Kernel doesn't seem to be compiled
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thiemo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Kernel doesn't seem to be compiled Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am having problems to compile a kernel on my iBook (probably first generation/revision as it's a tengarine with 300 MHz). :(

I took a Gentoo PPC 1.2 iso for booting and stage1_ppc_14_rc3.tbz2 for the rest. :)

I frist got some error about "comx-hw-munich" I finally worked around by leaving away some options in "make menuconfig". Now, the kernel compilation seems to work, at least I don't get any errors anymore, but then, there is no kernel where I expect it to be. It is neither in "/usr/src/linux" as the installation doc suggests nor in "/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/boot" where I would expect it. However, I found in a subdirectory of the latter (I cannot reproduce its name from memory) some "kernels" that could have been generated by the compilation process according to their date size and name. They are called "vmlinx.gz", "vmlinux.coff" and "vmlinux.elf-pmac". I tried them instead but to no avail. The first two didn't get recognized as "elf" kernels and the "elf" hung just after being detected as a kernel. :roll:

Does anybody happen to know what's wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Thiemo

BTW:
1. The German keyboard layout is worthless. The keys get jumbled, e.g. the return key delivers "C".
2. I cannot switch into an other console (every combination of ctrl, alt, command pressed with F-key)
3. I needed to "emerge rsync" before I could "env-update" and "source /etc/profile". There was a some "profile" error as far as I remember.
4. I was having probs with yaboot. The kernel file didn't get found until I pointed to a top directory symlink. (image=/vmlinux.elf-pmac instead of image=/boot/vmlinux.elf-pmac where the first path is a symlink). As far as I remember I am using yaboot 1.3.8.
5. I configured three yaboot entries at first for the three kernels I tried. However, only one "Gnu/Linux" showed up at boot and this isn't even a label of mine.
:roll:

6. I am very keen on Gentoo. Thanks to all the folks that have made it and contributed.
:P
andersv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. The German keyboard layout is worthless. The keys get jumbled, e.g. the return key delivers "C".
2. I cannot switch into an other console (every combination of ctrl, alt, command pressed with F-key)

Try booting with:

keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1

about the rest, im not an expert so I cant help you there.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's talking about the install CD kernel, because I had those problems, too, and the keycode boot option didn't change a thing at the time. Doesn't really matter though, once you've put the "de" in your rc.conf (and boot into your own kernel, which obviously is the problem here), everything is fine. Just wait until you try using your German keyboard in X... :P

Switching to another tty may work by hitting the command key alone, nothing else, that should toggle you through all six of them. To be on the safe side, you should start your shell with a US keyboard layout. It certainly takes some getting used to, but at least it works predictably.

That profile error from when you did env-update: Just disregard it. As you've already discovered, it goes away once you rsync.

The real question is, why does the kernel compilation not produce an output. That vmlinux.elf-pmac looks like a default thing that comes with the package, it's not yours. You're definitely looking for /usr/src/linux/vmlinux after a successful compilation, that much is certain. Have you checked the /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx-xxN/ directory? Perhaps it's just a missing symlink? Forgive me if that is humiliatingly below your level of expertise, but freak accidents do happen to everyone... :wink:
Thiemo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Switching to another tty may work by hitting the command key alone, nothing else, that should toggle you through all six of them.

I'm affraid, it does not. :(

Quote:

To be on the safe side, you should start your shell with a US keyboard layout. It certainly takes some getting used to, but at least it works predictably.

And what's even better: One has got ALL the keys one needs, somewhere. ;)

Quote:

The real question is, why does the kernel compilation not produce an output. That vmlinux.elf-pmac looks like a default thing that comes with the package, it's not yours. You're definitely looking for /usr/src/linux/vmlinux after a successful compilation, that much is certain. Have you checked the /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx-xxN/ directory? Perhaps it's just a missing symlink? Forgive me if that is humiliatingly below your level of expertise, but freak accidents do happen to everyone...

I thought the elf-thing was something lik mention. However, it goblinned me by having a date that could very well have been from my comlilation.

I took /usr/src/linux for a symlink to the "real" "versioned" directory of the linux source. So I would expect the source being in it or at least in this xyz/boot directory I mentioned in my first posting. Anyway, I'll check your hint as soon as I can access the only console I have got. I am emerging just a couple of little things like kde, mozilla, koffice... :lol:
Thiemo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo! I finally managed to compile a kernel. I pulled back from my highly adjusted kernel config to a basic one with "make mrproper" and only put in file systems I need. Well, it did compile. Though, I got a hog of almost 3.5 MB size! Is this normal :?:

BTW: There was no symlink or whatsoever. :)

Cheers

Thiemo
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! How did you get it that slim? Mine's 3.7 MB... :P
Thiemo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little tweaking here a little tweaking there and now it's just over 2.7 MB.

:)

If you like I can post my config file.

Cheers

Thiemo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: