View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shotpiece
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the entire reason the split KDE ebuilds were created? If you haven't given them a chance yet, it's not too difficult to just filter out all that clunky superfluous crap you dont need.. right?
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynjell wrote:
The problem with that is the same with using nautilus. it does wierd stuff to my desktop...

I dunno about konqueror, but you can run nautilus as "nautilus --no-desktop". If you find yourself running it from the command line, just use your ~/.bashrc to alias it.

BTW, the only reason I suggested using openbox with GNOME is because you said you liked GNOME except for those couple of problems. And also, if GNOME menu editing doesn't work for you using applications:/// you should file a bug.
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox is great; it's the best lightwieght WM that I've used. I still keep KDE running full-time, for web-browsing, email, etc, but I usually keep fluxbox funning on vt8 for when I fell like it.
Registered Linux User #363420
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaporz wrote:
icewm with the truecurve theme

second that ..... IceWM is super-configurable. And the best thing is, ALL the options are in ~/.icewm (copy them from /usr/share/icewm/ or something ..), and there's gui editors/config settings apps too.... emerge icewm-tools

It's fast, too. :)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the KDE is slow argument we keep hearing over and over again.

At school we are running LiveCD based KDE desktops with 450Mhz machines and they run faster than the same machines with Windows 2000 installed on HD.

Like several people have mentioned already, check out the new split ebuild for KDE 3.4 beta1. I'm running my stable system with them and work wonderfully.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I run a full KDE 3.4 B1 on my PII 400mhz and it runs extremely well, better than anything else I've tried on this box.
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blmartin777 wrote:
I use fvwm and Rox for my filemanager and I love rox.

Ok, thanks.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rox is very good. thanks for that tip...

But, the only thing I've found so far near as clean as gnome was kahakai, which is actually a port of Blackbox, so when I tried flux, well I got what I was looking for. It's clean enough on all levels to use as a WM...

What I need now is a C++ IDE that isn't gnome or kde based. GTK is fine, if not enouraged, but DE reliance I can't do.
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, granted, KDE isn't slow, but compared to gnome, it's not as fast on many of the little things. And my do I love the eye candy! Sadly, it's not polished well enough. What they need to do, is hold off on development, and start a major project to revamp the code, and get features working that aren't working (like the built in kernel vewer) and get rid of machine MODEL specific things...

They need to clean out the much, then I'll switch back. that is, if they sex it up a bit more...
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: I misunderstood you post, my apologies.

Last edited by Lepaca Kliffoth on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it's not slow! My machine more than makes it fast, the point is, it has worthless shit on it. Fluxbox is great, but our community lacks good apps that aren't dependant on desktops yet still are sophisticated. Granted, CLI is okay, but I'm looking for something clean and pleasing to the eye is all....

Anyway, KDE was fast, but it was clunky in the sense that it has way too much crap built into it...

And uh, I know kde has a menu editor + updater, it's gnome 2.8 that's lacking.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynjell wrote:
Anyway, KDE was fast, but it was clunky in the sense that it has way too much crap built into it...

Then use the new split ebuilds and only install the pieces you want. If its fast, and you call it clunky, you must mean the interface is too cluttered for you.
It's cutomizable. Everytime you say that people chime in that the default GUI should have less...well that is personal preference. I like it the way it is.

I don't think most apps have too much crap builtin. Because they use kparts it just provides a lot of functionality. The more advanced the GUI gets, the more important this will be. You modify a kpart to add a new input device XYZ, and automatically ever app using that kpart will be able to use it! No modification.

I do think a problem with KDE is there are so many great features and KIO slaves that go unnoticed by most people.

I think there is an old misconception of the extensibility of konqueror for instance. Sure it is like IE in that it can do everything, but those things are done through KIO slaves and as modules which is completely different. It's not this big lumbering application because there is so much stuff in it.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE meta ebuilds means you emerge kdelibs (arts if you want the sound server) and then you emerge only_the_kde_packages_i_want and it will pull in a few package libraries and you're done. No kcmlinuz, no klaptop, no ibm thinkpad tools, sony vaio tools, no lilo config, etc, etc, etc, etc..... No "your clunkiness feeling" left. :roll:

This topic still has me peering under the bridge for you know who.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, the interface is pretty, but I think there should be less random junk in it. For example, the control panel has a very machine specific menu on it, I don't want that...

But anyway, I think KDE is good, but not for me. If I become a leet C++ coder anytime soon, I'll make a goal out of it to recode kde. The most of me wants to see have of the app integration dead, so that it's just the desktop. Thereby, increasing modularity...

Of course, konquerer, as well as the things that make the kde environment even load would be there, I just don't like the concept behind it. Nice to use, but I'm having a hell of a time using fluxbox, everything I get to choose. I have total control over it all...

the only thing I miss now is K3B.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynjell wrote:
Well, granted, KDE isn't slow, but compared to gnome, it's not as fast on many of the little things

Like what?
Aynjell wrote:

And my do I love the eye candy! Sadly, it's not polished well enough. What they need to do, is hold off on development, and start a major project to revamp the code, and get features working that aren't working (like the built in kernel vewer) and get rid of machine MODEL specific things...

They need to clean out the much, then I'll switch back. that is, if they sex it up a bit more...

Why don't you go away and come back when you have something to show rather than blow off a lot of hot air that simply looks ridiculous.

I, for one, find KDE to be fast, have all the eyecandy I need, have all the little things that I need for my work. What more can I want?

Erik
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, how about you fuck off.

I am saying kde is bloated, not slow. There is a lot of bullshit in it that shouldn't be there. I don't care if I have to custom compile it or not to get rid of it, it's still bullshit. If you have a good reason kde needs to have specific settings built in by default for use with toshiba laptops, tell me. Those sorts of things should only be added afterwards. Or, how about their little kernel thing? Of course, they can't support 2.6...

What's up with all of the muck in kde? there isn't a need for half of the shit, and some of the cool things in kde aren't even done well. The icon zooming looks like ass, the transpareny is slow, and furthermore, they only have one good theme (plastik)! How is kde any better than fluxbox or gnome? It isn't.

Then there's the matter of GTK vs QT. Flat out GTK wins. It looks better, it's easier to theme, and it's used in much better programs. So, the themer loses too. Oh, I almost forgot, they did do one thing right: they have a menu editor. haza for KDE...

God I hate those pompous pricks who thinks that everyone has to share their opinions. I don't like kde, those are my reasons, if you don't like it, then go away. I am not going to let my linux freedom be spoiled by a high-and-mighty jerk like you.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll:

I thought this thread was done, had the fork stuck in it, going down the hatch and being digested already...

If you don't like KDE the so be it but quit playing troll about it. Move on and use what you think is so great and quit bitchin about all your KDE gripes. Just because you don't like something doesn't make the implementation wrong.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't respond like that out of anger about anything to do with kde, rather that prick telling me what he did (Go away, blowing hot air?). I hate people who think everyone must share their ideas. Zealouts fucking drive me nuts...
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see...
Quote:

I am saying kde is bloated, not slow. There is a lot of bullshit in it that shouldn't be there. I don't care if I have to custom compile it or not to get rid of it, it's still bullshit. If you have a good reason kde needs to have specific settings built in by default for use with toshiba laptops, tell me. Those sorts of things should only be added afterwards. Or, how about their little kernel thing? Of course, they can't support 2.6...

This looks very much like a bashing of kde.... it's very clear.

Quote:

What's up with all of the muck in kde? there isn't a need for half of the shit, and some of the cool things in kde aren't even done well. The icon zooming looks like ass, the transpareny is slow, and furthermore, they only have one good theme (plastik)! How is kde any better than fluxbox or gnome? It isn't.

Again, muck? #*$?, aren't done well? That's not praise for kde, just your opinion, not how it is.

Quote:

Then there's the matter of GTK vs QT. Flat out GTK wins. It looks better, it's easier to theme, and it's used in much better programs. So, the themer loses too.

First off it's Qt, second off it's not a "themer".

Quote:

Oh, I almost forgot, they did do one thing right: they have a menu editor. haza for KDE...

It sort of goes along with the kde principle that if you have a feature, you have a way to configure it easily.

I eagerly await for your wm/de that is built around the KDE K-menu editor (using gtk of course) which you so kindly approve of. :roll:
caravela
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Also Find KDE to be Fast , KDE applications seem to better interpolate with each other, Konqueror (througth plugins) you can have it intregated with anything, image viewers, network stuff, multimedia, and so on. With KIO_SLAVES just edit files via network on the fly and so on,wich really makes working easy and faster(no mounts. no copys to here and there), just edit and save was you do locally, with a lot of protocols suported ssh(fish://), Samba(smb://),ftp,http, and so on.
The software Stack for QT/KDE is plenty see http://www.kde-apps.org

KDE applications(in KDE) they run start faster and they glue toghether better. I just find Gnome to be a bunch of loose aplications and Nautilus isn't that great either IMHO, okay it is pretty, but what about usability, produtivity, that is what really matters,and for me and KDE is by far better in that fields, Kcontrol panel has a lot of stuff , yeah sure you re-configure your DE every day ?

People that run ONLY Linux FULL time, i think they will find KDE better to their needs, better applications intregation, ease to use, great software stack, it can be addapted to every single need you want at the moment with out major waste of work and time.AS for GTK apps i just run one or two from time to time and also there is GtK-qt-engine wich applies kde theme settings to gtk apps.

EDIT : forgot to mention that applications that use kde technologies such as kio_slaves, are not bound to what they have to offer but also intregate what that technologies have to offer, ie gwenview(image viewer) can open on the fly every single compressed archive and browse your images via network with out any major work from the developer, and user.

But if you have Kde and you are running most GTK applications of course it is gonna be slow, in this cases Gnome or xfce 4.2 seems to be a logic choice.

Anyway everything depends on What you want to do, and what you want it to. Not How pretty it looks, just to impress your friends .... , to me that is just pure bullshit.

ps:.note this is just my point, iam not trying to flame gnome or something like that, i just find it not suited for my needs.

Last edited by caravela on Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE is bloated but not nearly as bloated as Windows. I use KDE and it is perfectly fine as far as speed goes. I also have e17 installed and run it too just for fun.
caravela
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it has to many config options, but you can tune allmost anything to your needs and never care about that anymore, and also they don't get in your way either. as for many useless apps Kde split ebuilds taked care of that.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please notice the Forum Guidelines about language and calling other people names.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=525
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=120351

Moved to dups in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=2676
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: