Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Gentoo over existing distros?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo over existing distros? Reply with quote

Can one simply install Gentoo over a working stand alone Mandrake 9.0 install (lilo bootloader, hda and hdb drives), with /,boot,usr,home, and swap partions (reiserfs), and simply not format /home, thus preserving it? If so, can somebody please explain what the correct procedure would be at step 6?

In other words, I want to use all the pre-formatted partitions on my Mandrake installation as is- no resizing, same reiserfs, and preserve all data on home, completely replacing the Mandrake distro with Gentoo on all other partitions. Do I need a step-by-step walk through from an expert, or will there be a self-explantory option to "use existing partitions" in the Gentoo install, whatever livecd or tarball I use? Are there any tricks or pitfalls I might encounter? I have installed Mandrake many times in expert mode, and am quite familiar with partitioning drives.

Thanks,
wrc1944
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here :wink:
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you remove the existing stuff in /usr, /bin, /sbin, and so on except for /home, you can un-tar a given stage image over it, and it should work fine. All you'd want to preserve is the /home (and maybe /root if you keep stuff in there). Just make sure when you get around to doing /etc/fstab, that you set it correctly for your partitions and so on, and when the install guide tells you to mount your partitions, that you also do that according to your setup.

If you have /home on a separate partition, it may be faster just to re-format the other ones, than deleting the files.

Good luck!
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyD,
I had read that Alternative install page before, but it didn't seem to apply to my specific question. I don't want to install FROM an existing distro, or resize anything. I want to know if I can just install OVER the existing distro, replacing everything except home by reformatting the other partitions, and then proceeding from that step. Essentially, I wouldn't be creating or resizing anything- since all the partitions would already be allocated- but I'm not sure the Gentoo install supports doing this.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
reformatting the other partitions
If you're willing to boot from somewhere other than your HD, and actually run mkfs on the partitions you want to overwrite, it should be fairly straightforward.

If you want to install over a running distro, it's more complicated, but still possible. See How to install Gentoo remotely over a Red Hat install.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944:

I did it. I have /home on it's own part, so i just reformatted the others (/, /boot that i had in slackware) and followed the install guide. worked fine.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac & xamm,

If I can get access to a cable connection at another location to download and burn the .iso, I would be installing from a complete live cd (600+MB) on my 2nd testing linux box. Otherwise. I would try the basic live cd (40MB), and a tarball, which my 56k can handle on my other dual boot win98SE/linux box.

xamm seems to be advising I'll have no problems.

rac- am I correct to understand I'll need to do mkfs on each partition manually at step 6, and also reformat, and that the Gentoo install won't necessarily detect my reiserfs and partitions automatically?

Thanks for the info,
wrc1944
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo wont autodetect filesystems during install. you have to tell it what type of filesystem, specifying it in fstab.

the best thing to do would be to reformat each partition(except /home of course) and when you reformat, youll have the opportunity to choose which type of filesystem you use.

skip the fdisk part; you shouldnt have to mess with the partition table, since its already established, just format wth the desired filesystems, and follow the install guide as usual

also the livecd is only about 150 MB ( i used 1.4rc1)
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

This was the info I was looking for- I was pretty sure I could get away with using the old partitions. I now feel pretty confident I can do this OK. I plan on using lilo, as, it's already there, and I'm used to it, so will I have any problems, or will things fall into place OK from the old Mandrake install?

BTW, I just looked and all the live cd files on the mirrors are about 524MB, so my 56k could never handle that at one connection. I know ftp "resume" is probably OK, but I just never trusted it for things like operating systems. I already burned the basic live cd-rc2 .iso image, so now I'll try to get stage 3 tarball, and see if I can get started. Will also print out the new install doc, of course.

wrc1944
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: