View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crohnnie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Gentoo not as reliable as before... Reply with quote

I'm new to posting to the forums (my first post), but have been using Gentoo for over a year now. I find it very stable, and very easy to use and keep up to date. Any problems I've encountered have been easy to solve by looking through the docs or browsing the forums. I always stick to packages considered stable, and never play with the masked ones.

In the past 4 months or so, it doesn't seem quite so easy to keep updated. I've noticed that every time I upgrade my system, it breaks something. Usually if I sync again after a couple of days it gets fixed, but this does tend to get annoying. The stability and reliability of Gentoo made me decide to get rid of windows, but now it doesn't seem quite so reliable. I guess I'm wondering if there has been some major change with the way things are declared stable, or if someone different is making these decisions now. Things just seem a little more buggy lately.

This is just a little food for thought from an average user who likes the distro, but is starting to wonder. Any feedback from the more experienced users, or just average users like myself, would be appreciated.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running ~arch? Are you using dodgy CFLAGS? Are you running a broken kernel? Are you running a broken filesystem? Are you doing insane things in make.conf?
MdaG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering why the attr and acl packages are switching from being a dependancy to not being needed at all (checked with emerge -p depclean)?
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that? If you change core-system USE flags, expect to have to rebuild your system. If you're installing from a stage 3, use the same USE flags as the stage. This has always been the case.
MdaG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only flags I've added are

USE="alsa cdr dvd dvdr imap nptl -kde -gnome "
Liquid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Are you running ~arch? Are you using dodgy CFLAGS? Are you running a broken kernel? Are you running a broken filesystem? Are you doing insane things in make.conf?

This is the problem guys, if you like to play with the superlast things, consider that break your box can happen. Who use dodgy CFLAGS deserve to have a broken box :)

Actually in my office I have plenty gentoo box installed from stage 3 with defalut flags and without running ~arch, everything works like a charm.
On the other side at home I play with everything possible and of course I broke things, but never I will post here a complain on that.
MdaG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running the stable branch and I'm apart from my USE I'm using the defaults. I'm not having any problems at all, I just wondered about attr and acl.
crohnnie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:

I'm not doing anything different than I was doing for the first 10 months I was using Gentoo. No crazy use flags, just the stuff recommended in the install docs. My filesystem doesn't seem to be broken. My kernel (2.4.25) hasn't given me any problems since I installed it. As I said in my first post, I can usually sort things out with the help of the forums and docs, but it just seems that I end up doing that more and more lately. At first it was simple, 'emerge -u world' and everything would work when it was finished. Now it seems that when I do this, I have to spend time tracking down where a compile failed, and fixing it. Updates just don't seem to be as transparent and easy as they used to be. I'm not looking for specific support, just wordering if it's just me, or is anyone else finding similar problems as well.
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing ciaranm, what he is actually asking is:

Are you using CFLAGS that break executables?
Are you using a -love or -nitro kernel, or any other kernel with loads of mostly untested exprimental patches ?
Are you using Reiser4?
Is your make.conf similar to this one?

Seems like the answer to all of these is "no".

( What he is trying to do is rule out user brain damage. You seem to be talking about actual Gentoo problems that are not your fault, though )
crohnnie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosite wrote:

Seems like the answer to all of these is "no".

You're right. My setup is pretty vanilla. Nothing out of the ordinary, just what the install docs recommended.

By the way, I got a really good laugh from the linked bug report. :lol:
wirwzd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was using ~arch things were getting a little wacky, but I believe that can be attributed to a pickup in the pace of development and growth over the past 6 months. Which is a Good Thing®.

Not surprising as after all testing is by its definition is "A procedure for critical evaluation; a means of determining the presence, quality, or truth of something". So more testing == better Gentoo.

Switching to stable arch and over to the new /etc/portage system has evened things out greatlyas well. Toned down the CFLAGS to "-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" and switched to the hardened toolchain. I was using "-O3 -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse,387 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fstack-protector-all"

On my laptop, most of the time I run the hardened kerenel with PaX/Grsecurity with fbspash/vesafb-tng patched in but switch between this, nitro, gentoo-dev-sources, and vanilla 2.6.11-rc1 with the ck patches, fbspash, vesafb-tng tossed in. My desktop and ultra-5 web/mail server run Gentoo as well.

There seems to have been much change lately, but it seems to be converging on a much easier to manage system (use flags, controlling updates, etc).

Also documentation has goten much better as well (except for maybe documentation of local use flags, but then again if you dont't know what it does, you probably shouldn't touch it :wink: .Maybe someting like emerge -l for use flags?)

Note this is not directed at the original poster (as above they seem to be running a pretty vanilla setup) just my $0.02 on the current state of Gentoo.

Last edited by wirwzd on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
titan100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not noticed this, I upgrade world every week, nothing has broken the last untold number of times. Most of the time when soemthing breaks, it's becuse I do something really stupid like rm some lib :)
wirwzd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is most testing done with the 2.6 kernel/headers now?

Ive only been using gentoo for a few months and have never used the 2.4 kernel outside of my sparc server. I only do what's neccesary for security updates to this one.
Pajarico
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crohnnie to me it seems like you screwed your /etc files. Did you do etc-update every now and then?
:wink:
Doc7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i get crohnnie's point.

Lately there were more upgrades that needed manual intervention.

e.g.:
- problem regarding lidstdcc (or something), after last upgrade of gcc
- some broken snapshots, using emerge-webrsync
- about any kde-app "broken", when "-arts" did get a different behavior on kde-3.something
- some portage update, that wiped all use-flags
- kernel-2.6.9 had trouble with cdr
just to name some problems i realized.

These probs weren't really hard to fix most of the time, but at least they are annoying and prevent me from running updates unattended anymore

ohh... btw... i don't use any experimental use-/cflags either :roll:
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting the feeling that it's getting more unstable lately.
I use a pretty vanilla setup though.

I might put Debian (prolly Woody... yeah Woody) on this box. I simply need a stable box.
crohnnie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajarico wrote:
crohnnie to me it seems like you screwed your /etc files. Did you do etc-update every now and then?
:wink:

I do update my config files after every emerge. :) I try to keep an up to date and stable system.

Originally. one of the major things that drew me to Gentoo was the portage system, but like Doc7 says, it just doesn't seem to be as hands-off as it used to be.
wirwzd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats ironic about this discussion is right after I posted, my GCC was borked by the GCC upgrade/downgrade BS...lol.

But then again if I didn't have GCC marked for testing, I wouldn't have had the issue. So now I have it locked at gcc-3.4.3-r1 ~X86.

Was a pain to recover from
crohnnie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example of my original point, I upgraded one of my systems to an AMD64 on an MSI Neo MB this week. I spent 3 full evenings and all day Saturday trying to get a reasonably stable system running on this box. I ran into no less than a dozen compile errors that I had to overcome before I could get the system to load gnome. The system was crashing regularly.

The solution that I finally came up with was to download and install Fedora. I spent 1.5 hours to configure and install the OS and boot into a functional desktop (gnome or kde, I installed both). This compares to several days to get an unstable desktop with Gentoo. I mean no disrespect to those who are dedicated Gentoo users, but sometimes a person just wants something that works.

I guess I'm just a little tired of fighting against my OS in order to be productive.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crohnnie wrote:
As an example of my original point, I upgraded one of my systems to an AMD64 on an MSI Neo MB this week. I spent 3 full evenings and all day Saturday trying to get a reasonably stable system running on this box. I ran into no less than a dozen compile errors that I had to overcome before I could get the system to load gnome. The system was crashing regularly.

Fix your hardware, and next time don't overclock.
crohnnie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:

Pretty standard hardware, and I don't overclock my system!
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People buy inferior mainboards and wonder why their systems are such a mess. Its the heart of your system guys...get quality, dont get cheap (yes I know there is worse than MSI, but its certainly not the most solid of boards). See the difference when you buy superior hardware.

I also dont understand how you spend an hour and a half installing a binary distro? It should take no longer than 10 mins. to copy the files from disk. Thats about it, you copy all the files and you are up and running. There is no extended install or extended partition formatting like Windows. Linux is basically setup with "cp". Aslong as the files are in the proper place, you are good to go. I setup up FC2 in 7 mins...

You shouldnt get mad at the hammer because you hit yourself in the thumb with it, but that is often the mentality of the person isnt it? You know how many posts I have seen where people swear up and down they hate Linux and Gentoo, and post back saying it was there mistake and now everything is peachy...
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
People buy inferior mainboards and wonder why their systems are such a mess. Its the heart of your system guys...get quality, dont get cheap (yes I know there is worse than MSI, but its certainly not the most solid of boards). See the difference when you buy superior hardware.

Inferior hardware?! The MSI Neos are some of the best motherboards on the AMD64 desktop market, right up there with Asus and Abit.

But the fact that it takes him that long to configure and install things makes me suspect he is was negligent with his hardware, which could have been damaged by something like ESD (note: just an example, it could have been any number of other little things that affect stability).

cronnhie, have you run memtest, cpuburn, etc and checked to see if your hardware is stable? non-reproducible emerge errors can also be indicative of hardware problems. For the majority of compile errors you encontered, have you confirmed that other people have experienced the same issues, and that none of them were user error on your part?
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
crohnnie wrote:

Woot for assinine assumptions!

crohnnie wrote:
ciaranm wrote:

truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lews_Therin wrote:
ciaranm wrote:
crohnnie wrote:

Woot for assinine assumptions!

crohnnie wrote:
ciaranm wrote:

yea he seems to do that alot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: