ALSA Probs.... A WeirD oNe.....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blursmurf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: ALSA Probs.... A WeirD oNe..... Reply with quote

hi guys.... first post here.....first time using linux and chose to use gentoo ^_^..... well..... installation was easy....but this prob is giving me headache....

okz... i followed the guide on how 2 compile the ALSA drivers..... all went well until its time 2 start it up =(.....

i added alsasound to run at boot and started the script manually.... "/etc/init.d/alsasound start"

then there is a list of errors

*error*
bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/alsasound start
* Initialising ALSA....
* Starting sound driver: snd-emu10k1 /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: insmod snd-emu10k1 failed [ ok ]
*end*

den i was lyke woah... wad happened.... tried to run amixer but got another error
*error*
bash-2.05b# amixer
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
*end*

i tried insmoding the snd-mixer-oss and snd-pcm-oss but there is more probs....
*error*
bash-2.05b# insmod snd-mixer-oss
Using /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_verbose_printk_Rsmp_49d4e4d1
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_ctl_find_id_Rsmp_ca688afd
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_mixer_oss_notify_callback_Rsmp_3dcf5363
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_iprintf_Rsmp_2f0b152f
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_register_Rsmp_b6174bfb
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_kcalloc_Rsmp_4da9e78a
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_get_line_Rsmp_0a6fd27b
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_free_entry_Rsmp_ff6dc518
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_cards_Rsmp_f8e425c7
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_create_card_entry_Rsmp_0ba01bfe
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_ctl_notify_Rsmp_b34623ec
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_get_str_Rsmp_b213fe8b
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_register_oss_device_Rsmp_80eddad5
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_unregister_oss_device_Rsmp_bbcc0370
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_oss_info_register_Rsmp_8df3789f
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_info_unregister_Rsmp_aaf91bca
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o: unresolved symbol snd_kmalloc_strdup_Rsmp_5dd3bf69
*end*

but i ran modprobe and the 2 modules are loaded.....

restarted my computer..... got the same problem when loading snd-emu10k1.... loaded gnome....opened up xmms.... load some mp3s and hope for the best....

2 my suprise.... THERE IS SOUND!!!!! quality is good.... (other than the fact that there is only 2 speakers instead of 4)

anywayz.... even after i loaded the 2 modules.... i am unable to start amixer.....

p.s. i recompiled my kernel(vanilla-flavoured), and i only chose sound support as a module.....

hope to hear from you guys soon.....

hoshi******
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using modprobe to insert your modules instead of insmod.
Code:
# modprobe snd-emu10k1

Modprobe automatically handles dependancies and the like. That should fix your errors.
blursmurf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried using modprobe 2 load snd-emu10k.... no use....
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: emu10k1 Reply with quote

why are you using snd-emu10k1, i use just modprobe emu10k1 on my gentoo-sources kernel and it works like a charm, i don't really know if there's any difference.
blursmurf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.... the weird thing is that there IS sound.... even when alsa driver isn't loaded properly.... farnie ehzz....... well.... the sound quality is good 2..... (at least better then the driver provided by my redhat....)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snd-emu101k is the ALSA driver, emu101k the OSS/Free kernel drive.
blursmurf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so wadz seems to be the problem???????
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: seen this Reply with quote

i think i had the same problem with my previous mandrake install, i had sound (good sound) but kmix showed up some tri???? sound board, i never gave it much work so i don't know how to fix it

PS: i have a sblive, do I want ALSA???
illvzn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have the same exact error and sound card as the original poster but I don't have such luck to where sound works when I open xmms, and suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated!
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge alsa-xmms, then you won't need /dev/dsp for xmms. Won't fix your problem, just helps to play your musics.

illvzn wrote:
I currently have the same exact error and sound card as the original poster but I don't have such luck to where sound works when I open xmms, and suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated!

vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blursmurf wrote:
i added alsasound to run at boot and started the script manually.... "/etc/init.d/alsasound start"

u already set the script to run at boot, you dont need to run it manually, try not to add it under boot runlevel use default instead, rc-update add alsasound default and to use mixer, modprobe snd-mixer-oss
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the Swiss hold the America's cup, France accusing the US of arrogance and Germany doesn't want to go to war."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: