New kernel versioning scheme
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsteven
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: New kernel versioning scheme Reply with quote

Since the kernel developers have changed the kernel versioning scheme, I wonder how this will be handled by the Gentoo developers. Now that 2.6.11.2 is released, will it be included into portage?

Besides, what do you think about this new scheme? I'm afraid that the new 2.6.x kernels won't gain enough testing before they will be released for the public and it would be unclear if a kernel is stable or not.
kimczuba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your concern, it would have been better if 2.6.uneven meant new feature(s) version, and 2.6.even meant bugfix release as proposed by Torvalds. But we will have to wait and see whether the new scheme works in practice....

- Yoda speaking to Anakin at the Jedi Council (SW - The Phantom Menace)
Zb7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New kernel versioning scheme Reply with quote

mrsteven wrote:

Besides, what do you think about this new scheme? I'm afraid that the new 2.6.x kernels won't gain enough testing before they will be released for the public and it would be unclear if a kernel is stable or not.

To me, Linus seemed very clear in his statement that this new tree would not affect the stability of the "main" tree.

Linus Torvalds wrote:

And realize that the 2.6.x tree doesn't "change" any way. It doesn't get
more unruly just because we have a side tree that is being anal about
things. It's still as stable as it ever is..

Linus
mrsteven
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's more like the 2.6.8.1 release? Then the 2.6.x.y releases are just small bugfixes that wipe out some minor bugs. That will be great, but only if these bugfixes also go into the 2.6.x series. That would improve stability and kill some bugs. But if these fixes must go into the 2.6.x releases, otherwise we'll have several throw-away kernel versions...

I hope the new model works and I think the developers are smart enough to change it if it doesn't work.
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand they don't want to inflate versions, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

After all these years, we still are at version 2, wtf??? as in there is not much difference between 2.0.x and 2.6.x, they are all in the same league.

So now, it is 4 numbers, release candidate and the tree (if we are not talking about mainline). so expect things like
vanilla-sources-2.6.11.2-r1

The problem I see with this is that it is starting to get tough to remember what version you are running in which machine.

Kudos to KDE, they keep it very simple, their version is A.B.C where A changes if binary compatibility changes. B changes if there are new features and C changes if it is just bug fixes.

Kudos to Gentoo. They also keep it simple: A.B where A is the year and B is the release # of that year. This is great because it gives you an idea of when it was released and is very easy to remember.

I understand the need of the kernel of releasing versions very frequently and releasing development versions. But as it stands right now the first number is pretty much totally unneeded, they are ALL version 2 (I know there was version 1, but that was a long time ago).
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the kernel versioning is better than what goes on around java. You have version 2 of the whole fricken language/platform (J2EE), the version number of the jdk/jre (1.4.02), and now to make things even clearer, Sun has decided that the '1' in the jdk/jre version is no longer needed and now calls jdk-1.5 "Java 5". 8O
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castorilo wrote:
I understand they don't want to inflate versions, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

After all these years, we still are at version 2, wtf??? as in there is not much difference between 2.0.x and 2.6.x, they are all in the same league.

Have you used any versions prior to 2.6 and possibly 2.4? Trust me they are not in the same league.

Quote:

Kudos to Gentoo. They also keep it simple: A.B where A is the year and B is the release # of that year. This is great because it gives you an idea of when it was released and is very easy to remember.

Kernel development is far too rapid for this to work. We'd be using like 2005.20 by now.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.B.C.D

A: complete rewrite/break backward compat
B: major feature change
C: periodic release incremental
D: dinky bug fixes

it's the same way gentoo has released kernels (eg. 2.6.10-r7), just now the kernel guys are the ones doing the -r bumps.

i'm just wondering how they're going to build up enough momentum to break off of 2.6. and when they do, is that 2.7 or 2.8?

*awaiting kernel 2.6.12.0_rc4-r1
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:

i'm just wondering how they're going to build up enough momentum to break off of 2.6. and when they do, is that 2.7 or 2.8?

My understanding of it is when they do decide to break away from 2.6 it will be 2.7 until they deem it stable. They will then release kernel 2.8
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
castorilo wrote:

Have you used any versions prior to 2.6 and possibly 2.4? Trust me they are not in the same league.

That was exactly my point. Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.

Yes I have used linux for years, and my point is 2.0.x and 2.6.x are not in the same league. Thus calling them 2.x as if they were is at least misleading IMHO.

/dev/random wrote:

Quote:

Kernel development is far too rapid for this to work. We'd be using like 2005.20 by now.

I agree. Gentoo's scheme wouldn't work for kernel, nor am I suggesting that. My point is: KISS.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. What do you mean by KISS?
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
dirtyepic wrote:

My understanding of it is when they do decide to break away from 2.6 it will be 2.7 until they deem it stable. They will then release kernel 2.8

Wasn't that supposed to change now? There would no longer be any meaning to the odd/even numbering scheme?
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
My mistake. What do you mean by KISS?

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid

:D
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

that stuff was scarry back in the day. I still consider 2.4 scarry but before was scarry....

about the new naming scheme why change it. I dont get it. one word describes everything i feel

meh

thats all I can really say
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading as much of the thread on LKML as I get time for, as I understand it, they are effectivly *not* changing anything.

That is the beauty. The number/release scheme is exactly the same as before as far as Linus is concerned.

What they have done is add a group of people who release a "stable" series of kernels.

This series gets only fixes (and it really is only fixes, there are lots of rules about that).

This is so that distributers can (if they choose) pick a x.y.z.n release to go with. They know it is reasonably stable.

If you don't care about having a stable kernel, nothing has changed.

If you do, you have a chance now of getting it.

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, it should be like this: development tree 3.x.x and stable tree 2.x.x, and when 3.x.x becomes stable it should jump to 4.x.x.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favor for the Gentoo versioning scheme: we would have 2005.2 now and perhaps 2005.10 at the end of the year
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: