View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Best image processing app for KDE?? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a image processing app for KDE, in a similar vein to PaintShop - I've looked at Gimp under GNOME but am less than impressed with GNOME desktop integration, therefore KDE is my choice of DT.

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't you want to run gimp under KDE? There are no problems doing that.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to avoid installing any GTK/GTK+ shite !! It has its believers/followers - I aint one of them HOWEVER I recognise the quality of GIMP and wondered if there is a comparable KDE(DCOP blah blah) equiv.

???

TIA

darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit? OH GOD!!!!!

And you even mentioned the DCOP server on the same sentence!!! :lol:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux wrote:
shit? OH GOD!!!!!

Yep - you see, we all have our opinions and loves/hates , that what makes the community so good. I like GIMP so much, if there isn't an equiv then I shall be forced (puke-puke) to install the GTK stuff I think, god damn it I'll try2avoid it though :lol:

darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:
darktux wrote:
shit? OH GOD!!!!!

Yep - you see, we all have our opinions and loves/hates , that what makes the community so good. I like GIMP so much, if there isn't an equiv then I shall be forced (puke-puke) to install the GTK stuff I think, god damn it I'll try2avoid it though :lol:

A community isn't made of 'shit' nor puke-pukes :twisted:

So please, do moderate your words, mkay? :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real equivalent for gimp under KDE. I'm afraid you are stuck with installing its dependencies :).
cbrese
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you could do is install the Geramik gtk/gtk theme so gtk and gtk2 apps look like default kde Keramik theme. There is an ebuild for it, but the latest version is much better and it's easy to install without emerge.

Check it out at http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3952
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supposedly the next major major version of gimp (perhaps gimp 2.0 or 1.5) will be more toolkit independent, which would make the long-fabled "kimp" probable. Of course, I doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon as most of gimp's authors are on haitus, gtk was originally created for gimp (gimp toolkit), and that kde+gnome integration is becoming pretty damn good.
Alowishus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:

It's not like you have to run Gnome or anything. What's wrong with just having some GTK libraries sitting out on your disk so GIMP can use them when necessary? Is your disk space that precious?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep the thread on the topic and without flame wars or it'll get locked.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Please keep the thread on the topic and without flame wars or it'll get locked.

Agreed. Thankyou!

RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alowishus wrote:
What's wrong with just having some GTK libraries sitting out on your disk so GIMP can use them when necessary?

Well, I'm not sure about other people, but honestly, if I had the choice I'd rather not even have GTK+ installed on my computer if I'm using QT, and the same goes for having GTK installed and not QT. (or, just one version of GTK)

While it's possible to use some themes in both enviroments, most of the time there are small problems, and there are just few-to-no good themes available that look the same in QT and GTK+/GTK+2. Heck, there are few themes for GTK+2 and GTK+ that both look good.

Plus, it's just a pain having to theme 2 or 3 widget-sets. :wink:

Of course, there's also just plain preferance. And, while GTK+ is a small library, most programs that call it these days seem to pull more and more of the Gnome system with them. (or at least it seems the GTK+2 apps do. Or maybe my Phoenix/Moz. compiles have tainted my opinon. ^^;; )

Of course, those are just my opinions, and I could be wrong(TM).

That said, perhaps Mosfet Paint?
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RdsArts wrote:
Alowishus wrote:
What's wrong with just having some GTK libraries sitting out on your disk so GIMP can use them when necessary?

Well, I'm not sure about other people, but honestly, if I had the choice I'd rather not even have GTK+ installed on my computer if I'm using QT, and the same goes for having GTK installed and not QT. (or, just one version of GTK)

While it's possible to use some themes in both enviroments, most of the time there are small problems, and there are just few-to-no good themes available that look the same in QT and GTK+/GTK+2. Heck, there are few themes for GTK+2 and GTK+ that both look good.

Plus, it's just a pain having to theme 2 or 3 widget-sets. :wink:

Of course, there's also just plain preferance. And, while GTK+ is a small library, most programs that call it these days seem to pull more and more of the Gnome system with them. (or at least it seems the GTK+2 apps do. Or maybe my Phoenix/Moz. compiles have tainted my opinon. ^^;; )

Of course, those are just my opinions, and I could be wrong(TM).

COULDN'T AGREE MORE :D
In my capacity as a Systems/Software engineer, I'm less than impressed with Gtk/+; QT is licensed (to a point) hwich is a shame, but then one must appreciate the organisations desire to 'protect quality' !!

puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
supposedly the next major major version of gimp (perhaps gimp 2.0 or 1.5) will be more toolkit independent, which would make the long-fabled "kimp" probable. Of course, I doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon as most of gimp's authors are on haitus, gtk was originally created for gimp (gimp toolkit), and that kde+gnome integration is becoming pretty damn good.

Correct. I heard talk of GIMP becoming modular (i.e. the UI being seperate from the engine (like licq, kinda)). I also head talk of GAIM becoming modular as well.

Gnome intergration is nowhere as good as KDE's. Basically if your going to have a highly intergrated desktop environment, you are going to need some system overhead, which is why KDE is brilliant...and heavy.

I'm becoming very excited (stop smirking :P) about GIMP & KDE intergration. Imagine Konqueror support with the gimp (cmon, the GTK file selector dialog sucks and you know it ;)), or being able to use the GIMP as a KPart intergrated into other programs. We really need to get over this whole Gnome vs. KDE thing and start looking at the big picture. Gnome's (or enlightenment's? whatever you choose) sexyness over KDE's genius architecture has long been a dream for me!

EDIT: Just looking through this thread again:
darktux wrote:
shit? OH GOD!!!!!

And you even mentioned the DCOP server on the same sentence!!!
That didn't make much sense, but it sounds like you were being a jerkoff. He asked a question and you bit his head off when he stated his needs. I can tell you make friends easily.
Alowishus wrote:
It's not like you have to run Gnome or anything. What's wrong with just having some GTK libraries sitting out on your disk so GIMP can use them when necessary? Is your disk space that precious?

He stated his needs. He is obviously aware that he could have megabytes and megabytes of libraries lying around on his machine just so he could use One program. Really, you should listen to your folks when they say "If you arn't gonna say something nice, don't say it".

And thanks to dazzle68 and Bloody Bastard for not biting the trolls and making this a generally pleasant thread. :)
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
I'm becoming very excited (stop smirking :P) about GIMP & KDE intergration. Imagine Konqueror support with the gimp (cmon, the GTK file selector dialog sucks and you know it ;)), or being able to use the GIMP as a KPart intergrated into other programs. We really need to get over this whole Gnome vs. KDE thing and start looking at the big picture. Gnome's (or enlightenment's? whatever you choose) sexyness over KDE's genius architecture has long been a dream for me!

Concur!! I'm looking forward to the next level of desktop integration that we might hope to see from the KDE guys.

puddpunk wrote:
He stated his needs. He is obviously aware that he could have megabytes and megabytes of libraries lying around on his machine just so he could use One program. Really, you should listen to your folks when they say "If you arn't gonna say something nice, don't say it".

EXACTLY! We're on the same wavelength. I don't wish to get embroiled into the GNOME vs. KDE debate, its been going a long time, I recognise and accept OTHER opinions, but I'd like to persue my own.

puddpunk wrote:
And thanks to dazzle68 and Bloody Bastard for not biting the trolls and making this a generally pleasant thread. :)

And thank you to puddpunk,& everyone else for a colourful, meaningfull debate and forum discussion. There are so many ideas and suggestions here, this thread will take most of the week to digest :) I shall be considering all the input and I'm sure everyones assistance is more than valuable.

keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, from a famous British Theologist....

"" Let us not judge our fellows on results of their actions, For it not what one does that makes one unique, .... it is the choices one makes ""

Something to ponder over.

BYE!

eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion:

gtk+ = works fine for me, even without gnome.

qt = does not work very well outside kde (in my case). all programs that are dynamically linked to qt i tried to run under my current wm (enlightenment 0.16) used to load parts of kde (i think it was kde-init) and crashed. qt-static-apps (like opera-static) work fine for me.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4

Last edited by eNTi on Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
my opinion:

gtk+ = is GNU, works fine, even without gnome.

qt = is NOT gnu (licensing problems), does not work very well outside kde. all programs that are dynamically linked to qt i tried to run under my current wm (enlightenment 0.16) used to load parts of kde (i think it was kde-init) and crashed. qt-static-apps (like opera-static) work fine for me.

I think you are a little confused...Qt apps will be fine for you to run (i.e. nvclock, kvirc or opera) but any apps that need to load chunks of KDE (i.e. konqueror) or any other program compiled with KDE libs, will need to load all the crap which is normally preloaded in the KDE desktop Environment, if it loads at all.

QT doesn't depend on KDE, just as GTK doesn't depend on gnome.

And on the licensing issue, the Q license is really a free license when you look at it. It lets you look at the source code, and have it for free. Many programs use the BSD license instead of the GPL, do you still use that? It's not the GPL license but its along the same lines, which is really expected. This is a company trying to make a living and make some worthwhile software (have you ever seen qtopia? beats the shit out of palmos).

Quote:
btw: this thread sux big time. keep it technical and don't suck each other's d***. thx. :evil:

What? like your last sentance? You know, your post was doing just that until you wrote your little footnote. Well done.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
my opinion:

gtk+ = is GNU, works fine, even without gnome.

qt = is NOT gnu (licensing problems), does not work very well outside kde. all programs that are dynamically linked to qt i tried to run under my current wm (enlightenment 0.16) used to load parts of kde (i think it was kde-init) and crashed. qt-static-apps (like opera-static) work fine for me.

btw: this thread sux big time. keep it technical and don't suck each other's d***. thx. :evil:

OH MY GOD.. do we really have to get into this again... QT is GPLed.. it's free, hell it was free before (even Stallman agrees on this) the QPL just isn't compatable with the GPL, but it was still free software..

I'm sick of this.. QT is free and it has been free for a long time.. if you must attack QT, please do so on technical merits.

Feel free to check against the Free Software license list on http://www.gnu.org./licenses/license-list.html.

Last edited by Lovechild on Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread somewhere else flaming gtk+ and qt, go there if you wanna do it.

One more OT post and I'll shut it down.
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
And on the licensing issue, the Q license is really a free license when you look at it. It lets you look at the source code, and have it for free.

If I remember correctly, you can also compile windows stuff with the Qt library, but that's a totally different license (and it's commercial?). That's a big plus for developers.

I prefer to use the gtk stuff myself, since I don't use Gnome/KDE and the gtk apps look fine to me. (with a nice theme, that is :) )
Oh yeah, and 99% of my favorite programs use gtk, too.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, loko what we got here guys, another QT/GNOME Charcoal Flamed Grill!! What did I start?

Anyway, not wishing to be on the BloodyBastard's death-wish-list, I shall sign-off this thread now, and digest all the usefull nuggets of information regarding Qt/Gnome libs etc, I may even find time to call this thread up from time-2-time when I'm feeling down :)

Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzle68 wrote:
Gosh, loko what we got here guys, another QT/GNOME Charcoal Flamed Grill!! What did I start?

Anyway, not wishing to be on the BloodyBastard's death-wish-list, I shall sign-off this thread now, and digest all the usefull nuggets of information regarding Qt/Gnome libs etc, I may even find time to call this thread up from time-2-time when I'm feeling down :)

Anyways, flamewars aside www.mosfet.org(develops PixiePlus and some Painter program) and apps.kde.com are probably the only places to look for pure KDE programs for that type of task.
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original question. Is there something comparable to Gimp for the KDE environment. Short answer...... No!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: