Sharing Boot and Swap Question....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getnofied
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Sharing Boot and Swap Question.... Reply with quote

When I intall gentoo by creating its own root space..and sharing the boot and swap..this question might be la,e but here it goes do i use current kernel config or compile a new kernel if so what steps should i take to have a succesful install... 8O
magnesium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest following all the steps except for the ones where you format the drives that have data on them that you need.

It took me like 3 readings of your question to understand what you meant, and I'm still not sure if I've got your meaning 100$, but I assume you are talking about following the installation steps as outlined in the Gentoo guides, and just want your root partition (i.e. "/") on a seperate virgin partition.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharing Boot and Swap Question.... Reply with quote

getnofied wrote:
When I intall gentoo by creating its own root space..and sharing the boot and swap..this question might be la,e but here it goes do i use current kernel config or compile a new kernel if so what steps should i take to have a succesful install... 8O

Use SENTENCES!

Are you asking of you can share your swap and boot partitions??? If so, then, yes, no problem there.
getnofied
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Kernel...... Reply with quote

sorry was in a hurry had to type quickly hers brief descrip....what im doing is installing gentoo..i currently have Redhat 9.0 intalled . I have installed and compiled gentoo i am currently at the point of kernel configuration , and i am curious if could use Redhat existing kernel or do i have to compile gentoo kernel.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel...... Reply with quote

getnofied wrote:
sorry was in a hurry had to type quickly hers brief descrip....what im doing is installing gentoo..i currently have Redhat 9.0 intalled . I have installed and compiled gentoo i am currently at the point of kernel configuration , and i am curious if could use Redhat existing kernel or do i have to compile gentoo kernel.

8O

Ummm... no... I wouldn't.... compile a new kernel for the love of all that's holy.... don't even try it.

As for the swap space.... it should be fine if they use the same partition.
getnofied
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: alright didnt think so..... Reply with quote

alright didnt think so..i new to the scene so wanted to get a opinion from an experienced user :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: