Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
bibtex: bibliography in alphabetic order?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: bibtex: bibliography in alphabetic order? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm writing my final thesis in Latex and I want my bibliography to appear in alpabetical order. I use
Code:

\usepackage[numbers,sort]{natbib}
\bibliographystyle{plainnat}
\bibliography{thesis}
\nocite{*}

But an entry like
Code:
@misc{vub:01,
        author  = {Bart Verheecke and Mar\'ia Agustina Cibr\'an and Vivianne Jonckers},
        title   = {Modularizing Client Side Web Service Management Aspects},
        url     = {http://ssel.vub.ac.be/wsml/papers/Cibran_Verheecke_NCWS03.pdf},
        year    = {2003}
}

is placed after (in the final pdf):
Code:
@book{Cera02,
 author         = {Ethan Cerami},
 year           = {2002},
 title          = {Web Services Essentials},
 publisher      = {O'Reilly},
 isbn           = {0-596-00224-6},
 note           = {288p},
}

I thought the plainnat style should sort in alphabetical order, especially because I set the sort option for the natbib-package. What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,

A belgian Gentoo user
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmm.. Bart Verbeecke-> last name verbeecke, should come after Ethan Cerami (last name Cerami)
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Okay, I think this is rather a stupid way to sort the bibliograpy (don't mind the language), as it sorts the bibliography according to the lastname, but displays it in the order of the firstname,... . Where is the logic? And does there exist a way to tell bibtex (without rewriting my whole bibliography) to sort & display against the first name of the first author.

Kind regards,

A belgian Gentoo user

(btw.: I looked through the documentation of bibnat and although it mentions alphabetic sorting, it never mentions on what it sorts (would be nice if that would've documented too.))
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the sorting in the dvi/pdf file is defined by
Code:
\bibliographystyle{plainnat}

and is sometimes based on order of appearence of the cites, but mostly alfabetically by last name. I've never heard of anywhere (including phonebooks/adressbooks/churchregisters/deathrows etc) where it would be logical to base it on the first name.

The sorting in the bibtex file is up to you. You can do it on Year, on how much you like the person whatever. I know with gbib you can load a bibtex file and tell it to sort it alphabetically (normally by lastname) and save the bibtex file again.

NOTE I'm confused with what you are trying to say here
Quote:
Okay, I think this is rather a stupid way to sort the bibliograpy (don't mind the language), as it sorts the bibliography according to the lastname, but displays it in the order of the firstname,...

do you mean with sorts in the pdf file and with displays in the bibtex file???
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note, because maybe I'm totally misunderstanding you. The problem might be that bibtex handles Bart Verbeecke as Bart being the last name. I think you should actually say
Code:
Verbeecke, Bart
and the it will know Verbeecke is the last name and Bart the first name
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Well if I want to sort names by their last name, then I would want the last name the first thing to be visible in the list. Compare it to a phone book in your cellular phone. If you set the option to sort the names according to their last name, you'll see first the lastname and then the firstname.

Is it stated anywhere that when you write 'string1 string2' in the author field, that string 2 is being treated as the last name? And what about multiple authors eg.: Bart Verheecke and Maria Gonzales and Vicky DePauw?

Perhaps I've got a really bad bibtex manual. Could you point me into some direction about good, not difficult to read bibtex-references? I mean, I'm writing about programming, I don't want to read a lot of manuals of how to program my thesis about programming,... . :wink:

Kind regards

A belgian Gentoo user

Btw. hoe is het weer daar in Nederland :d
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now I understand, well I'm not sure which style to use then. I always write author names: Holling, CS and then they will indeed appear as CS Holling in the bib (but alphabetically by last name (Holling)).

This seems kinda a good page:
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~hildebr/tex/bibliographies.html
Notably
Code:
Formatting of multi-author items. As in the above example, multiple authors should be separated by the word "and". It is important to note that the conjunction "and" here serves only as a separator for internal use by the bibtex program and has no bearing on the output generated. The exact form in which multiple authors are listed is determined by the bibliography style (see below). In the Graham/Knuth/Patashnik example most styles would place a comma between the first two authors and a comma followed by "and" between the second and third author.
Formatting of author entries. While bibtex accepts, and can properly parse, different formats such as "Donald E. Knuth" and "Knuth, Donald E.", it is best to pick a single format (I'd recommend the former) and use that consistently. The particular format in which an author's name is listed in the bibtex database has no bearing on the output generated, as the formatting of authors is determined by the bibliography style used.
Formatting of non-standard or unusual author names. Author names that contain accents (such as "Paul Erd\H os"), or which are not of the standard "first middle last" format, need to be formatted in a special way so that bibtex can properly alphabetize the entries by last name. Accented characters should be enclosed in braces, as in "Paul Erd{\H o}s". In names that do not follow the standard "first middle last" pattern, the complete last name should be enclosed in parentheses: For example, use "John {Doe III}" and "Jose {Dos Santos}" to ensure that these entries get alphabetized under "D" rather than "I" or "S".

PS Ik zit op het moment paar jaar in Engeland, maar denk dat het weer ongeveer hetzelfde is.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the form '{Firstname Lastname} and {Firstname Lastname}' to work quit reliable. The important thing is that you stick to one way of formatting in the bibliography file. If the need arises you can always write your own output style were you can cutomize the things to your liking. (see also http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/custom-bib.html?action=/tools/cataloguesearch&catstring=custom-bib)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: