Survey (Opteron temps)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irktruskan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Survey (Opteron temps) Reply with quote

I'm running a dual Opteron 240 setup; I'm not sure which details matter.

To the point, the processors are running in the mid 60s (C). Graphing the output from sensors does show some increase under load (and decrease afterward), but only of a few degrees. While within the specs handed down from AMD, this still strikes me as a bit warm.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an opteron, but I'm just curious, what kind of cooling setup have you put on there? If you went really hardcore about all of it and it's still running in the 60 C range, you might want to check that you got the thermal grease on there properly, and that the cables in the case are not getting in the way of the airflow.

Oh one other random question for you. Is the system (rather the fans and all) somewhat loud? I'm debating whether or not I should drop the money on getting and dual processor setup for myself, but noise is one of my sticking points.

Regards,

Petyr Rahl
irktruskan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petyr wrote:
I don't have an opteron, but I'm just curious, what kind of cooling setup have you put on there? If you went really hardcore about all of it and it's still running in the 60 C range, you might want to check that you got the thermal grease on there properly, and that the cables in the case are not getting in the way of the airflow.

Oh one other random question for you. Is the system (rather the fans and all) somewhat loud? I'm debating whether or not I should drop the money on getting and dual processor setup for myself, but noise is one of my sticking points.

There's nothing out of the ordinary about the case's air flow. Regardless, they were this way before I mounted the system in the case. Nothing above-and-beyond about the cooling; stock AMD heatsinks and fans. This concern is purely my instinct; that anything over 40 is really warm. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

As for the noise: it's loud, but yours does not have to be. By themselves, the AMD fans are actually pretty quiet. It's loud because there are 9 hard drives and a 500W power supply contained within, along with extra case fans to keep air moving.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i find odd that they reach such temps. I have a socket 939 3500+ wich i think is probably the closest cpu (after the FX series of course) to the opteron and it runs very cool. The highest temperature i got was after i finished installing gentoo from stage1 on a very hot day (+ 35º Celsius) and the BIOS showed the cpu beeing at 45 degrees and the system at 38.
I don't have any uber cooling system, my box has 4 fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust), i have 4 HD's (including 2 10k rpm ones) 2 CD readers a GeForce4 gfx and a 460W PSU. So i think that those values are a bit too high.
--> Linux ### 2.6.11-ck2 #1 Sat Mar 12 20:21:30 WET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux <--
joaander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dual opteron 246 machine is currently running at 43C and 47C (CPU0 and CPU1). Room temperature is 25C. System case temp is 34C.

I see temperatures increase 3-5C when i run 30min number crunching programs.

60C seems high, but what is your case/room temp? To a good approximation, Tcpu - Tcase = a constant (~13C in my case). This constant determines the effectiveness of the heatsink.

I I found the stock AMD fans (70mm) on my system ran at ~6000rpm and sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I switched to the Swifttech 64V heatsinks with quite 80mm fans, and now my system is practically inaudible until the CDROM drive spins up.
irktruskan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joaander wrote:
My dual opteron 246 machine is currently running at 43C and 47C (CPU0 and CPU1). Room temperature is 25C. System case temp is 34C.

I see temperatures increase 3-5C when i run 30min number crunching programs.

60C seems high, but what is your case/room temp? To a good approximation, Tcpu - Tcase = a constant (~13C in my case). This constant determines the effectiveness of the heatsink.

I I found the stock AMD fans (70mm) on my system ran at ~6000rpm and sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I switched to the Swifttech 64V heatsinks with quite 80mm fans, and now my system is practically inaudible until the CDROM drive spins up.

That's funny, the stock fans that came with our Opterons (240s) are quiet as can be. Guess they switched suppliers.

The Tcpu - Tcase interests me, as it is fairly constant here as well (been feeding sensors output into a RRD database for a while now), but much higher than 13C. This gives me something to go on, thank you.
Kow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Opterons:
--------------------

Idle
-----
CPU1 - 29C
CPU2 - 31C

Full Load
-----
CPU1 - 36C
CPU2 - 40C

I use the heatsink & fan that come with the MSI Master2 FAR, which supposedly are really good. No overclocking.

I also have 10 fans...
4 case fans (1 80mm side, 2 80mm front, 1 120mm back), ATI cooling fan, 2 CPU fans, VIA chipset fan, 2Power supply fans- an exhaust and an intake from in the case.

The CPU fans are never on (cool'n'quiet), same with the 2 front case ones (manually turned off, these things are as loud as a turbo jet).
bughunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensors told me:
CPU0 Temp:+52.00 C
CPU1 Temp:+48.00 C
FAN1 (CPU0): 2532 RPM
FAN2 (CPU1): 2322 RPM

Tyan Thunder K8W
2 x 240, stock fans, BIOS 2.02

under load little higher fan speed and temperature.
Frank
toofastforyahuh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit my FX-53/socket 940 gets super hot.
I have decent case airflow and a ThermalTake SilentBoost K8 with a thin amount of the thermal grease (arctic silver). I know it's not good to overdo that stuff either--just a thin coat is all one needs.

Right now, after playing a DVD, the CPU is at 55.5 deg C, which is normal for it. During the last heatwave my CPU reached 68.5 deg C. (top floor, bad airflow in the room) I've never seen the CPU get below 49 deg C even with a fan blowing cool air right into an open case at night.

The system is not loud at all compared to others I own, though the CPU fan never gets to throttle down in speed.

I just hope future Opterons have P-states to help combat this.
jeffroman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its the silent boost heatsinks. turns out on a couple threads ive read else where the silent boost dont perform as well as the stock hsf's from AMD. i have two silentboosts, and my temps arent as good as i like. But im about to watercool my dual ops anyways. :)
dweigert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the water blocks from Danger Den :-) I have almost the same setup as you do.

Dan
siu00mjt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine never reaches above 45 and normaly sits at 35 but then i have seven case fans one of which sits right above the cpu and i have a thermaltake fan bigger than my fist sat on the cpu and the psu is a 440w tripple fan cooled thermaltake jobby.i do only use rounded cables and only have three drives and a dvd reader and a dvd burner in the case
1 * 1024 crucial ddr333
Gforce 7600 256mb
2 * maxtor max9 160Gb ata133 drives
fklama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPU0: 56°C
CPU1: 52°C
Fan0: 1000-9000 rpm (Thermal Throtteling)
Fan1: ~5500 rpm

I killed my CPU0 Fan with a Floppy cable. Bought a new one after that.
CPU0 Gets hot very quick, but the fan speeds up at about 40°C.

I know Atlons that run at a minimum of 60 or 70°C.

Frederik
Lemma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fklama wrote:
I know Atlons that run at a minimum of 60 or 70°C.
Frederik
You do? AthlonsXP too? The one in our fileserver at work ("normal" PC, university institution, must be as cheap as possible even if that means a little less stable server :-() never goes beond 42 under load and ~ 37 idle. Must be a good batch :-)

My AMD64 3200+ @2.2GHz (yes I have olverclocked it a bit ;-) is normally at ~32 idle and up to 50 under load.
oggialli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a A64 running at currently ~2,3GHz overclocked too. My cooling is as follows : two 120mm PAPST silent case fans running at 4 volts (very silent), 80mm running silently in Zalman 400B-APS PSU and Zalman 7000B-ALCU CPU cooler that is running in the 20dB silent mode (~1300 rpm) and under load my CPU temp never goes higher than 46C. Guess the A64:s run... Well, the arch surely rocks, silent, cool and fast as hell ;) (cool as hell anyone??) Guess it is because of SOI technology.
petlab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dual 246 in a 1U case. They range from 46 to 57 degrees. They are at 46 when the room is like 25 and they are idle. They get to 57 when they are at 100% running setiathome and the case temp is 37 degrees. I say case temp in that instance, because I can only remember that number measured in the colo.

I use 3 fans per processor, they are Papst 412JHH, a 40 mm fan with 14cfm, running at 13,000 rpm. Check this out - they are supposed to last 8 YEARS. Also, I bought some no-name passive heat sinks for the CPUs. They have a big solid copper block, and lots' o thin fins. In the block there is a heat pipe that expands the area meeting the fins.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual opteron 242 on a Tyan Thunder K8W, cooled with enormous Zalman AlCU fans. I keep my system busy running seti@home and folding@home so the CPUs are always at their maximum temp:
Code:
FAN1 (CPU0):
           2631 RPM  (min = 2000 RPM)
FAN2 (CPU1):
           2650 RPM  (min = 2000 RPM)
CPU1 Temp:+43.00 C  (low  =  -127 C, high =  +127 C)
System Temp:
          +38.00 C  (low  =  -127 C, high =  +127 C)
CPU0 Temp:+55.00 C  (low  =  -127 C, high =  +127 C)
Considering that they can't get any hotter, I think this is okay; they'd be in the low 40's if idling. If they ever got above 60 I'd worry. I wonder how much better they'd do if I improved air circulation around my box...

Hmmm. Maybye the gentoo-stats people should add a "sensors" category? It'd be useful to know what the average running temperature of an opteron is.
Kow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dual opteron setup with the MSI Master-2 FAR. I use MSI's "Cool'N'Quiet" which basically is keeping the CPU fans off, and I should also note I use the heatsink and fans supplied with the motherboard... as no other ones fit that are designed for socket 940's. I should also note that each HSF is different, the CPU2 fan runs at higher RPM's but has a much smaller heatsink.

Idle:
CPU1 - 109F
CPU2 - 116F
Ambient Temp: 93F
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kow wrote:
I have a dual opteron setup with the MSI Master-2 FAR. I use MSI's "Cool'N'Quiet" which basically is keeping the CPU fans off, and I should also note I use the heatsink and fans supplied with the motherboard... as no other ones fit that are designed for socket 940's. I should also note that each HSF is different, the CPU2 fan runs at higher RPM's but has a much smaller heatsink.

I have the same setup with 242s with these stock fans you speak about. I have a full tower with an 80mm exhaust at the top to keep the airflow. The stock fans are way too noisy. It drives me nuts. MSI has ballsed up the fan controller on this board as the fan speeds are not variable. they are either full on or half speed. I am aiming to either replace both fans with bigger diameter fans with adaptors or replace the "frankenstien" heatsink with a modified Xeon (there are a few long forum articles on the web with pictures).
Anyway:
Ambient Temp = 25C
Fans Full Speed = CPU1/2 43-45C
Fans Half Speed = CPU1/2 50-52C

If the fans annoy me I run:
echo 240 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/fan1_pwm
echo 240 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/fan2_pwm

If things get too hot (56C):
echo 0 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/fan1_pwm
echo 0 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/fan2_pwm

Its a sad situation but will change soon with the fan and case mods to keep the noise down and the temp hopefully around 45-50C
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: