Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Offline browser or retrieval tool for complex servlet URLs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Offline browser or retrieval tool for complex servlet URLs? Reply with quote

I recently bought an electronic automotive manual that uses Java servlets to present the information. Basically, it just runs Tomcat locally and then gives you an embedded instance of IE to browse with. Problems with this:

- The frontend is pretty crummy
- It's far more complex than it needs to be (for what could basically be a collection of static HTML and GIFs)
- It's windows-only (not cool)

If I want to view this manual under linux, it seems I've got two options:
(a) Host the same set of source data and code (servlets/JSPs) with Tomcat for linux
(b) While the frontend/server is running under windows, connect and save static copies of all the HTML with some sort of offline browser or recursive retrieval tool

I don't think (a) will work because the code in the servlets that retrieve the data seems to be environment-dependent. I'd much rather do (b). So, I've tried Metaproducts Offline Explorer under windows, but it just seems to get confused by the complex Java servlet requests and complex URLs. I end up with mostly broken links. I have similar problems using wget.

Basically, I just want to automate the process of manually saving each page and its images, and then correct all the links. Is there some trick to make wget work better with servlets? Can anyone recommend a good offline browser or retrieval tool I might try?

--Colin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: