View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlymango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: How long to emerge KDE and Gnome? Reply with quote

I have heard it is several hours, but I'm not sure weather I should emerge KDE, Gnome, or Fluxbox.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of time: KDE > GNOME > Fluxbox. Obviously it depends on your CPU, load, phase of the moon, et cetera, but Fluxbox shouldn't take more than a few hours. KDE OTOH can take days.
astaines
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: KDe and Gnome - about 48 hours on a Comapq EVO N400c Reply with quote

Took about 48 hours to do both - gnome wasn't too bad, but kde is very slow - however this is an old laptop, almost 3 years old now. YMMV.
Anthony
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on people.

Let me answer this question with another question. How long would it take to run a mile? If I asked you that, what would be your first thought? Who is the runner maybe?

Someone did it in 3:49.78 min. Other people might take an hour...

See the problem with your question?

Now lets rephrase it:

"How long does it take to emerge KDE, GNOME, or Fluxbox. I have a P4 550."

Now that would be a question that could be answered with somewhat of a usable estimate.

KDE takes the longest which is quite closely followed by GNOME and Fluxbox only takes a fraction of the time.
manlymango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
Oh come on people.

Let me answer this question with another question. How long would it take to run a mile? If I asked you that, what would be your first thought? Who is the runner maybe?

Someone did it in 3:49.78 min. Other people might take an hour...

See the problem with your question?

Now lets rephrase it:

"How long does it take to emerge KDE, GNOME, or Fluxbox. I have a P4 550."

Now that would be a question that could be answered with somewhat of a usable estimate.

KDE takes the longest which is quite closely followed by GNOME and Fluxbox only takes a fraction of the time.

P4 2.6Ghz HT
1 Gig RAM
MaxPolun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to take a long time. If you're doing both at least one day, maybe more (though your cpu seems to be pretty fast). If you start gnome in the morning it should be done sometime in the afternoon, then let kde emerge overnight.

The Real OTW: time to do some good
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 months ago I tested this on a vanilla system right after an install. I did KDE first, then cleaned the drive and did gnome. This was on an amd64 2.2Ghz running in 32b mode. The drive was a raptor.

KDE - 3 hours 44 minutes

Gnome - 4 hours 05 minutes

This is for the basic install with the same USE flags in each. I used a -gtk -gnome for KDE and -kde for gnome. I did not compile kdeedu though as there is no equivalent in gnome, with that they probably would have been almost exactly the same. In terms of functionality over compile time, KDE include a lot more software, otherwise known as bloat by gnomers. In the future (even now) KDE apps are getting separated out into their own ebuilds so associating KDE with bloat wont really be accurate. Although I am sure people will keep spreading FUD ;)

I honestly don't know where and how it got started that KDE takes longer. With the right combination of USE flags I am sure it can though. THere are a hell of a lot of options you can enable for KDE. The times are close enough that I would consider them "the same".

Fluxbox will obviously take less time, but factor in a web browser, email client and chat client and it gets in the 3 hour range.

Hope this helps.
manlymango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help
manlymango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackDog wrote:
4 months ago I tested this on a vanilla system right after an install. I did KDE first, then cleaned the drive and did gnome. This was on an amd64 2.2Ghz running in 32b mode. The drive was a raptor.

KDE - 3 hours 44 minutes

Gnome - 4 hours 05 minutes

This is for the basic install with the same USE flags in each. I used a -gtk -gnome for KDE and -kde for gnome. I did not compile kdeedu though as there is no equivalent in gnome, with that they probably would have been almost exactly the same. In terms of functionality over compile time, KDE include a lot more software, otherwise known as bloat by gnomers. In the future (even now) KDE apps are getting separated out into their own ebuilds so associating KDE with bloat wont really be accurate. Although I am sure people will keep spreading FUD ;)

I honestly don't know where and how it got started that KDE takes longer. With the right combination of USE flags I am sure it can though. THere are a hell of a lot of options you can enable for KDE. The times are close enough that I would consider them "the same".

Fluxbox will obviously take less time, but factor in a web browser, email client and chat client and it gets in the 3 hour range.

Hope this helps.

How do I use different USE flags for each one? I'm just starting to learn this, so I don't know how to do everything yet. Thanks.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bes way to cut time when emerging kde is to pick only the packages you want and not just "emerge kde".

I did all kde packages in 16 hours (don't know exacly when it stopped) with a 750mhz 256 SDRAM.
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to override what is in make.conf, you can specify USE flags on the command line. Keep in mind emerge will still inherit what is in make.conf.

Code:

USE="-gtk -gtk2 -gnome" emerge kde

If you are just starting out with linux, I would skip fluxbox for now. In my experience, new users have more luck with KDE over Gnome however both are very good "Desktop Environments". Fluxbox is just a window manager and takes more configuration from the command line that KDE or gnome do. Ideally you should emerge all three and choose which one works best for you. There are some KDE apps that have gnome support and vice versa, as well as third party apps that share functionality.

If it were me... I would emerge hal udev and dbus and get those working. There is a guide if you search the forums. Then...
Code:

USE="kde gtk2 gnome hal" emerge kde gnome fluxbox

regardless you will still want k3b for burning CDs (KDE app). nautilus in gnome does ok with burning, just not as many features.
manlymango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would fluxbox require that I emerge all the apps seperately?
graphic23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manlymango wrote:

Nope. Fluxbox is one Window Manager. If you're talking apps as in Firefox/Gaim/etc. then yes, you need to emerge those. But to run fluxbox, all you need to do is: emerge fluxbox
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack dog:

That post above about emerge timings is really interesting. I have never seen or even heard of gnome taking longer than KDE before (doesn't prove a lot mind). Could you post the USE flags you used (I know you indicate the -gnome and -kde) but am very interested in the rest.

TIA :D

On a side note, if you want specific USE flags for a programme you can also add them to your package.use file in /etc/portage.

such as:
Code:
sys-libs/glibc userlocales

This way, if you need to reinstall or upgrade it uses the same flags each time. Good thing for me as well is that you also don't have to remember what you did last time.

HTH
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manlymango wrote:

fluxbox is a window manager, thus by definition, it will contain just enough to manage windows. "Desktop Environments" typically include a web browser, email client, IM client, system configuration tools and burning software (among other things). Fluxbox is great for low end computers however if you want an equivalent platform to windows or OSX then use KDE of Gnome.

Fluxbox is a great WM. unfortunately though a lot of newbie linux users are pushed to use it over KDE or Gnome on these and other forums. Many of them switch back to Windows because of the lack of tools and degree of difficulty. Get a stable box running KDE or Gnome running so that you at least have a workable environment, then emerge fluxbox and try it out.
manlymango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I install KDE, how will I tell Gentoo to open that on boot instead of booting to the console? Will it do this automatically or is a command required? On a side note, are there any good books I can learn more about Gentoo and Linux in general?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont really know and dont really care. IF there is a GNOME update I mask it out and update the rest, then before going to bed unmask and emerge

next day in the morning a quick check what config need updating. Then off to work. Then play when I get home
effloresce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE HOWTO. That will answer your questions of getting kde to load at boot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: