Proper DVD setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Proper DVD setup Reply with quote

I'm finding myself running around in circles here. I don't know how to properly set up my DVD player in Linux, and searching this board didn't give me any definite answers. It's a plain old IDE Panasonic DVD drive. It's detected and I can mount DVDs on them, but nothing seems to recognize them as DVDs and I certainly can't play any movies off of it. I've emerged both MPlayer and Totem, and neither one seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.
greatguru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: an idea Reply with quote

I don't normally use DVD's, b/c generally if I'm watching a movie I don't normally have the disc.....

Anyway, try xine. I hear its a great dvd movie player with several different frontends.

Their site: http://xinehq.de/ Its also def. in portage, as well as a few different frontends.

Cheers,

-Ben
noergeli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can mount them, you should be able to play them. Mplayer expects DVDs at /dev/dvd. This has to point to your drives /dev entry. If you don't have the dvd device in /dev, create a symlink to the real device or specify the right device in mplayers settings. If this doesn't solve it, any error messages would be helpful.
AbsturZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try the following:

1. emerge libdvdcss (for css decryption)
2. insert a dvd but _do not_ mount it
3. start mplayer from console by: mplayer (-ao arts/... [optionally for sound daemons]) --dvd-device /dev/WHATEVER dvd://n [n for the title on dvd (mostly 1 or 2; but the console output will give you the number of titles on the dvd)]
4. if the dvd starts properly modify your mplayer.conf to always use this dvd device

this plays the most dvds at my machine (i found only one yet which isn't playable).

btw: even if the dvd doesn't startup the console output will give you some hints how to modify your configuration files :)
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I discovered my problem by going to the xine website and reading their FAQ. The first problem was that I was mounting the DVDs, so I stopped doing that. Next, I discovered that there's a bug in X.Org that prevents xine-lib from properly displaying video, so I added the appropriate option (Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps") and it works like a charm. I watched an episode of Star Trek: Voyager last night. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: