keyboard issues and network not detected on install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: keyboard issues and network not detected on install Reply with quote

hello all,

i am trying to install gentoo from the minimal-livecd (2004.3) and am encountering a few issues.

firstly, while i am at the prompt, after every couple of key presses a message jumps in saying that there was an error in atkbd.c "unknown key pressed" and then some other stuff.
while it doesnt actually interfere with what i am typing (ie. my commands go through uninterupted) it is quite difficult to concentrate!
btw. i am using a microsoft "wireless natural multimedia" keyboard which i have plugged into the ps/2 port (i am not using it in USB)

secondly, the motherboards onboard nic is not recognized and i am not sure how to get it up - my motherboard is a gigabyte gt2004 fsb800 which, AFAIK has a realtek gigabit rthernet controller.
the lan has DHCP running and the router does all the internet connections neccessary - so bringing the nic up should be enough to get me going.

any suggestions on these issues?

bigthanks!
craigf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: network problem resolved Reply with quote

okay, after more googling and *loads* of hit-and-miss trying, i eventually solved the nic issue.

the realtek nic uses a sk98lin driver, thus:

# modprobe sk98lin

finds the nic and

# net-setup eth0

configs the network

now, i still have the keyboard problem... anyone???

buynow
thebigslide
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they keyboard errors are incidental. It is because the keyboard is passing keypresses that the system doesn't know what to do with, or wireless interference. I suspect the latter.

You need to find out the exact model of your mobo and check out the network chipset on gigabyte. if it's a gigabit chipset, it's probably http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_GA-8IPE1000%20Pro2.htm

which means you'll need to E1000 driver modprobed to get networking up.
craigf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thebigslide,

didnt try the e1000 driver, but the sk98lin driver works fine - this does make sense because i use the if_sk driver on fbsd.

the keyboard errors may well be incidental but they are damn irratating.
they dont appear in fbsd or in winxp - also, i have booted off a live knoppix cd and dont remember seeing it there either.
the big question is : how do i make it stop??

thanks
craigf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay - i've kind of solved my problem.
not sure what it was or what was causing it, but

i took the dmesg advice quite literally and simply assigned the unknown keystrokes to unused keycodes

# setkeycode e001 130
# setkeycode e059 131

since these were the only two that complained on a regular basis. others keys, like the mm-controls, complain too - but only when i press them. so i will leave them alone for now and resolve that (well documented) issue later.

much thanks for everyon....

well - thanks to thebigslide anyway
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: