Alsa-driver and udev permissions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Alsa-driver and udev permissions Reply with quote

I've just installed alsa using th Gentoo alsa guide found at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

I have a sb audigy card, and added the emu10k1 to my make.conf file as described.
I also recompiled the kernel with "sound card support" and everything else turned off including alsa and oss.
After this i emerged alsa-driver and everything went smooth. I followed the guide to the end and rebooted the computer and the sound card module loads just fine - no probs... But no sound!

I'm certain this is a permission issue, since i am able to use sound in kde when logged on as root, but of course that is not what i want.

Also, i tried changing perms(chmod a+rw and chmod a+x) and owns(chown root:audio) on all dsp, sound, mixer, sequencer under /dev and /dev/sound (i use udev)

But still no sound! So, i am very frustrated here. How come i have no sound when my user is a member of the audio group and all permissions are set up correctly(as far as i know)? Is this an udev issue?
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Ok, now something seem to have gone totally wrong. Now i have no sound as root either.

Ok, moving back to the kernel alsa driver instead - this is too frustrating.

If anyone has any comments to the above mentioned guide, something that's missing when i'm using udev perhaps, or some other things i need to enable in the kernel, i'd be glad to hear from you :) thx
Allochtoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try version 052
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to thread dig, but I have this same problem. No sound at all, even as root. using alsa (alsa-drivers) and udev (tried 45 and 52)

I cannot seem to get it to work. Modules are autoloaded on start, I have the sound entries in /dev, alsamixer says all channels are unmuted, and around 50. Quake 3 Seems to think the system is muted. XMMS, and mpg123 dont work.

This is especially frusturating since sound had been working before i started messing with it and trying to enable sound in quake3.
tragor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-338832-highlight-udev+permission+dsp.html

Maybe that helps you too!?

Have a nice day!
tragor
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: