Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HELP! emerge-ing extras during install!?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaindu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: HELP! emerge-ing extras during install!? Reply with quote

Hi, i am installing gentoo2004.3 on a x86 (pentium4), and as i have a shitty speadtouch 330 usb adsl modem (i will eventually get a real eth one) i have to setup the drivers and stuff after install - its not as simple as plugging it in and enabling kernel modules. So i had to do a networkless install.

All was going well, untill i tried to emerge the ati-drivers. emerge ran correctly untill it completed the configure script, and then it obvously passed inapropriate params to the make command, because the make help thing was displayed (make --help).

I thought, f**k it, i wont install them then,

Then all was well untill i got to the system logger, after installing the kernel: emerge metalog...
deps OK
configure OK
make - the help thing came up again!!

so i thought, f**k it, so i wont install a logger!

then i got to installing a boot loader, and the same happened, and i though, well this is getting stupid! so i ran emerge grub and half way through the configure script, i did a Ctrl + C.

Then i went to /var/tmp/portage/grub*/work/grub* and did a ./configure make make install. But it didn't look like it had installed (no /boot/grub)

so i had a go like this with the ati-drivers, metalog and lilo. And i couldn't really get anything to work - and i guess that iv pretty much stuffed my install now, but wots going on with emerge???

i installed the stage3 way coz i couldn't be bothered for it to compile - authough iv got a p4, its only 2GHz and is on a laptop so is probably only a 533mhz fsb or less! so code takes ages to compile.

i would be willing to try the entire install process again (but i can still boot back into the half-finished install i did for gentoo, as slackware10 is still alive on another partition with lilo - i swappped the bootable flag over)

i have an idea it may be to do with the portage tree being old, as it was a network less install. Please help!!!

thanks,
alain
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! emerge-ing extras during install!? Reply with quote

alaindu wrote:

All was going well, untill i tried to emerge the ati-drivers. emerge ran correctly untill it completed the configure script, and then it obvously passed inapropriate params to the make command, because the make help thing was displayed (make --help).

We'll need the exact output (and not only the last few lines - the more the better) to see what's going on. It's not normal but we can't help you out without some more information.
alaindu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well - the output goes too fast and off the screen - i dont think i know the command to page it. is it 'more' or 'less'? i dont really use any of these commands - i havn't really ever needed them much.

so does anyone know how to slow down/page though the output from an emerge command?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaindu wrote:
well - the output goes too fast and off the screen - i dont think i know the command to page it. is it 'more' or 'less'? i dont really use any of these commands - i havn't really ever needed them much.

so does anyone know how to slow down/page though the output from an emerge command?

Either

1. Turn on portage's logging feature by setting PORT_LOGDIR in make.conf, creating the directory if it does not exist, and then retry the emerge. A log of the emerge will be stored in the PORT_LOGDIR directory. OR
  2. To view only the last few lines preceding the actual error, use SHIFT + PGUP or SHIFT + PGDN to scroll up and down in the console.
alaindu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it probly dont matter now as its an old post, but i started all over again and it worked! ?

now iv got a fully working gentoo/slack dual boot setup :-) -but with no software in gentoo yet :-( lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: