Amd64 upgrade to 2005.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiplexor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Amd64 upgrade to 2005.0 Reply with quote

I'm trying to update my gentoo amd64 install. I tried updating GCC, got an error about having to have FEATURES="-sandbox". So I did "FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge gcc" and it installed fine. Then I did "emerge portage", which complained that multilib gcc was not installed. I then added USE="multilib" to my make.conf, and reemerged GCC. I emerged portage again, only to have the same problem.

I then found the automatic script on this page for upgrading to 2005.0. When I ran the script, everything went fine until glibc. When running the configure script for glibc, there was an error about not being able to find sizeof(long double).

All in all, it appears no matter which way I go I can't upgrade. Any suggestions?
dark_glaive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until 2005.0 goes official. The upgrade guide pretty much busted my installation and the newest emul-linux-x86-baselibs package seemed to be missing things that Openoffice and a 32-bit xine needed, for me at least.
slobba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the error about not being able to find sizeof (long double). I ended up trying:
Code:
env-update && source /etc/profile
This appeared to fix the problem on my system as glibc then compiled without problems.
zinion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to fix the sizeof-error, too. But when compiling glibc, I get

Code:

eps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/include -isystem //usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED     -o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/signal/sigprocmask.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/signal/sigprocmask.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/signal/sigprocmask.os
In file included from ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/sigaction.c:53,
                 from ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/sigaction.c:53,
                 from ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/sigaction.c:29:
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sigaction.c: In function `__libc_sigaction':
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sigaction.c:137: error: `__NR_sigaction' undeclared (first use in this function)
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sigaction.c:137: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/sigaction.c:137: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/signal/sigaction.os] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigprocmask.c: In function `__sigprocmask':
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigprocmask.c:79: error: `__NR_sigprocmask' undeclared (first use in this function)
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigprocmask.c:79: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sigprocmask.c:79: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/build/signal/sigprocmask.os] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/glibc-2.3.3/signal'
make[1]: *** [signal/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/work/glibc-2.3.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 690, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I don't know how to get around this.
mlavalle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: emul-linux libraries Reply with quote

Do we still need the emul-linux libraries with 2005.0? The upgrade walkthrough told me they would no longer be needed, but I still have applications asking to emerge them, as required dependancies. Will it break anything if I add them back in?
Multiplexor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do env-update && source /etc/profile, but I still have the same problem. I found the error in config.log finally:

Quote:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o conftest -O2 -pipe -freorder-blocks -finline-limit=2000 -O2 conftest.c >&5
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/./libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc

For some reason, it's trying to use the 3.3.4 libgcc when the version on my system is 3.4.3. I am wary of trying to emerge gcc-3.3.4 again as all ebuilds have been masked by profile for me.[/quote]
zinion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need emul-linux-x86-glibc anymore - the others I don't know.

I switched succesfully now too and emerged glibc succesfully. I did:

I reverted back to 2004.3 and then switched by hand instead of using the script. The script seems to be buggy or something...

Will do a world-update to complete the switch tomorrow, need my computer today hehe :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: