Swap not being utilized?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodathmorr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Swap not being utilized? Reply with quote

Quick question. I run torsmo and under torsmo I have a meter for my swap space. I dunno whether its a problem with torsmo or linux, but I've never seen my swap space ever get used. Is this because torsmo has a problem monitoring swap or is there a bigger problem here? I would like my system to use its swap space since I created it for a reason. How can I fix this?
angoraspruce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap not being utilized? Reply with quote

jodathmorr wrote:
I would like my system to use its swap space since I created it for a reason. How can I fix this?

If I understand it right, a system won't use swap unless it has to because it's not efficient as using memory.
Code:
]$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           503        496          7          0        207         66
-/+ buffers/cache:        221        282
Swap:         2047         19       2028

If you have decent memory as mine (decent, not great), then there's not much use for swapping things out. If fact, if you want, you could do away with swap altogether...assuming you had decent or better memeory. (Now you might have to tweak your kernel slightly, but of that I'm not sure. I just know that for whatever reason, configuring a swapless system is not unheard of.)

Best regards :)
jodathmorr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do have 1gb of RAM... I guess thats the reason. I always though swap acted as a second kind of RAM which helped things compile quicker. Oh well..
cram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1GB RAM as well, and generally only see swap start to get used after at least several days of uptime and a fair number of programs running.
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jodathmorr wrote:
Well I do have 1gb of RAM... I guess thats the reason. I always though swap acted as a second kind of RAM which helped things compile quicker. Oh well..

Swap space is on your HD, which is *significantly* slower than RAM. You want as much stuff as possible to be going on in your RAM. For huge compiles when a lot of data needs to be stored at a time, sometimes the RAM you have isn't enough, and the system must resort to using swap space. You have a lot of ram, so you'll probably only see this when you're doing rather intensive things (ie. compiling two large things at once while having a bunch of programs open etc).

Read up on swapiness as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: