anothier noobie install ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: anothier noobie install ? Reply with quote

hey i am trying to do my first install was trying to do a stage 3 just to get it up and running to see what is like my parts

hda1 linux 10g
hda2 swap 10g
hda3 linux 20g

im doing it the way is says in the hand book .....but when i get all to to tar the file of the cd it sarts but towards the ends it says error no space left ive tryed with x86 and the i686

can some one help out on this?
SZwarts
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be a little more specific. Can you tell at which step at the handbook you are when this error message occures. And which command you're actually issueing?

Did you empty your partitions before start?

And maybe it is interesting to do a du -k in your root dir, so you can see if and where all the data on your partitions are.

(O and 10G is a ridicules large amount of swap if you ask me :))
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i am at the part of getinng the stage 3 off the cd witch is chapter 5 well i keep uping it because i was thinking that was my prom what is enough for a boot and a swap? and plz be gentle its my first time :wink:
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your partition scheme is a bit wacky.

I'd say use about 50M for /boot, double your RAM for swap (so it will probably be 1 gig or so), and the rest for /.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a ten gig boot partition is ridiculously roomy. I've got a grub, a couple of kernels, and a lot of grub bootsplashes stored on my boot partiton, and it only takes up a grand total of 4 megabytes. As far as uncommpressing the stage tarball onto your drive, are you sure your not doing something weird like trying to untar it onto your ramdisk, instead of onto /mnt/gentoo (what will become your / partition). Perhaps you could give us a list of the commands you used in your install, up to and including untarring the stage 3 tarball.
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guy's forget all that ^^^^^^^^^^

i re did it all and got my parts right ...decided to go with the stage 1 install and know i am up to chapter 6-6A page 3/5

and just enter the comand ..less /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc

and now i am lost dont really understand this part ????

Thank you
Tim
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well less /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc will print a description of all the available use flags for portage. Basically you have to figure out how you want your system set up, what hardware you have, and so on, then set the use flags to reflect that. For instance, I have a DVD/CD-RW combo drive, I use fluxbox and occasionally XFCE, as well as the linux 2.6 headers (NPTL), here is my use variable as set it my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
USE="gtk -gnome -qt -kde alsa dvd cdr -arts nptl"

You can always change your use flags and re-emerge programs, or provide special use flags for individual packages in /etc/portage/package.use. Basically the USE variable in /etc/make.conf should be used to set global use flags which you will want all programs to be emerged with. It is also important to note that USE flags are only for optional support, so, within reason, you shouldn't need to worry to much about trash your system by selecting the "wrong" use flags (unlike CFLAGS).
SZwarts
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstillery wrote:

and now i am lost dont really understand this part ????

What I ussually do is just let the USE flags initially empty... Then the first couple of times I emerge something I do a emerge -pv <package> first. This prints all the use flags which are used in process, then I decide for each of the use flags if I want them (globally or just for that package)
Using this strategy you're not confrontated with all the use flags at once, and spares you the effort of looking into the ones you're not using anyway

Sith_Happens:
Most modern computers are capable of 3dnow, mmx, sse and/or stuff like that.. It's really a shame if you don't have that in your useflags IMHO, for example xorg uses them, and the wonderfull mplayer suite :)
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your right, I've got a P4 that supports SSE, I forgot to add it to my useflags. I just Bob P's Stage 1 on Stage 3 NPTL install, which I recommend to everyone (except n00bs, cause it is a little complicated). Thanks SZwarts.
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now i seem to be stuck in the middle of the page i can go up or down but not all the way up and i dont have the highlight anymore and what am i spoused to do in there and in nano ???? yhe chapter does not give a good explan it also drops into glibc and user locals right now i am so lost
and my head is hurting from banging it on the key board kind wish it was wrigting lamenterms.... :? god i would hate this distro to crash or start messing up cuz i emerge somthing wrong .....etc

Thank you
Tim
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstillery wrote:
ok now i seem to be stuck in the middle of the page i can go up or down but not all the way up and i dont have the highlight anymore and what am i spoused to do in there and in nano ???? yhe chapter does not give a good explan it also drops into glibc and user locals right now i am so lost
and my head is hurting from banging it on the key board kind wish it was wrigting lamenterms.... :? god i would hate this distro to crash or start messing up cuz i emerge somthing wrong .....etc

I'm not exactuly sure what your question is. What I would suggest is to start over and do a stage 3 install. You sound very new to this, and a stage 3 is relatively simple to do. All you pretty much need to do is type in the commands as they appear in the book and you will have a working linux system.
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i agree with that very VERY much and i have tryed that but i can not tell when stage 3 picks up and lets off ...i get all the way to the snapshot off the cd and the book loses me i have looked for just an stage 3 doc but could not find one

Thank you
Tim
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstillery wrote:
ok i agree with that very VERY much and i have tryed that but i can not tell when stage 3 picks up and lets off ...i get all the way to the snapshot off the cd and the book loses me i have looked for just an stage 3 doc but could not find one

The stage 3 tarball should deffinitly be on the cd. Alternativly you can download it off the internet. The commands to run are in the handbook.
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats is true im having a hard time following the book between the 3 stages!!!! thats where i could use just a stage 3 hand book because the hand book seems to jump around to me is there a doc on just doing a stage 3 install?

Thank you tim
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstillery wrote:
thats is true im having a hard time following the book between the 3 stages!!!! thats where i could use just a stage 3 hand book because the hand book seems to jump around to me is there a doc on just doing a stage 3 install?

No I don't think there is. In the "5. Installing the Gentoo Installation Files" chapter it explains how to install a stage off the cd or off the internet. Just make sure you install a stage 3 image.

In chapter 6 in the "6.b. Differences between Stage1, Stage2 and Stage3" section is says:

Quote:
If you chose stage3 then you can skip both steps and continue with Configuring the Kernel

So once you get to that part skip the stage 1 and stage 2 parts, and go right onto chapter 7.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny progressing from stage 1 to 2 to three is really very simple:
Code:
#Stage 1, untar the stage 1 tarball:
cd /usr/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh
#Stage 2
emerge system
#Then move on to Stage 3 and configure your kernel

The real difficulty in a stage 1 install is setting your CFLAGS and such, as well as perhaps some problems you will encounter when bootstrapping and emerging your system. With a stage 3 install you are still going to have to set USE flags (well you don't really have to, they are just useful), as well as configure your kernel, or use genkernel to do it. Otherwise, at least as far as I remember, the installation procedures really overlap. I would say that the real advantage of doing a stage 3 install over a stage 1 is not less difficulty so much as it is less time (as you don't have to compile at all with a stage three if you use GRP's).
tstillery
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i am going to do the stage 3 i know o can dl the stage 3 tar and if i dl the portage will it make a diff ? or will it be the same as off the cd ?

plz stay close since i will be back soon ...so after the portage install i should do the kenerl?

Thanks Tim
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The portage snapshot on the cd is probably the same as the snapshot your going to find on the Gentoo Mirrors. The portage snapshot is really more for providing a structure and directories and such, thats why they don't update the snapshot that often. Before you emerge anything you run emerge --sync to update your portage tree, so an up to date portage snapshot is not really neccessary in most cases. Also yes, follow the stage 3 install guidelines. Skip bootstrapping, and emerging the system, and go right on to emerging kernel sources, then configuring and installing the kernel image and System.map.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: