Best Cheap Mobo/CPU for Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosshoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Best Cheap Mobo/CPU for Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hello,
I have been working with Gentoo for about six months on and off. I have tried all kinds of distros (as evinced by my vast collection of once-used cd-r's) and I can't find any that compare with Gentoo. The emerge system alone is a godsend, compared to rpms and source-dependency scouring.
At any rate, I am looking to upgrade my secondary system. It always seems that I pick the least-compatible motherboard for the O/S I want to run, so now, since I am in no rush, I would like to find the best motherboard for the money I am willing to spend. Since this is a secondary system, I wouldn't like to go above $50 for the motherboard and $50 for the processor. I am going to be using the system for a backup computer (nice to have one when you need to look up documentation during an install :wink:), and at most a small-load server.
Though I am primarily an AMD fan, I would be willing to switch to Intel if a product fit these constraints. So, if you have any ideas, or any sites that offer such comparisons, I await your replies with anticipation. Thanks for your time.

P.S.: I already have 512 MB of PC2100 memory from a computer I fried a few weeks ago, in case anyone is going to suggest a mobo with other memory requirements.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, the motherboard manufacturer's level of Linux support is very important to me. I've been burned by ASUS in this respect before, and I wouldn't like to repeat such circumstances.
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my recommendation would be an nForce2 with the DDR400 support with the onboard soundstorm sound system and the fastest Athlon XP you can find.

not sure about the new Semprons compared to an athlon xp.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming you want to stick with the ram then its most likely any board that old will be fine for linux compatabilty, just make sure you get one that supports athlon xp processors as there a bit hard to come buy.

if you can sell the ram on{1} then i would and get a nforce board as ddr ram is a lot more compatibile for future upgrades

{1} not as hard as you might think, apparently crucial make more money on old ram than the high end stuff
bosshoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if there was confusion...the RAM I have is DDR, it's PC2100.

I'll have to look into those NForce boards. Thanks for the input.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosshoff wrote:
Sorry if there was confusion...the RAM I have is DDR, it's PC2100.

I'll have to look into those NForce boards. Thanks for the input.

my bad i read it as pc100 not pc2100, in that case get one that supports the fastest core xp chips that way you can toss a 3100+ in for £30 by the end of the year. i should have said that unless you have rather wacky hardware linux tends to suport it {1} i mentioned nforce because i heard they had some extra features, realisticly even the £15 specials you get online should be fine.

most motherboards are made of a few brands of chipset anyway and the differences tend to be quality of components, manuals and what country their slave labor is located. the old socket A boards are so cheap they are pretty much a disposable item, hell if it wasnt for the lack of any pci-express 754 board i would toss mine to get it and fan control and ive only had my board 3 months but thats because i need a new graphics card.

{1} hell they put the damn kernel on an ipod
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: