter, and it seems stabler for now.

Hmm, the file must be created where the eclipse binary is residing. As I have installed the version from eclipse-homepage directly, I have an eclipse directory in my home(with all eclipse-files) and in this directory I created the file.

Don`t know exactly which directory it would be in "portage"-version. Could anyone help out here, please ?
Ibn al-Hazardous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt wrote:

Hmm, the file must be created where the eclipse binary is residing. As I have installed the version from eclipse-homepage directly, I have an eclipse directory in my home(with all eclipse-files) and in this directory I created the file.

Don`t know exactly which directory it would be in "portage"-version. Could anyone help out here, please ?

Actually, it seems the /home/user/.eclipse directory works fine. Since I put the file there (2 weeks ago) - I've had no crash at all. :)
MegaVolt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still some Problems:

I setup sun-jdk-1.5.0.05 and its working (compiled some dependencies with it)
It doesnt work for dev-java/log4j-1.2.9 so i setup blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02
But blackdown also won't compile log4j
So i did try IBM-jdk. It's fetch restriced, so i got the file from the IBM Website (it's the correct file, i checked filenames and architecture twice), but emerge tells me: Filesize doesnt match
So i can't run IBM-jdk

How to compile eclipse dependencies?

partialsolved: unmerge everything that was compiled with 1.5, emerge again with 1.4, dependencies are all fine now, but not eclipse itself:

[exec] os.c:4863: warning: passing arg 1 of `gdk_x11_screen_get_window_ manager_name' makes pointer from integer without a cast
[echo] Assembling...
/usr/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk/eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1.ebuild: line 85: 1601 Killed ANT_OPTS="-Xmx1024M -XX:CompileThreshold=1500" ant - lib jdtcoresrc/ecj.jar -q -f build.xml -DinstallOs=linux -DinstallWs=gtk -Di nstallArch=${eclipsearch} -Dbootclasspath=${bootclasspath} -Dlibsconfig=true -DjavacTarget=1.4 -DjavacSource=1.4 -DjavacVerbose=false -DjavacFailOnError =true -DjavacDebugInfo=true -DbuildId="Gentoo Linux ${PF}"

!!! ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 119, Exitcode 137
!!! Failed to compile Eclipse
Ibn al-Hazardous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MegaVolt wrote:
I've still some Problems:
partialsolved: unmerge everything that was compiled with 1.5, emerge again with 1.4, dependencies are all fine now, but not eclipse itself:

[exec] os.c:4863: warning: passing arg 1 of `gdk_x11_screen_get_window_ manager_name' makes pointer from integer without a cast
[echo] Assembling...
/usr/portage/dev-util/eclipse-sdk/eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1.ebuild: line 85: 1601 Killed ANT_OPTS="-Xmx1024M -XX:CompileThreshold=1500" ant - lib jdtcoresrc/ecj.jar -q -f build.xml -DinstallOs=linux -DinstallWs=gtk -Di nstallArch=${eclipsearch} -Dbootclasspath=${bootclasspath} -Dlibsconfig=true -DjavacTarget=1.4 -DjavacSource=1.4 -DjavacVerbose=false -DjavacFailOnError =true -DjavacDebugInfo=true -DbuildId="Gentoo Linux ${PF}"

!!! ERROR: dev-util/eclipse-sdk-3.1-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 119, Exitcode 137
!!! Failed to compile Eclipse

That last thing is a warning, and I got tons of warnings when compiling eclipse. I don't know for certain what exitcode 137 means - but are you sure you have enough memory? I stumbled on that a lot (with 1 gb ram), so I essentially had to compile in textconsole with X killed - and it still took a couple of retries (does that mean that the compiler leaks?). Still, it finnished after some tries.

Also, do you have jikes (use flag) enabled? It's supposed to speed compilation.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Eclipse 3.2 M2 on my machine with my own ebuild ripped off from Gentoo's eclipse 3.1. It's very stable here, especially with Sun JDK 1.5.0_06 in my AMD64 machine. Not a single workaround at all. Here's the ebuild:

Code:
inherit eutils java-utils

MY_A="eclipse-sourceBuild-srcIncluded-3.2M2.zip"
DESCRIPTION="Eclipse Tools Platform"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.eclipse.org/"
SRC_URI="http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.2M2-200509231000/${MY_A}"
IUSE="gnome mozilla firefox jikes nosrc nodoc atk"
SLOT="3.2"
LICENSE="CPL-1.0"
KEYWORDS="x86 ~ppc amd64"

RDEPEND=">=virtual/jre-1.4.2
   >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.2.4
   mozilla? ( >=www-client/mozilla-1.7 )
   atk? ( >=dev-libs/atk-1.6 )
   firefox? ( >=www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2 )
   gnome? ( =gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2* =gnome-base/libgnomeui-2* )"

DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
   >=virtual/jdk-1.4.2
   jikes? ( >=dev-java/jikes-1.21 )
   >=dev-java/ant-1.6.2
   >=dev-java/ant-core-1.6.2-r4
   >=sys-apps/findutils-4.1.7
   app-arch/unzip
   app-arch/zip"

pkg_setup() {

einfo "Checking for sufficient physical RAM"
   check-ram
   check-cflags

java-utils_setup-vm

java-utils_ensure-vm-version-ge 1 4 2

# all other gentoo archs match in eclipse build system except amd64
   if [ ${ARCH} == 'amd64' ] ; then
      eclipsearch=x86_64
   else
      eclipsearch=${ARCH}
   fi

# all other gentoo archs match in sun jdk library patch except x86
   if [ ${ARCH} == 'x86' ] ; then
      jvmarch=i386
   else
      jvmarch=${ARCH}
   fi
}

src_unpack() {

mkdir ${S}
   cd ${S}
   unpack ${MY_A} || die "Could not unpack ${MY_A}"

epatch ${FILESDIR}/06-path-fixups.patch

einfo "Setting up virtual machine"
   java-utils_setup-vm

einfo "Cleaning out prebuilt code"
   clean-prebuilt-code

einfo "Patching makefiles"
   process-makefiles

patch_amd64_ibm_jvm
}

src_compile() {

# karltk: this should be handled by the java-pkg eclass in setup-vm
   addwrite "/proc/self/maps"
   addwrite "/proc/cpuinfo"
   addwrite "/dev/random"

# Figure out VM, set up ant classpath and native library paths
   setup-jvm-opts

${use_gtk} && use mozilla && setup-mozilla-opts

use jikes && bootstrap_ant_opts="-Dbuild.compiler=jikes"

einfo "Bootstrapping bootstrap ecj"
   ant ${bootstrap_ant_opts} -q -f jdtcoresrc/compilejdtcorewithjavac.xml || die "Failed to bootstrap ecj"

einfo "Bootstrapping ecj"
   ant -lib jdtcoresrc/ecj.jar -q -f jdtcoresrc/compilejdtcore.xml || die "Failed to bootstrap ecj"

einfo "Compiling Eclipse -- see ${S}/compilelog.txt for details"
   ANT_OPTS="-Xmx1024M -XX:CompileThreshold=1500" \
      ant -lib jdtcoresrc/ecj.jar -q -f build.xml \
      -DinstallOs=linux \
      -DinstallWs=gtk \
      -DinstallArch=${eclipsearch} \
      -Dbootclasspath=${bootclasspath} \
      -Dlibsconfig=true \
      -DjavacTarget=1.4 \
      -DjavacSource=1.4 \
      -DjavacVerbose=false \
      -DjavacFailOnError=true \
      -DjavacDebugInfo=true \
      -DbuildId="Gentoo Linux ${PF}" \
      || die "Failed to compile Eclipse"

cp launchertmp/eclipse eclipse-gtk || die "Cannot find eclipse binary"

einfo "Creating .desktop entry"
   create-desktop-entry
}

src_install() {

eclipse_dir="/usr/lib/eclipse-${SLOT}"

dodir /usr/lib

einfo "Installing features and plugins"

[ -f result/linux-gtk-${eclipsearch}-sdk.tar.gz ] || die "tar.gz bundle was not built properly!"
   tar zxf result/linux-gtk-${eclipsearch}-sdk.tar.gz -C ${D}/usr/lib || die "Failed to extract the built package"

mv ${D}/usr/lib/eclipse ${D}/${eclipse_dir}

insinto ${eclipse_dir}

# Install launchers and native code
   exeinto ${eclipse_dir}

einfo "Installing eclipse-gtk binary"
   doexe eclipse-gtk || die "Failed to install eclipse binary"

if use nosrc ; then
      einfo "Stripping away source code"
      strip-src
   fi

if use nodoc ; then
      einfo "Stripping away documentation"
      strip-docs
   fi

# Install startup script
   exeinto /usr/bin
   doexe ${FILESDIR}/eclipse-${SLOT}

install-desktop-entry

doman ${FILESDIR}/eclipse.1

install-link-files
}

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  Helper functions
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

function setup-mozilla-opts()
{
   mozilla_dir="--mozdir-unset---"

if [ -f ${ROOT}/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/libgtkembedmoz.so ] ; then
      einfo "Compiling against www-client/mozilla-firefox"
      mozilla_dir=/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox
   elif [ -f ${ROOT}/usr/lib/mozilla/libgtkembedmoz.so ] ; then
      einfo "Compiling against www-client/mozilla"
      mozilla_dir=/usr/lib/mozilla
   else
      eerror "You have enabled the embedded mozilla component, but no suitable"
      eerror "provider was found. You need Mozilla or Firefox compiled against"
      eerror "gtk+ v2.0 or newer."
      eerror "To merge it, execute 'USE=\"gtk2\" emerge mozilla' as root."
      eerror "To disable embedded mozilla, remove \"mozilla\" from your USE flags."
      die "Need Mozilla compiled with gtk+-2.x support"
   fi

export GECKO_SDK="${mozilla_dir}"
   export GECKO_INCLUDES="-include ${GECKO_SDK}/include/mozilla-config.h \
      -I${GECKO_SDK}/include/nspr \
      -I${GECKO_SDK}/include/nspr \
      -I${GECKO_SDK}/include/xpcom \
      -I${GECKO_SDK}/include/string \
      -I${GECKO_SDK}/include/embed_base \
      -I${JAVA_HOME}/include/linux"
   export GECKO_LIBS="-L${GECKO_SDK} -lgtkembedmoz"
}

function build-native() {
   sh features/org.eclipse.platform.launchers/library/gtk/build.sh \
      -os linux -ws gtk \
      -arch ${eclipsearch} || die "Failed to build launcher"
}

function process-makefiles() {

# Comment out hard-coded JAVA_HOME
   sed -i 's/^JAVA_HOME/#JAVA_HOME/' plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux/src/Makefile || die "Failed to patch Makefile"

# Select the set of native libraries to compile
   local libs="make_swt make_awt make_atk"

if use gnome ; then
      einfo "Building GNOME VFS support"
      libs="${libs} make_gnome"
   fi

if use mozilla ; then
      einfo "Building Mozilla embed support"
      libs="${libs} make_mozilla"
   fi

if use atk ; then
      einfo "Building ATK support"
      libs="${libs} make_atk"
   fi

sed -i "s/^all:.*/all: ${libs}/" "plugins/org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse SWT PI/gtk/library/make_linux.mak" || die "Failed to patch make_linux.mak"
}

function create-desktop-entry() {

cat ${FILESDIR}/eclipse-${SLOT}.desktop | \
      sed -e "s/@PV@/${PV}/" \
      > eclipse-${SLOT}.desktop || die "Failed to create desktop entry"
}

function install-desktop-entry() {

dodir /usr/share/applications
   insinto /usr/share/applications
   doins eclipse-${SLOT}.desktop
}

function clean-prebuilt-code() {

find ${S} -type f \( -name '*.class' -o -name '*.so' -o -name '*.so.*' -o -name 'eclipse' \) | xargs rm -f
}

function get-memory-total() {
   cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal | sed -r "s/[^0-9]*([0-9]+).*/\1/"
}

function check-ram() {

local mem=$(get-memory-total)
   [ $(get-memory-total) -lt 775000 ] &&
      (
      echo
      ewarn "To build Eclipse, at least 768MB of RAM is recommended."
      ewarn "Your machine has less RAM. Continuing anyway. If the build"
      ewarn "stops with an error about invalid memory, increase your swap."
      echo
      )
}

function install-link-files() {

einfo "Installing link files"

dodir /usr/lib/eclipse-${SLOT}/links

echo "path=/opt/eclipse-extensions-3" > ${D}/${eclipse_dir}/links/eclipse-binary-extensions-3.link
   echo "path=/opt/eclipse-extensions-3.1" > ${D}/${eclipse_dir}/links/eclipse-binary-extensions-3.1.link

echo "path=/usr/lib/eclipse-extensions-3" > ${D}/${eclipse_dir}/links/eclipse-extensions-3.link
   echo "path=/usr/lib/eclipse-extensions-3.1" > ${D}/${eclipse_dir}/links/eclipse-extensions-3.1.link
}

function patch_amd64_ibm_jvm() {
   # the ibm jdk ebuild should have fixed headers, but until then
   # we just fix the compiling here (see bug #97421)
   if [ ${ARCH} == 'amd64' ]; then
       if [ ! -z "`java-config --java-version | grep IBM`" ] ; then
      einfo "Fixing IBM jdk header problem"
      find plugins -name "make_linux.mak" -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i -e 's/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -D_JNI_IMPORT_OR_EXPORT_= /'
       fi
   fi
}

function setup-jvm-opts() {

# Figure out correct boot classpath
   # karltk: this should be handled by the java-pkg eclass in setup-vm
   if [ ! -z "`java-config --java-version | grep IBM`" ] ; then
      # IBM JRE
      local bp="$(java-config --jdk-home)/jre/lib"
      bootclasspath="${bp}/core.jar:${bp}/xml.jar:${bp}/graphics.jar:${bp}/security.jar:${bp}/server.jar"
           JAVA_LIB_DIR="$(java-config --jdk-home)/jre/bin"
   else
      # Sun derived JREs (Blackdown, Sun)
      local bp="$(java-config --jdk-home)/jre/lib"
      bootclasspath="${bp}/rt.jar:${bp}/jsse.jar"
           JAVA_LIB_DIR="$(java-config --jdk-home)/jre/lib/${jvmarch}"
   fi
   einfo "Using bootclasspath ${bootclasspath}"
   einfo "Using JVM library path ${JAVA_LIB_DIR}"

if [ ! -f ${JAVA_LIB_DIR}/libawt.so ] ; then
       die "Could not find libawt.so native library"
   fi

export AWT_LIB_PATH=${JAVA_LIB_DIR}
}

function strip-src() {

local bp=${D}/${eclipse_dir}

rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.source_3*
   rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.source_3*
   rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.platform.source.linux.*
   rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.platform.source_3*

rm -rf ${bp}/features/org.eclipse.jdt.source_3*/
   rm -rf ${bp}/features/org.eclipse.pde.source_3*/
   rm -rf ${bp}/features/org.eclipse.platform.source_3*/
}

function strip-docs() {
   local bp=${D}/${eclipse_dir}

rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.platform.doc.*
   rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.*
   rm -rf ${bp}/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.doc.*
}

function check-cflags() {

einfo "Checking for bad CFLAGS"

local badflags="-fomit-frame-pointer -msse2"
   local error=false

for x in ${badflags} ; do
      if [ ! -z "$(echo ${CFLAGS} | grep -- $x)" ] ; then
         ewarn "Found offending option $x in your CFLAGS"
         error=true
      fi
   done
   if [ ${error} == "true" ]; then
      echo
      ewarn "One or more potentially gruesome CFLAGS detected. When you run into trouble,"
      ewarn "please edit /etc/make.conf and remove all offending flags, then recompile"
      ewarn "Eclipse and all its dependencies before submitting a bug report."
      echo
      ewarn "In particular, gtk+ is extremely sensitive to which which flags it was"
      ewarn "compiled with."
      echo
      einfo "Tip: use equery depgraph \"=${PF}\" to list all dependencies."
      echo
      ebeep
   fi
}

You will also need the 06-path-fixups.patch inside the files/ directory:
Code:
diff -ur eclipse.orig/plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux/build.xml eclipse.fix/plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux/build.xml
--- eclipse.orig/plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux/build.xml   2005-05-13 21:34:52.000000000 +0300
+++ eclipse.fix/plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux/build.xml   2005-05-23 21:43:30.000000000 +0300
@@ -57,10 +57,15 @@

<target name="gather.bin.parts" depends="init" if="destination.temp.folder">
       <mkdir dir="${destination.temp.folder}/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux_3.1.0"/>
+          <exec dir="./src" executable="make">
+          </exec>
+     <copy todir="os/linux/${basearch}" failonerror="true" overwrite="false">
+           <fileset dir="src" includes="*.so"/>
+          </copy>
       <copy todir="${destination.temp.folder}/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux_3.1.0" failonerror="true" overwrite="false">
          <fileset dir="${basedir}" includes="os/,META-INF/,about.html"         />
       </copy>
-      <chmod perm="755" dir="${destination.temp.folder}/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux_3.1.0" includes="os/linux/x86/*.so" />
+      <chmod perm="755" dir="${destination.temp.folder}/org.eclipse.core.resources.linux_3.1.0" includes="os/linux/${basearch}/*.so" />
    </target>

<target name="build.zips" depends="init">
diff -ur eclipse.orig/plugins/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/src/build.xml eclipse.fix/plugins/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/src/build.xml
--- eclipse.orig/plugins/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/src/build.xml   2005-05-13 21:37:28.000000000 +0300
+++ eclipse.fix/plugins/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/src/build.xml   2005-05-23 21:43:30.000000000 +0300
@@ -5,7 +5,7 @@
   <!-- Set a meaningful default value for when it is not. -->
   <property name="eclipse-home" value="${basedir}/../.."/>
   <property name="jdk-path" value="${java.home}"/> 
-  <property name="destination" value="${eclipse-home}/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/os/linux/x86/"/>
+  <property name="destination" value="${eclipse-home}/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/os/linux/${arch}/"/>
   <property name="obj-path" value="${eclipse-home}/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/src/"/>
   <property name="src-path" value="${eclipse-home}/org.eclipse.update.core.linux/src/"/> 

@@ -47,17 +47,17 @@
     <property name="header-path" value="${jdk-path}/../include"/>
     <property name="header-linux-path" value="${header-path}/linux" />

-   <echo message="gcc -o  ${library-file} -shared -I${src-path} -I${header-linux-path} ${library-file} -static -lc"/>
+   <echo message="gcc -o  ${library-file} -shared -fPIC -I${src-path} -I${header-linux-path} ${library-file} -lc"/>

<apply executable="gcc" dest="${eclipse-home}/" parallel="false">
       <arg value="-o"/>
       <arg value="${library-file}"/>
       <arg value="-shared"/>
+      <arg value="-fPIC"/>
       <arg value="-I${src-path}"/>
       <arg value="-I${header-path}"/>     
       <arg value="-I${header-linux-path}"/> 
      <srcfile/>
-     <arg value="-static"/>           
       <arg value="-lc"/>    
       <fileset dir="${src-path}" includes="*.c"/>
       <mapper type="glob" from="*.c" to="*.o"/>
diff -ur eclipse.orig/plugins/org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse SWT PI/gtk/library/build.sh eclipse.fix/plugins/org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse SWT PI/gtk/library/build.sh
--- eclipse.orig/plugins/org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse SWT PI/gtk/library/build.sh   2005-06-27 23:46:32.000000000 +0300
+++ eclipse.fix./plugins/org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse SWT PI/gtk/library/build.sh   2005-06-27 23:51:09.000000000 +0300
@@ -30,7 +30,9 @@
             if [ "${JAVA_HOME}" = "" ]; then
                JAVA_HOME=/bluebird/teamswt/swt-builddir/jdk1.5.0
             fi
-            AWT_LIB_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/amd64
+            if [ "${AWT_LIB_PATH}" = "" ]; then
+                AWT_LIB_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/amd64
+            fi
             XTEST_LIB_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib64
             if [ "${GECKO_SDK}" = "" ]; then
                GECKO_SDK=/mozilla/mozilla/1.7/amd64/gtk2/mozilla/dist/sdk
@@ -48,7 +50,9 @@
             if [ "${JAVA_HOME}" = "" ]; then
                JAVA_HOME=/bluebird/teamswt/swt-builddir/IBMJava2-141
             fi
-            AWT_LIB_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin
+            if [ "${AWT_LIB_PATH}" = "" ]; then
+                AWT_LIB_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin
+            fi
             XTEST_LIB_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib
             if [ "${GECKO_SDK}" = "" ]; then
                GECKO_SDK=/mozilla/mozilla/1.4/linux_gtk2/mozilla/dist/sdk
--- eclipse-sdk-3.1/plugins/org.eclipse.help.webapp/build.xml.orig   2005-07-02 23:53:29.888012464 +0000
+++ eclipse-sdk-3.1/plugins/org.eclipse.help.webapp/build.xml   2005-07-02 23:53:42.596080544 +0000
@@ -165,7 +165,7 @@
       <java
          classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC"
          fork="true"
-         failonerror="false"
+         failonerror="true"
          classpathref="jasper.classpath"
          output="${temp.folder}/WEB-INF/lib/jsp.jar.bin.log">
          <arg value="-v3" />

And it works. If you have to compile Eclipse 3.x for the first time using JDK 1.5.x, try to disable Xalan by putting USE flag "noxalan" when compiling ant. Other than Xalan, everything should be compilable under JDK 1.5.x.

I've tried my luck on the latest version 3.2M3, but it didn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: