New to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nargule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: New to Gentoo Reply with quote

Hey all. I am new to this forum and new to Gentoo. I have a Compaq Persario X1000 laptop that I just installed Gentoo on and I must say it kicks a$$. I am running kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 and have a simple setup running X with Openbox.

After a lot of playing around, I got my built-in wireless working (ipw2200) and my touchpad working (synaptics) with its driver so I can disable tap-to-click, use scroll, etc.

I have two main things I want to get done before I can consider myself a success and be able to get away from my Windblows XP forever. One is to get my PCMCIA slot with a media reader to work so I can read a SM card, and the other is to get Gentoo to reconize my cellphone so I can use it to access the internet when I am away from any other source of internet. Anyone got any experience with these two thing? I haven't searched yet - just came up with those off the top of my head.

One other thing that would be nice - if I could get the volume/mute buttons on my laptop to work. That would be awsome since some years ago laptop manufacturers figured out they could save $.10 per unit by eliminating a physical volume pot from the hardware.

Last edited by Nargule on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:29 am; edited 2 times in total
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: New to GenToo Reply with quote

Nargule wrote:
After a lot of playing around, I got my built-in wireless working (ipw2200) and my touchpad working (synaptics) with its driver so I can disable tap-to-click, use scroll, etc.

Welcome to the forums.

COOL! 8) Have you heard of syndaemon? It's a really useful thing with the synaptics touchpad.

I do not have any idea about the other things.

--Blackhorse
Nargule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to Gentoo Reply with quote

blackhorse wrote:
...Have you heard of syndaemon? It's a really useful thing with the synaptics touchpad.

I do not have any idea about the other things.

Yep heard of it :)

As far as the other things, I found a recent thread about the volume controls. I think I can make something work for that. I don't remember the thread title but it is easy enough to find.

Last edited by Nargule on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
pmazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a nitpick, but one that will probably get you laughed at later:

It's Gentoo, not GenToo :)
Nargule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmazer wrote:
Just a nitpick, but one that will probably get you laughed at later:

It's Gentoo, not GenToo :)

Ok, I edited my posts so now I don't look so stupid :)

BTW, I got the volume/mute buttons working. I shared my method here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2028685#2028685
Nargule
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Gentoo Reply with quote

Nargule wrote:
I have two main things I want to get done before I can consider myself a success and be able to get away from my Windblows XP forever. One is to get my PCMCIA slot with a media reader to work so I can read a SM card, and the other is to get Gentoo to reconize my cellphone so I can use it to access the internet when I am away from any other source of internet. Anyone got any experience with these two thing? I haven't searched yet - just came up with those off the top of my head.

One other thing that would be nice - if I could get the volume/mute buttons on my laptop to work. That would be awsome since some years ago laptop manufacturers figured out they could save $.10 per unit by eliminating a physical volume pot from the hardware.

I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone comes across it in a search. I have succeeded in getting all three of the above things accoplished. I am able to mount my SM card as a drive and access it (haven't got it to auto-mount yet, I haven't got to that). I got the volume buttons working as I mentioned above, but most of all, after some Googling I am able to use my Samsung SCH-a610 cellphone as a modem to access the internet (or any other modem for that matter). Now I need more goals to work on :)

Now I am going to try to access my phone's ringtones and pictures. I am going to get the PCMCIA automount thing working (so I don't have to su to root just to mount my SM card) and setup Linux to work with my printers - somehow I overlooked that in all the excitment.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Gentoo Reply with quote

Nargule wrote:
and setup Linux to work with my printers - somehow I overlooked that in all the excitment.

Printers are overrated anywayz :) well done I guess :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: