XMMS, DRI, and me...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breetie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: XMMS, DRI, and me... Reply with quote

Ahem...yes, well...more fun.

Short of it: DRI does not work with any OpenGL-based XMMS plugins.

Details: I'm running Gentoo on a Tecra 8100 laptop. In order to get DRI/DRM and the various related services of OpenGL to function, I had to custom-compile the CVS versions of X.Org, MESA, and the DRM module for the kernel. Therefore, I'm running a pre-release version of X.Org...observe:

Code:
This is a pre-release version of the The X.Org Foundation X11.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the The X.Org Foundation "monolithic tree" CVS
repository hosted at http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg/
X Window System Version 6.8.1.99 (Minimal DRI build from X.org tree)

Now...yes, the obligatory assurances that DRI is, in fact, functional within X:

From Xorg.0.log:

Code:
(**) SAVAGE(0): DRI is enabled

From glxinfo:

Code:
direct rendering: Yes

From dmesg:

Code:
[drm] Initialized savage 1.0.0 20011023 on minor 0: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/MX-MV

Glxgears runs at approximately 340fps. So yes...DRI is enabled. And it works. Unless I'm using an XMMS plugin. Then they refuse to use DRI. So...

I've unmerged, then re-emerged XMMS, because I DID install XMMS BEFORE getting DRI working in X. So, in case the plugins were actually taking their cues from XMMS itself, I reinstalled it. This, of course, had utterly no effect.

And, much like beating a dead horse, I'm all per-sweating, frustrated and just as accomplished. I don't suppose any of you kind Gentoo folks out there have any idea where I'm missing the tell-tale whodunnit clue, would you? Please?

I said the magic word. Now you're obligated to help.

Seriously, any ideas would be really helpful, as one might imagine. I'm a stickler for perfection, and I have everything else working great, except this one, last little thing. And of course, because I'm a detail freak, I must have it working! My life will be utterly meaningless, and the stars shall fall from the ether like snow on a winter wind!

*Sigh* Okay, maybe the dramatics are a bit much, but you get the idea. Um...help?

Update:

After doing some testing with xscreensaver (it's a laptop...what do you need xscreensaver for?), I've found that--as in XMMS--DRI is not working for it, either. Any idea why glxinfo and glxgears wouldn't have a problem using the hardware, but everything else does?

--fortune
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: