HOW-TO: Azureus and Automatic Download of TV Shows Using RSS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienvenom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: HOW-TO: Azureus and Automatic Download of TV Shows Using RSS Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I had a MythTV box that ran Debian Unstable. It was a succesful little box and I even got the Myth front-end working for Windows. A few months ago, a friend of mine told me about his "box" that he used to download TV shows automatically, except I could not compare with my captured quality. I decided to convert this MythTV box into a very minimal Gentoo box, running X, fluxbox and azureus with a few extra services (samba, ftp, http) to help out with file transfering.

Here's how I did it:

1. Installed Gentoo. Instructions can be found in the Gentoo Handbook.

2. Mounted the 2nd hard drive with "reiserfs". I wanted something fast that has journaling (in case of a power failure or some unknown problem). The drive that I am using is a 200GB Maxtor (7200 rpm/8MB cache). I once did this on windows, on a 120GB drive and 120GB was more than enough to download. If you consider that in standard HDTV release format, 1 hour is a little less than 400MB, you can get something around 500 or so hours. Beat that Tivo!

Code:
/dev/hdd1               /mnt/storage    reiserfs        defaults                0 0

3. Installed X, and the Fluxbox window manager. I let it match dependencies automatically.

My USE flag: -qt -kde -gnome gtk gtk2 cdr alsa -oss -esound -arts -esd

Note: It is not necessary to include alsa, or any sound "features" here. Since the computer is downloading constantly, it is not necessary to have audio support. In my case, I watch the movies on this computer (sometimes) so I enabled/installed alsa.

4. Installed Azureus. I had some major issues using the Sun JRE/JDK so after fuxing with it for a bit, I ended up using Blackdown 1.4.2.01.
Note: This is only because of my own success. I'm sure other JREs will work, but I am using Blackdown and it's not "masked" so you should too! :-P

The latest version of Azureus (bin) is masked under ~arch.
Code:
echo "net-p2p/azureus-bin ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

DO NOT "emerge azureus". It is VERY VERY OUTDATED and probably will not work with the RSS plugin.
Code:
emerge -av azureus-bin

Look at the dependencies and make sure it's installing Blackdown and not some other Java VM. If it's installing another:
Code:
emerge -av blackdown-jdk blackdown-jre

If you had to install blackdown first, now install Azureus (bin).
Code:
emerge -av azureus-bin

5. Once Azureus is installed, run it and adjust the settings. Something to keep in mind is the port. With BitTorrent, if you want fast downloads, you need to have a port opened to you. I'm using 43210 instead of the default 6881 or 6889 or whatever. I just wated to be sure my ISP doesn't filter certain "p2p" ports. After configuring Azureus, close it and locate your plugins directory.

Usually the plugins directory is in the home directory of the user. Mine is /home/brian/.Azureus/plugins/

6. Download and install the RSS Feed Scanner plugin. I am using version 1.1 but there is a "beta" 1.2p2 out. There is also a "RSS Import" plugin which apparently has very VERY advanced regular expression support, but I like the visuals of RSS Feed Scanner. Look below for some screenshots.

Download: RSS Feed Scanner 1.1
Download: RSS Feed Scanner 1.2p2

Note: I am using version 1.1. It works, and I had some 'issues' with 1.2p2 downloading files twice. I'll post it here for archival purposes or in case anyone wants to attempt to develop it a bit more.

Note: The plugin developer's website has been down for quite some time and it's unlikely that it'll come back (a few months it's been down).

In order to install the plugin, you will need the "unzip" program.

Code:
emerge -av unzip

You will see two newly created files. rssfeed.jar and plugin.properties. They need to be placed (if they aren't already) in a directory called "rssfeed". Once they're in this folder, move this directory into your Azureus plugins directory (as found above).

7.Open Azureus and Configure the Plugin

Go into Tools -> Options... On the left, there should be a submenu titled "Plugins". Expand it and click on RSS Feed Configuration. Make sure Automatic reload is enabled and set the reload delay to about 15 minutes (900 s). Most RSS feeds have flood protection, so refreshing them every 5 seconds is NOT a good idea.

Click "SAVE" (at the bottom left) when done. Then click on the Plugins menu and choose "RSSFeed". A new tab will appear. This is a great opportunity to read what's in the Help tab for the plugin.

8. Click on the "Options" tab within the plugin. Under RSS Feed URLs, click on the "+" button to the left. A series of options will appear on the right.

Here are a few feeds that you can use:

http://www.btefnet.com/backend.php
http://www.tvtorrents.ws/rss.php
http://www.tv-swarm.com/rss.xml

When you add them, give them a descriptive name, and make sure they are enabled.

Click on the "Status" tab within the plugin. Make sure there is feed content in this location. If you mis-typed the URL, it simply wont show up. Refer to the screenshot at the bottom for more information.

9. Add television shows to be downloaded automatically. Use the screenshot as a reference for the show "Numb3rs".

As you can see I clicked "Filter is a regular expression" and "Filter searches Link". I have "Filter searches titles" UNCHECKED.

For the TV show Numb3rs, I'm using numb3rs.*hdtv* as my filter. It will only download HDTV releases and closes the door for the possibilty of VCD releases.

Perform a similar step for each additional show.

Note: The plugin is a little more complex than this! And there are tons of ways to use it! This is only one example and is probably the most simple.

10. Install additional services (samba, ftp, http).
This should be pretty self explanatory. I'm using ProFTPD as my FTP daemon.
Troubleshooting:

1. Make sure Azureus has a default directory to place downloaded files. You can check this by going into Tools -> Options and clicking (not expanding) the "Files" submenu on the left. There should be a "save to default data directory."

2. It is also possible to download files by double clicking on their entry in the "Status" tab. If you do this and are having problems, keep in mind the following things:

* The default download directory must be writable by all users, so chown so it has group "users" and chmod it so it 0777.

* If you're downloading to a second partitition/device like I am,this is really important. Check this and make sure it's chmodded. Simply creating a folder and expecting it to work with the user "brian" isn't good enough.

Screenshots:

Status Tab: http://www.dogtoe.com/gallery/albums/screenshots/screenshot_20050125170132.png
Plugin Options Tab: http://www.dogtoe.com/gallery/albums/screenshots/screenshot_20050125170137.png
Torrents Downloading: http://www.dogtoe.com/gallery/albums/screenshots/screenshot_20050125170144.png

I hope you have found this tutorial useful. And I cannot guarantee anything working. The java was a big problem for me as I tried the sun-jre/jdk first -- not blackdown. I'll try to provide support as much as I can to those who want to do something similar.
Lance
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. Save me lots of time searching for torrents.
allex87
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tut. :) Really nice. Before I used to get the file manually from the RSS feed!

This also works with Sun's Java 1.5.0...

Alex.
alienvenom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allex87 wrote:
This also works with Sun's Java 1.5.0...

That just pisses me off that you got it working. I was getting all sorts of Azureus errors with Sun's JRE/JDK 1.5.0... I must have done something wrong. Everything is fine though, now that I'm using Blackdown...

Oh well. There doesn't appear to be any speed issues, so that's good.
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot. Great writeup
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will save lots of time for me thanx:)

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
------------------------------------------------
kalestic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome, thanks a bunch man!

MyWebsite: http://blaze.ath.cx
DeathAndTaxes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the homepage for this plugin?
alienvenom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my post again?
DeathAndTaxes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got links to a couple of zipfiles and some screenshots, but I was asking what the homepage for the project itself was.

As it is, you got links to versions 1.1 and 1.2p2, but I don't know if there's a more current version because I can't find the homepage...I looked at dogtoe.com, and even went into the /projects/ part, but there's no mention of the rss-feed plugin for azureus anywhere.

I *EVEN* googled around a bit and found this:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=rssfeed

and a reference to the old homepage:

http://rssfeed.zyth.net/

But that doesn't list a homepage either. I was just wanting the homepage, not the (outdated) zipfiles you got there.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this mini-howto...I followed it to the letter and got it up and running great. I understand if you don't know what the project homepage is, but telling me to read your post again is NOT a solution.
Guezz-Who
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you actually did read his post again then you would have seen that:
Quote:
Note: The plugin developer's website has been down for quite some time and it's unlikely that it'll come back (a few months it's been down).

So, looks like there isn't a project website any more.
DeathAndTaxes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto. I skimmed looking for URLs and such. :-\
alienvenom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to take on the project.

It's a nice plugin and I'd be willing to learn Java to develop it.
outspoken
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new azureus doesn't recognize those zip files as plugins. i just used the "install plugin from sourceforge" option instead and it found two types of rssfeed programs, one was the RSSFeed 1.1 found above and the other was RSS-Import v2.2 so I installed the RSSFeed 1.1 and it works great. all the options for the plugin are found on the plugin's window once you activate it by clicking on Plugins>RSSFeed.

Surprising how things can change in so little time (original post was January 25th).
deroga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately tv-swarm is no more :( More info at p2pforums: http://www.p2pforums.com/portal.php?article=10345
kalestic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some other good RSS feeds for Azureus?
I currently use
BTEfnet Feed
and
Torrentspy's Feed
any other good ones?!

MyWebsite: http://blaze.ath.cx
Sonic Lux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone has an url for german tv shows ?
For example "harald schmidt" :D
Tom.MythTV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic Lux wrote:
Anyone has an url for german tv shows ?
For example "harald schmidt" :D

I would be interested aswell. Google was not that helpfull....
outspoken
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the general rule of thumb is if you know where to go don't tell anyone else. =P

at least in my experience that is the case, but of course in the world of web and torrents they are begging people to come to their sites and putting themselves at risk for getting shutdown. there are many forums which require upload tracking, good torrent etiquette and other rules (ratio enforcement, etc). you can hit google for some places or follow links and eventually find where to go.

rss feeds i use bte as well. i'm really surprised with all the torrents the provide that they have not been shutdown like suprnova was.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: