Parts missing from the 2004.3 handbook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackman2k1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Parts missing from the 2004.3 handbook Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been using Gentoo off and on ever since pre-1.0. Last night, I tried installing 2004.3 since I had to ditch my 2004.1 install several months ago. I thought I would go with the 2004.3 handbook in case it had any new gotchas or things to look for.

The 2004.3 handbook seems to completely skip over the whole "moving from stage1 to stage2" and "stage2 to stage3" and bootstrapping sections. It jumped straight from configuring the USE variable and make.conf to symlinking to a location in zoneinfo.

Of course, I had no zoneinfo to speak of. I searched the forums here and was reminded that that comes with glibc. I tried emerging glibc and several things failed due to "-I../c++: no such file or directory." I tried looking for g++ to give me the correct compile deps, but no luck.

Tonight when I get home (I'm at work now), I'm going to start over and this time, I'm going to use the plain gentoo handbook. I see that the needed sections are still there.

I just wanted to let everyone know that those parts were missing. If I ran into this problem, I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thanks.

Wackman

Athlon II X4 920 (a quad core for $99!)
4GB DDR2 RAM (2 gigs of 667 on one channel - 2 gigs of 800 on another)
Asus M4A78-E
AMD 790GX chipset
ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is by design. It sounds like you want to use the Gentoo Handbook which isn't as narrowly focused.

Gentoo Linux 2004.3 x86 Handbook wrote:
2.b. The Gentoo Universal LiveCD

Introduction

Gentoo Linux can be installed using one of three stage tarball files. A stage file is a tarball (compressed archive) that contains a minimal environment.

* A stage1 file contains nothing more than a compiler, Portage (Gentoo's software management system) and a couple of packages on which the compiler or Portage depends.
* A stage2 file contains a so-called bootstrapped system, a minimal environment from which one can start building all other necessary applications that make a Gentoo environment complete.
* A stage3 file contains a prebuilt minimal system which is almost fully deployable. It only lacks a few applications where you, the Gentoo user, needs to choose which one you want to install.

We will opt for a stage3 installation throughout this document. If you want to perform a Gentoo installation using the stage1 or stage2 files, please use the installation instructions in the Gentoo Handbook. They do require a working Internet connection though.

wackman2k1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Doh! I was in a hurry and didn't notice that. Reply with quote

Yeah, I was a little too anxious and skipped what I didn't think I needed (or thought I already knew). I skipped the intro where it described the difference in the stages. Then, in the part where it describes extracting the stage3, the code example shows checking a stage1 with md5sum, so it didn't stick out. That part was also about using a Universal CD, so I skipped ahead to the part about getting a stage from the Internet.

Chalk it up to a combination of being too eager for my own good and misreading what I did see.

Athlon II X4 920 (a quad core for $99!)
4GB DDR2 RAM (2 gigs of 667 on one channel - 2 gigs of 800 on another)
Asus M4A78-E
AMD 790GX chipset
ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: